Mailbox numbers...

Purplepackage

I will always knock, then code it an 03 because I am not sure I am at the correct house. If dispatch insists it is correct, then an 08 will follow. I will not release a package at a house with no numbers if I have never delivered there before just because I think I am at the correct house.

I understand the concept, I have been a cover driver for a long time. I also understand the scenario that your manager scolded you for. if put an 03 on every house I couldn't find on certain routes I would be bringing 50% of that stuff back

dex 84

This is a massive rural area, a couple times I've gotten halfway down a drifted over "road" and decided it might just be a field so I turned around.

Map books say roads connect to other roads but they actually don't lol

I have a few that just start getting narrower and narrower and grown in on both sides and turn into a footpath through the woods and then become a road again at some point. So you have to know how the numbers run to know which road to use to access houses on the road with a dead middle or multiple dead middles.

Oldfart

I mentioned to someone years ago about no numbers on house or mailbox or anywhere. Her response was "That's so the bill collectors can't find us.". Well, OK!
Like delivering to a high rise with no suite number or company name. When you find the customer, the always say, everyone knows where I work. Yea, everyone except the person with the package trying to deliver it to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like delivering to a high rise with no suite number or company name. When you find the customer, the always say, everyone knows where I work. Yea, everyone except the person with the package trying to deliver it to you.

A fee weeks ago I had an on call pickup at a multiple suite medical office building. There was no suite number given---just the consignee's first name. I cancelled the pickup. Two days later had the same pickup but this time she added the suite number. When I got there she asked me why the first one had been cancelled. When I told her she just said "oh".

All that for two Amazon returns.

Express Courier

When I was a swing out in the country quite a few times I would put envelopes in the mailbox just because I didn't want to drive down their :censored2:ty road to the house. Unless the mail flag was up or was a P1 or a SO then I would always go down because hey they probably really want this on time. Never had any issues. Hell I'd even leave boxes at open gates sometimes.

Also I WILL release at a house even if I'm not 100% sure the house is correct. Being a swing makes pulling those moves easier to get away with btw.

This company has driven me into I give no :censored2:s mode. Happy Thanksgiving :censored2: faces. :)

Express Courier

I have a few that just start getting narrower and narrower and grown in on both sides and turn into a footpath through the woods and then become a road again at some point. So you have to know how the numbers run to know which road to use to access houses on the road with a dead middle or multiple dead middles.
I've had similar happen a few times. One time I nearly got stuck, had to do a 20-point turn to flip around. Later at home I googled the address/road and saw news stories from a few years before where a sheriff officer was murdered on that road when he followed someone down the road that looked suspicious (because going down that road was suspicious) Person overpowered the officer and killed him with his own weapon. Person was never caught. It was thought the person was going down there to dump a body. :scared:

Purplepackage

When I was a swing out in the country quite a few times I would put envelopes in the mailbox just because I didn't want to drive down their :censored2:ty road to the house. Unless the mail flag was up or was a P1 or a SO then I would always go down because hey they probably really want this on time. Never had any issues. Hell I'd even leave boxes at open gates sometimes.

Also I WILL release at a house even if I'm not 100% sure the house is correct. Being a swing makes pulling those moves easier to get away with btw.

This company has driven me into I give no :censored2:s mode. Happy Thanksgiving :censored2: faces. :)

I've also released stuff at mailboxes more times than I can count. When you are a cover driver you don't know how long that driveway is or if there is room to turn around. Some of the route drivers would get peeved that I left stuff at the bottom of driveways but it never stopped me, better safe than sorry

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
[QUOTE="bacha29, post: 2490984, member: 58386 I simply point out to them that 911 legislation requires a corresponding physical address number be posted that can be readily seen from the road [/QUOTE]

Problem is, in Texas at least, there is no enforcement or penalty provision in the law.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

[QUOTE="bacha29, post: 2490984, member: 58386 I simply point out to them that 911 legislation requires a corresponding physical address number be posted that can be readily seen from the road

Problem is, in Texas at least, there is no enforcement or penalty provision in the law.[/QUOTE]

FM (Farm to Market) roads can be very confusing.

