Lunch Runners

Overpaid Union Thug

A while back one of our drivers figured out that we only needed to record 31 minutes of lunch to avoid showing up on a report. One of the supervisors confirmed it so now allot of our drivers have been taking advantage of it. So now they are only working for free for 29 minutes instead of 60.:lol:

take your time

How do I get my friends at work, (friends because we hang out outside of UPS), to STOP RUNNING THEIR LUNCHES???

I show them they still take the hour out of their paycheck, they constantly have to help, (which the complain about), the stop counts keep rising, but yet, they keep taking 20-30 minute lunches, and that's if they take them at all...

Any advice would be great

wait....brainlet here. So let me get this straight: Any time we take a lunch, we don't get paid for it. Correct? So if we take an hour's lunch, and don't move or do anything but eat...we don't make any money. Now, in the Central State Region, we also get a paid a 10 minute break. So, if I wanted to punch in a 10-minute lunch and a 10-minute break, at the end of the day I am being paid to take a lunch. Total rest time would be 20 Minutes. Why would a driver want to take such a long lunch, if he would be losing money not getting paid?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
wait....brainlet here. So let me get this straight: Any time we take a lunch, we don't get paid for it. Correct? So if we take an hour's lunch, and don't move or do anything but eat...we don't make any money. Now, in the Central State Region, we also get a paid a 10 minute break. So, if I wanted to punch in a 10-minute lunch and a 10-minute break, at the end of the day I am being paid to take a lunch. Total rest time would be 20 Minutes. Why would a driver want to take such a long lunch, if he would be losing money not getting paid?

HuH!!

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
The regular scheduled workday shall consist of eight (8) consecutive hours, with an established start time excluding a non-paid meal period of either one half (1/2) or one (1) hour.

^ Northern California Supplement

Personally, I like taking a 30 min lunch. That’s plenty of time for me. I don’t need an extra 30 minute unpaid break.

Ghost in the Darkness

Some people are just that dumb. Some of us understand that we work too hard to work for free or donate our time. UPS is not a charity but they will gladly accept any givebacks. Only way drivers will learn is to get burned by it and some won't even learn then. We had a driver who had a 2nd accident in 3 years (the 2nd wasn't his fault) but management wants him gone because he is always under and they know he takes "shortcuts". The driver changed his ways for a couple weeks now is back to "gunning" it and has forgotten already that they will bury him when they have the chance.

35years

Gravy route
Help me out here, i'm trying to understand this whole lunch situation

Currently:
Central region:

Punch in 9:00 Punch out 7:00 (10 hours physically at work)
Two ten minute paid breaks taken.
40 minutes unpaid lunch taken.
=9 hours and 20 minutes paid

Punch in 9:00 Punch out 6:20
Two 10 minute paid breaks taken.
No unpaid lunch taken.
=9 hours and 20 minutes paid

Pre-California lawsuit
Punch in 9:00 Punch out 6:20 (9 hours and 20 minutes physically at work)
Two 10 minute paid breaks taken
No unpaid lunch taken.
=8 hours and 40 minutes paid

Punch in 9:00 Punch out 7:00 pm (10 hours at work)
No breaks or lunch taken
Write in two 10 minute paid breaks which you work through
=9 hours paid
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes they did subtract 40 minutes of unpaid lunch from your pay even if you did not take it back then! If they are starting this again, as some have said, the will have a lawsuit.

35years

Gravy route
OMG! Do you really think that happens...please stop with all the old wives tales.

You are full of sheet.
And you know it.
They used to subtract 40 minutes of unpaid lunch even if you did not take it.
California drivers got backpay but the rest of us didn't.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Here on the east coast you are required to record an hour UNPAID lunch. In my center, no one enforces the lunch rule so a lot of drivers take only a 15 minute or so lunch. However, they are technically working for the other 45 minutes since they must record the hour unpaid lunch, thus donating their time doing 45 minutes of free work for UPS.

I'll admit there are times that the non-enforcement is nice, like on Fridays when I will on occasion duck out early and skip lunch. However, I don't feel like donating hundreds of dollars a month to UPS to run through the day and be out by 4:30pm with no rest or food.

35years

Gravy route
If you did not work through your lunch, and instead invested that $56.46 (rate for 1 hour of OT as of August 2019) in overtime into your 401k in stocks, you might be surprised...

Over your 35 year career you are handing UPS over 3 million dollars!

