Mailbox numbers...

McFeely

Huge Member
Not doing any favors for an individual who has already disputed a delivery of mine to his house. Calling him on a DSR (not a bad address) would have led to him asking me to meet him somewhere or see if I can stay put for 10 minutes while he drives home.

In the immortal words of George Bush/Dana Carvey..."Not gonna do it"

Schweddy

Balls
This thread is full of win. Any way to rate threads?

Some counties have amazing house numbers.. most don't enforce their code if they even have one. It makes a huge difference.

Yeah it's against policy, like.. corporate wide, but I call folks on rare occasion and only a couple people have my number. I don't bug them, they don't bug me. I would block someone if they did though.

Oldfart

No need to do that when you can put *67 in front of their number before you call them.
That works but still not gonna do it. My job is to attempt delivery by the commitment time 1030,1500,1630 etc. I will make every effort within reason to make that happen. It is the recipients job to have house numbers, have the gate open or be home to open the gate, put the dog up, answer the door and make sure the shipper had the correct address to put on the package. If the shipper still put the wrong address on or the recipient did not do all of the above, I can't do anything within policy to deliver that package except let dispatch handle it. We had 2 couriers terminated in the last few years for actually signing the powerpad for resi deliveries because they were DSR. They both told me they did it because they "KNEW" the customer needed that package and were not home. If the customer needed that package so bad, they should have been home. Instead, 2 people got fired for being idiots.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That works but still not gonna do it. My job is to attempt delivery by the commitment time 1030,1500,1630 etc. I will make every effort within reason to make that happen. It is the recipients job to have house numbers, have the gate open or be home to open the gate, put the dog up, answer the door and make sure the shipper had the correct address to put on the package. If the shipper still put the wrong address on or the recipient did not do all of the above, I can't do anything within policy to deliver that package except let dispatch handle it. We had 2 couriers terminated in the last few years for actually signing the powerpad for resi deliveries because they were DSR. They both told me they did it because they "KNEW" the customer needed that package and were not home. If the customer needed that package so bad, they should have been home. Instead, 2 people got fired for being idiots.
That is all true, except I have a rural route, and our district policy is we MUST reattempt packages if we are sent a corrected address. I'm NOT driving ten miles back to deliver a corrected address, adding an extra 30 minutes to my day. I do it for ME, not the customer or FedEx. If I had a regular route, my phone would never be used to call a customer.

Oldfart

That is all true, except I have a rural route, and our district policy is we MUST reattempt packages if we are sent a corrected address. I'm NOT driving ten miles back to deliver a corrected address, adding an extra 30 minutes to my day. I do it for ME, not the customer or FedEx. If I had a regular route, my phone would never be used to call a customer.
Our extended area rts are exempt from the reattempt policy.

McFeely

Huge Member
I was never exempt from fixed address reattempts when I had an extended route. If I had a bad address way out in the country, I would simply wait to put the Dex 03 scan on it until the end of the day as I was headed back into the station. They didn't have time to get it corrected before I signed off from dispatch ;)

Schweddy

Balls
heard of an extended route guy recently that had a package with a bad address that should have gone to the next station over (2 hours+ away) but since he was only like 15 min from the POD, he got approval to take it.

I'm fairly certain our station is mandated to reattempt everything right now and no route is exempt.

Purplepackage

heard of an extended route guy recently that had a package with a bad address that should have gone to the next station over (2 hours+ away) but since he was only like 15 min from the POD, he got approval to take it.

I'm fairly certain our station is mandated to reattempt everything right now and no route is exempt.

That happened to me once, we had a route that did 250-300 miles and at the farthest point we delivered on one side of the road while the station 2 hours from us delivered the opposite side

McFeely

Huge Member
McFeeley---that would not work if you had GPS on your PP.

I only did it on addresses that I actually did try to seek out, but you're correct that the GPS time/location would not match my scan time/location. It's a risk I'd be willing to take as I highly doubt they'd be looking at my GPS data on a Dex03.

All that being said, I'm truly not one of the lazy/miserable couriers in my station. I kick ass on my route and my customers treat me very well. I'm just not going to any extra lengths for customers that have proven to be a pain in the past.

If I was directed by a manager to reattempt a bad address way out in the country, I'd simply respond to the message that I would do it and also add what it would do to my on-road hours/miles/RTB. If it meant I'd be late to the station, you'd bet they'd change their tune.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I did that about a month ago. Granted it was only about 5 minutes away. A CSA at that station, I guess using Google, had rerouted a pkg to our station. It was a new road and Google showed it in the wrong location. Rather than the customer having to wait yet another day for the package to be rerouted back to the same station, I just delivered it. I also called a CSA and asked her to create a trace informing correct station of the problem.