Oldfart

Problem is, in Texas at least, there is no enforcement or penalty provision in the law.

FM (Farm to Market) roads can be very confusing.[/QUOTE]

Dang, never knew what FM meant.

I try to mention the lack of street numbers on the house during the delivery. Gotta throw in some advice when I see them "Hope you don't need an ambulance"

Sparky

And sometimes the only correction is "address is correct" well no it isn't, I think my record for dex3s on the same pkg is about 20 in one day

dezguy

Yeah I love that "address is correct" I too can look up a number in google maps and have it plot on a street
The best was the one time I got an address is correct back with a Google maps printout of the town the postal code belonged to. Gee, thanks for the map of the town. Didn't know it existed before this.

rod

Retired 22 years
We a Rural Route where the mail carrier hated UPS. Heaven help you if you put a UPS package in one of his mailboxes. If he found it he would take it to his Post Master who would send a postcard to UPS to come and pick up their illegally delivered package. He would only release it to our center manager (not someone in a brown uniform) WITH proper identification.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We a Rural Route where the mail carrier hated UPS. Heaven help you if you put a UPS package in one of his mailboxes. If he found it he would take it to his Post Master who would send a postcard to UPS to come and pick up their illegally delivered package. He would only release it to our center manager (not someone in a brown uniform) WITH proper identification.

I had a relative who was a retired postmaster out west in the middle of nowhere. He started working there in the 1950s and every now and then a UPS driver would stop by to ask where a certain road was. He said the then-postmaster was adamant that no USPS employee was to provide any assistance to any UPS employee for any reason. Crazy.

Oldfart

If they aren't going to make a decent effort to be seen, I won't make a decent effort to look; if they don't want to be found, I won't look. It had always depended on the circumstances and my mood.
Just like a gate that has "Beware of Dog" sign. Are you going in that gate or do you just honk the horn and leave a door tag where ever you can. If they wanted their package, they would not have a mean dog between me and the house. Might not really be a mean dog but I know I am not willing to take that chance.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a relative who was a retired postmaster out west in the middle of nowhere. He started working there in the 1950s and every now and then a UPS driver would stop by to ask where a certain road was. He said the then-postmaster was adamant that no USPS employee was to provide any assistance to any UPS employee for any reason. Crazy.

I had some nice mail carriers on my route. One would even take a package every once in awhile if it wasn't too big to put in a mailbox. (I did that VERY VERY seldom and only on a day that I really needed off early). I also had a Post Master in a small town who would give you directions to any address you needed. When I first started that route I would go into the Post Office everyday with my list because I didn't have a clue where people lived. That was way before the E-911 addressing system. Back when you were lucky to find a name even on the box. Country folks were terrible about putting their names on their mailboxes. They all figured they had lived there so long everybody knew who they were.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I had some nice mail carriers on my route. One would even take a package every once in awhile if it wasn't too big to put in a mailbox. (I did that VERY VERY seldom and only on a day that I really needed off early). I also had a Post Master in a small town who would give you directions to any address you needed. When I first started that route I would go into the Post Office everyday with my list because I didn't have a clue where people lived. That was way before the E-911 addressing system. Back when you were lucky to find a name even on the box. Country folks were terrible about putting their names on their mailboxes. They all figured they had lived there so long everybody knew who they were.

Hell, Rod. I had one rural carrier who would bum a couple smokes off me every day, and take any thing I had for a summer camp seven freaking miles up a dirt road. Loved that guy.

Same route, I was friends with all the postmasters/mistresses. They would all give me directions, and one in a small resort town would take packages as long as they weren't too big. (We also had a new guy come in as postmaster in one town who was a real prick. He wouldn't help us at all. Until, we sent all his stuff back because he used his PO box every time he ordered something.)