You can run the numbers below through the link I provided. I assumed a conservative 8% return on investment in stocks (historically 12.43% long term). Also I assumed 3% annual raises (conservative compared to historical increases)
One hour of overtime pay at $56.46 per hour, 5 days a week.

Your total is $3,407733 after 35 years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you assume the actual 12.43% avg historical return on investment for the stock market, one hour of OT per day invested...

Your total is $9,148540 after 35 years.
401k Calculator - Bankrate.com

Is working off the clock before punch in or during break worth it? One half an hour every day is $4,574270 you are giving them!

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Here on the east coast you are required to record an hour UNPAID lunch. In my center, no one enforces the lunch rule so a lot of drivers take only a 15 minute or so lunch. However, they are technically working for the other 45 minutes since they must record the hour unpaid lunch, thus donating their time doing 45 minutes of free work for UPS.

I'll admit there are times that the non-enforcement is nice, like on Fridays when I will on occasion duck out early and skip lunch. However, I don't feel like donating hundreds of dollars a month to UPS to run through the day and be out by 4:30pm with no rest or food.

This will end up in a court of law. Time cards can be checked against DIAD records.

My advice...If you are foolish enough to skip recorded lunch don't be surprised when they fire you and your bosses for dishonesty.

MrBrown

I say worry about yourself. Keep your nose out my business. I work all day without taking a break. I try to finish my deliveries before pickups. Once I get back to the building I punch out for three tens and no one takes the other 50 minutes. So I actually make the same money and get home 50 minutes earlier. If they were stealing 50 minutes from me I wouldn't do that but they don't. I check my timecard. Worry about yourself

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A while back one of our drivers figured out that we only needed to record 31 minutes of lunch to avoid showing up on a report. One of the supervisors confirmed it so now allot of our drivers have been taking advantage of it. So now they are only working for free for 29 minutes instead of 60.:lol:
Idiots...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sweet Jesus...what don’t you understand about it.... the company will load you up with more stops if they know you are only going to take a 10 minute paid break....your body is going to be :censored2:ed in 20 years if you don’t get adequate time off in the MIDDLE of the day to eat and rest....I see young drivers who have had surgeries on their knees, backs, and shoulders.....most of the time these guys/gals were runners....it’s not that hard to understand....you guys are trying to make a 10-12 hour day into 8.5....just stop being a mgt pushover little bitch and get on the 9.5 list already....

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
Help me out here, i'm trying to understand this whole lunch situation
What to do with 1 hr lunch ?? OK Sir!! ((((STOP WORKING)))))
81s4GQJD35L._SY550_.jpg
.......Good JOB Keep the great job !! and bon appetit .

MrBrown

Now we just need one of our drivers to learn the difference between allot and a lot...
Sweet Jesus...what don’t you understand about it.... the company will load you up with more stops if they know you are only going to take a 10 minute paid break....your body is going to be :censored2:ed in 20 years if you don’t get adequate time off in the MIDDLE of the day to eat and rest....I see young drivers who have had surgeries on their knees, backs, and shoulders.....most of the time these guys/gals were runners....it’s not that hard to understand....you guys are trying to make a 10-12 hour day into 8.5....just stop being a mgt pushover little bitch and get on the 9.5 list already....
That's just it. I hate sitting in the truck or wherever doing nothing. I've paced like a cage lion. Good, give more stops. I come to work to make money and deliver packages. Not sit in the truck for an hour not getting paid. I'm 40, I can handle now. Maybe later I'll change my tune. But for now I come to work, to work. If I take a 10 min lunch and get paid for the rest. That's an extra 50 minutes of overtime and I'll get home the same time. If you want to sit in the truck not getting paid great. Some if us don't want to do that. I don't have a milf on my route I can bang

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
76DD.gif
Now we just need one of our drivers to learn the difference between allot and a lot...

That's just it. I hate sitting in the truck or wherever doing nothing. I've paced like a cage lion. Good, give more stops. I come to work to make money and deliver packages. Not sit in the truck for an hour not getting paid. I'm 40, I can handle now. Maybe later I'll change my tune. But for now I come to work, to work. If I take a 10 min lunch and get paid for the rest. That's an extra 50 minutes of overtime and I'll get home the same time. If you want to sit in the truck not getting paid great. Some if us don't want to do that. I don't have a milf on my route I can bang
tenor.gif