Make-Up Raise $1.35

Jackofnotrades

Ill be at UPS for 9 years in September. My first year I loaded, then switched to sorting to get the $1 raise. New hires here at our hub start at $10/hr or $11/hr if skilled. I have a time to think about things when I’m sorting by myself, and one of the things about this new proposed contract (there are a few) that keep rubbing me the wrong way is how people that have been here a very short time are going to get $1.35 higher raise than I am. Lets say you have a new hire that is an unloader/loader that’s been here a few months, which we have a lot of actually, well they are currently making $10/hr and are going to get a $3 raise if the contract passes. Then, by the end of the contract they will be at 15.50. That’s a $5.50 raise. Whereas I will be getting a $4.15 raise leaving a $1.35 gap. I feel part timers in my situation should get at least get the same $5.50 raise.
The progression is different. .70 -2018, 1.00-2019, .80-2020, .85- 2021 and 1.00 - 2022

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I dug out an old 1990 contract book for the fun of it (28 years ago)..

Three year contract..raises were 50 cents per hour..Health and Welfare and Pension was 14 dollars extra a week per employee...one time bonus of 1000 full time and 500 part time..Part time starting wage 8 dollars per hour, two year progression to 10 dollars skilled..four years seniority 11.18..Two year progression for all full time jobs...

I would be good to compare the monetary contributions to get a better picture on what we will be getting with this one.

I might add that in l990 you could ship a one pound package in state for 1.37 currently it would go for just under 10 dollars. Do the math...

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I dug out an old 1990 contract book for the fun of it (28 years ago)..

Three year contract..raises were 50 cents per hour..Health and Welfare and Pension was 14 dollars extra a week per employee...one time bonus of 1000 full time and 500 part time..Part time starting wage 8 dollars per hour, two year progression to 10 dollars skilled..four years seniority 11.18..Two year progression for all full time jobs...

And then, Ron (concession) Carey took hold of the reins.

In 1993.... first ever 4 year contract.

In 1997.... first ever 5 year contract.

Look how much Carey gave up to the company in Article 40.

(the company was expanding the air operation, and needed flexibility) :biggrin:

Both of those consecutive contracts had paltry economic gains.

I get tired of hearing about the late "great" Ron Carey.

He was a 1 term IBT President and got called to the carpet (by UPS) in 1997.

TDU, doesn't tell you that.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I get tired of hearing about the late "great" Ron Carey.
Then why do you continually bring him up whenever you can???

This thread, like most others that you choose to broach the subject, had nothing to do with Ron Carey or TDU.

You're so "tired" of hearing about him, but you can't seem to keep his name out of your mouth???

LOL....you're a mess.

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Then why do you continually bring him up whenever you can ?

The uninformed members, think he is some sort "pillar of Teamster justice".

Keep repeating lies and it becomes the truth.

This thread, like most others that you choose to broach the subject, had nothing to do with Ron Carey or TDU.

Since when, has deviating from the thread topic.... been a problem here ?

you can't seem to keep his name out of your mouth ?

Is that some sort of hipster jargon ?

you're a mess.

Look in the mirror.... of your Local.

:biggrin:

Just say'n....

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Then why do you continually bring him up whenever you can???

You're so "tired" of hearing about him, but you can't seem to keep his name out of your mouth???

LOL....you're a mess.

~Bbbl~™
I'd say anyone under 40 years old or so at ups has no idea who Carey is or what he was like.

I doubt they care. It's the past.

Time for change

Too bad the union was only willing to strike over something that helped them more than it helped the members. Some of us under 40 read about the history of the IBT and it’s too bad more didn’t. They would all be laughing at BUG scoffing at union corruption and selfishness. It was never about the members.