Lenexa Feeder Manager Has Rollaway?

helenofcalifornia

I wonder how many feeder drivers that have DRIVEN their 31 years, have 31 years of safe driving? Seems like they could train the trainer in some areas of driving. 31 years of driving a truck, not sharing it with a desk, is an unbelievable feat, let alone with all 31 years having no accidents. Congrats Race!

P

pickup

OK ... I see your point. Your position is that the trainer should be a better driver than the person that they are training.

That never occurred to me and in my opinion is not a pragmatic prerequisite to be a trainer. If the feeder driver is a new driver then the trainer is probably a "better" driver.

Stop and think about it...tennis players have coaches that they could beat 6-0, 6-0 but rely heavily on the coach to keep their skills sharp and make sure they are not picking up bad habits.

Well, let's face it hoax, if the coaches could beat the professional tennis players, they would quit the job and join the professional circuit. The coaching job is filled by someone who can't beat the player . And key point, the coach answers to the player and the player decides what he will do and what he won't (unless your coach is your father, eh serena and venus) so if he suggests something that doesn't make sense, you don't follow it. Try telling your feeder trainer what he said is not valid for a particular circumstance.

Let's look at pitching coaches in the major leagues. Have you ever seen a pitching coach who didn't actually pitch as a minor leaguer and/or a major leaguer before taking the job? Is there a school to become a pitching coach? (NO) and if there were, would any pitcher listen to that coach when he came out with his "diploma" (hell no).

As for experience, well ups won't hire truck school graduates for casual feeder positions . They want a year's worth of accident free driving before they will hire someone for a temp peak position. So ups knows the value of experience as well.

I admit , the trainer can serve a valuable role in refreshing or teaching the ups way. but experience means a helluva lot more.

This started out as a reply to Hoax but it wasn't directed entirely at him.

Oh my girlfriend locked me out of here for a week(she changed my password) but I am back after learning my lesson (yeah we will see ) I think she is going to join so she can monitor how much I post. I tried finding my old dave kingman picture on the web, but can't find it. She substituted it with a picture of homer . Oh, well, I'll find a different avatar

Braveheart

Tie must have hit his head. How can anybody think a "driving school" is as qualified or as tough as 31 years of 50 hour work weeks driving a big rig.

Oh a manager defending his own that is who.

A roll away is a termination period. Typical how managers get "incident" while we get terminations.

Tie, at least be honest and agree that the manager who had the roll away should be terminated. He can get his job back down the road through a panel of his peers.

P

pickup

Tie must have hit his head. How can anybody think a "driving school" is as qualified or as tough as 31 years of 50 hour work weeks driving a big rig.

Oh a manager defending his own that is who.

A roll away is a termination period. Typical how managers get "incident" while we get terminations.

Tie, at least be honest and agree that the manager who had the roll away should be terminated. He can get his job back down the road through a panel of his peers.

yeah , just imagine if 705red started a thread about how a feeder driver let his tractor roll and hit a post. And then red stated we are going to fight this termination and get his job back, what would tie say to that?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Tie and race, congrats on both of your accomplishments!

Hoax, you are on a tear with your moderating, keep up the good work!

And Pickup, dump that girl. If she is running your life to this degree now, woe to you if you ever marry her.

P

pickup

Tie and race, congrats on both of your accomplishments!

Hoax, you are on a tear with your moderating, keep up the good work!

And Pickup, dump that girl. If she is running your life to this degree now, woe to you if you ever marry her.

I'll take your advice under consideration. Just saw Tyson tonight, great movie.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Ron Bennington, from the "Ron and Fez" radio show, interviewed James Toback, the director of Tyson. From listening to that interview, though I am no fan of boxing, it seems like that film would be fascinating to watch just because Mike was such a cultural icon in my youth.

P

pickup

Ron Bennington, from the "Ron and Fez" radio show, interviewed James Toback, the director of Tyson. From listening to that interview, though I am no fan of boxing, it seems like that film would be fascinating to watch just because Mike was such a cultural icon in my youth.

Hooyah! I wouldn't have seen it if the reviews weren't so positive. It was very compelling and I am not a fan of boxing. Basically, Mike narrates throughout the whole movie and he is very honest, although maybe biased.

diesel96

Lets settle this once and for all, I need somebody who knows how to set up a poll....and ask this question

If you were qualified to work a sleeper team route, would you be able to sleep more comfortably with a 20/30 yr proven safe Feeder driver or a DTS grad ?

No disrepect to the DTS grad, it's a tough boot camp regimate they must pass, but I'm sleeping with the wiley ole veteran. (In a non-friend@ggity way of course)..:wink2:...and don't you edit that out Hoax...:happy-very:
Please, make sure your nuts and valve stem are tight and secure....lol

Feederdrivermack

DTS grad knows how to recite all the ways to do all the procedures in correct order but otherwise has very little experiance. We have 2 in our district that are dts certified with 2 years with a class A license.I personally would rather have a veteran drive with me on a team than a sup that knows how to memorize the how to book. I know the dts is a very hard course, but lets look at the big picture.
So.........
If I need a trainer to train me I call a dts feeder sup.
If I need a partner to drive on a sleeper team I call the veteran.

Why would you knock a guy with 31 years safe driving and how could you.

