Make-Up Raise $1.35

The Range

In too deep
Yup. That's the worst part. I disagree with the 5.50 raise part in your post but increasing the starting wage by 5.50 and not giving any kind of catch up raise to current part timers( should be a 1.00-1.50) destroys incentive.

If it makes you feel better, part timers hired under the new contract will NEVER make more than a new hire

Are we factoring in bonuses UPS chooses to give out? After all, they can dole out bonuses as they please to whoever they desire. Current new hires with their "bonus" making more than any tenured part-timer should have been a significant issue. UPS is not a union shop.. open your eyeballs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Are we factoring in bonuses UPS chooses to give out? After all, they can dole out bonuses as they please to whoever they desire. Current new hires with their "bonus" making more than any tenured part-timer should have been a significant issue. UPS is not a union shop.. open your eyeballs.
The contract has always covered minimums.

The Range

In too deep
The contract has always covered minimums.

I believe a subset of drivers should get a significant attendance bonus compared to their more tenured counterparts. Is it atypical for a union shop to have 1-2 year employees earning an arbitrary bonus which puts them at a higher pay-grade than their counterparts?

Brownslave688

I believe a subset of drivers should get a significant attendance bonus compared to their more tenured counterparts.
That's kind of up to ups to decide.

I don't think it's right but it was necessary to attract applicants in certain areas.

This is why it's my opinion the union should have focused on current part timer wages not starting wages.

Let ups worry about what it takes to attract applicants. The union should worry about getting those people the best they can after their 30 days or 90 or whatever it is in different places.

The Range

In too deep
That's kind of up to ups to decide.

I don't think it's right but it was necessary to attract applicants in certain areas.

This is why it's my opinion the union should have focused on current part timer wages not starting wages.

Let ups worry about what it takes to attract applicants. The union should worry about getting those people the best they can after their 30 days or 90 or whatever it is in different places.

That's my point. The union is no longer capable of negotiating a better pay rate for their members. $13 is less than new hires currently make when including their bonus.

Brownslave688

That's my point. The union is no longer capable of negotiating a better pay rate for their members. $13 is less than new hires currently make when including their bonus.
Yeah but you've got to understand that's regional.

Here they get no bonuses at all. So let's say Seattle passes a min wage of $20 An hour does that mean every part timer nationwide should make at least that much because regionally they have to pay more?

The Range

In too deep
Everyone in that Seattle hub would have access to said wage increases. There wouldn't a 1 year employee making $20 an hour while their counterpart was stuck at $18. With these arbitrary bonuses you have new individuals making more per hour than 3 and 4 year employees. I don't care what an employee in Alabama makes based on a state mandate. I do care the teamsters allow a loophole for UPS to exploit which sees a 4 year employee working alongside a new hire while making less because of a bonus they cannot access.

Part-timers need to wake up but that is an unreasonable request based on the demographic. Expecting 18-20 year old college kids to give a care about a trash job is not reasonable and UPS + the teamsters exploit that fact.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

Everyone in that Seattle hub would have access to said wage increases. There wouldn't a 1 year employee making $20 an hour while their counterpart was stuck at $18. With these arbitrary bonuses you have new individuals making more per hour than 3 and 4 year employees. I don't care what an employee in Alabama makes based on a state mandate. I do care the teamsters allow a loophole for UPS to exploit which sees a 4 year employee working alongside a new hire while making less because of an bonus which they cannot access.
Well the 4 year employee does have healthcare and pension contributions so they are being compensated at a much higher rate.

The Range

In too deep
Well the 4 year employee does have healthcare and pension contributions so they are being compensated at a much higher rate.

??? There are 2 year teamsters making that bonus. They have full access to healthcare, pension contributions, sick days and vacations in addition to a significant attendance bonus. They are being compensated at a much higher rate than their 4 year counterpart.

Brownslave688

??? There are 2 year teamsters making that bonus. They have full access to healthcare, pension contributions, sick days and vacations in addition to a significant attendance bonus. They are being compensated at a much higher rate than their 4 year counterpart.
Gotcha. You said new hire I assumed new.

Sounds like a bad situation but I only see 2 options.

1) gather all of your coworkers that are in the same boat and go to management and tell them you're quitting if you don't get the bonus too.

2) just accept it is what it is

This affects such a small percentage of workers the union will do nothing.

The Range

In too deep
Gotcha. You said new hire I assumed new.

Sounds like a bad situation but I only see 2 options.

1) gather all of your coworkers that are in the same boat and go to management and tell them you're quitting if you don't get the bonus too.

2) just accept it is what it is

This affects such a small percentage of workers the union will do nothing.

What percentage of hubs have an attendance bonus in play? The only resolution is #2 and it is so very wrong.

Brownslave688

What percentage of hubs have an attendance bonus in play? The only resolution is #2 and it is so very wrong.
Not sure but I've never personally seen it.

I know it became much more prevalent the last few years but I expect it to go away with the increase in starting wages in this contract.

Time for change

I completely agree on the bonuses, an absolute travesty the union let this slide and set that precedent that the company can pick and choose who they pay bonuses to for whatever they want. Dangerous precedent

Time for change

If they paid some drivers 57 an hour straight time for whatever bonus they decided and left others at 36, holy hell would be raised. Imagine in shops where “bonus” was voted down and the company paid performance bonus anyway. Leave the union bonus....