Feederdrivermack

Anyone hear of this? I ain't from there but heard it through the "pipe", so I won't opine until I hear more about it.

Supposedly, Lenexa was having a feeder manager/supervisor audit, you know, where some OTHER know-it-all comes in and tests them? Word is, he forgot to set tractor brake, rolled into post. More word is, they just called it an "incident". Further word is, Lenexa feeder drivers crashed the 800 Business Conduct line on this one.

Our manager does not even have a class A so I dont know how this would apply to him

bluehdmc

Isn't there a saying those that can do, those that can't teach?

I'm sure DTS is tough, but so is spending 11 hours behind the wheel, with the occasional bathroom break. I'd prefer to be in the sleeper with someone else driving who's done it before, and might have enough sense to pull over if they were feeling drowsy. Or at least have enough practical experience to recognize a potentially hazardous situation that may not have been covered in the classroom. As I stated in a previous post, I've taken a few motorcycle safety courses, all good, in each one, given by a different instructor there were suggestions (or tips) made that weren't mentioned by another instructor. I'm sure some of these tips were garnered by the instructors as a result of their own practical experience riding.
I've also found some of these tips also apply to driving my car and driving a feeder truck, and these sort of things weren't mentioned in feeder school.

A

anonymous6

couple of problems with your little fantasy. We do not use the work "illuminator" we say our three ID Lights and two clearance lights are illuminated when demonstrating the pretrip. Another fantasy killer is that there is no corporate auditer this year auditing facilitys due to cost cutting initiatives.

As for your the rest of your fantasy I would dare say there are many of you reeking with all that "experience" that could not pass DTS. In fact my experience has been that most of you that claim to know feeders so much better then us can not even perform a proper pretrip without missing at least two dot required items.

But yet because you have been getting behind the wheel of a tractor longer then we have you now claim some type of driving superiority....:)

As a 28 year veteran, I have to agree with you. I would like to go to DTS myself for better technical training.

Even with 2 million miles under my belt I always learn ( or relearn ) some good stuff on the ride alongs with our on road supes.

All the chatter about who is a better driver or trainer is just talk. None of it really has anything to do with the actual topic. The fact of the matter is the supervisor who has been trained at DTS had a roll away. His treatment should be the same as it is for a driver that has a roll away. Why should it be any different.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All the chatter about who is a better driver or trainer is just talk. None of it really has anything to do with the actual topic. The fact of the matter is the supervisor who has been trained at DTS had a roll away. His treatment should be the same as it is for a driver that has a roll away. Why should it be any different.

Because the sup is not covered by the Union contract which defines what is to be done and not be done,
The Union also enforces the concept that any single reaction by the company sets precedent for any future reaction ... this is the downside of being a union employee... The Nature of the Beast.

Non-Union employees can be treated in a more appropriate way based on a more holistic evaluation of the situation.

tieguy

Banned

For some reason you guys never see your union buddy throw the first punch you only see it when I return fire. Go figure.

tieguy

Banned
yeah , just imagine if 705red started a thread about how a feeder driver let his tractor roll and hit a post. And then red stated we are going to fight this termination and get his job back, what would tie say to that?

another poster with blinders on. Please post the quote where I defended the management person who had the roll away?

tieguy

Banned
DTS grad knows how to recite all the ways to do all the procedures in correct order but otherwise has very little experiance. We have 2 in our district that are dts certified with 2 years with a class A license.I personally would rather have a veteran drive with me on a team than a sup that knows how to memorize the how to book. I know the dts is a very hard course, but lets look at the big picture.
So.........
If I need a trainer to train me I call a dts feeder sup.
If I need a partner to drive on a sleeper team I call the veteran.

Why would you knock a guy with 31 years safe driving and how could you.

I know about 15 to 20 in my area of the world that are DTS certified. About a third are former drivers. The former drivers all had a harder time going through the DTS process because they had developed bad driving habits as former feeder drivers.

You can learn things from the veteran and you can learn things from the DTS trained instructor.

I'll give you an example. Most drivers never check thier necessary documents and permits and could not tell you everything that goes into that packet. thats beneath them cause they have all this skill and thats just some ups mumbo jumbo.

We had a guy that got stopped at a wiegh station and could not find the instructions for the dot inspector to access his hours and could not pull his hours information in Ivis. As a result he will be paying the state of maryland a 280 dollar fine.

Now the question to ask is would that 31 year driver have stressed checking all the paperwork? Probably not. Thats one of about 350 items a DTS trainer is required to learn and demonstrate on his/her pretrip.

As I said before I can do a pretrip audit on any 30 year safe driver and find he misses checking at least two items required by the DOT. The 30 year driver that checks them all is the exception not the rule.

So if you're still paying attention at this point which most readers here do not my point again is that you can learn from both the 30 year guy and the DTS trained instructor.

We have some feeder drivers here . would any of them like to take a stab at listing the dot required items on the tractor?

Last edited:

some1else

Banned
im honestly confused; a few posts ago you said you had 28 years safe driving; was that prior to going into management?
tie can you clarify this for us. its unclear whether you have 28 years safe driving (as a ups feeder driver) or 28 years "safe driving" commuting in your minivan...

If you were qualified to work a sleeper team route, would you be able to sleep more comfortably with a 20/30 yr proven safe Feeder driver or a DTS grad ?
whoever farts the least duh ;)