Management susp/fired over time cards...

fedx

Extra Large Package
Working off the clock is a direct and specific violation of company policy, punishable by termination -- as stated in company policy. Multiple and frequent occurrences over a long period of time pretty much kills any chance of "Manager told me to do something that sounded unusual, I wasn't sure but went ahead with it because I feared for my job" being a winning excuse.

A class action lawsuit with 5 people in the class, LOL.
LOL, how many do you need for it to be a class action lawsuit? A million people? Besides, where did it say there was only 5 people involved?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So the employee can either stand up to the manager and possibly be retaliated against or work off the clock and be fired. Either way, the employee gets screwed.

Or he can call the anonymous hotline and get the popcorn ready.

59 Dano

LOL, how many do you need for it to be a class action lawsuit? A million people? Besides, where did it say there was only 5 people involved?

The incident which you were addressing involved 5 who lost their jobs.

fedx

Extra Large Package
The incident which you were addressing involved 5 who lost their jobs.
I didn't see where it said how many. So why did those people work off the clock in the first place? Did they really love working for free? I mean there had to be a reason why so many people would work off the clock for such a long period of time. I'm sure they loved their job, but enough to keep on working and not get paid? Any theory as to why they did that then?

!Retired!

A simple Google search would give you that answer.
"While there is technically no minimum number of people needed for a class action, it is difficult (although not unheard of) to get a case with fewer than 40 individuals certified.

It only takes one person to file a class action lawsuit, but in order for a class action to proceed, a judge must first certify the class. Judges exercise some discretion when making the certification decision, but they do so within the context of Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Procedure, which says that a class action is appropriate when “the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable.”

MAKAVELI

Someone said around 3 West Coast managers, including senior, may be let go due to manually entering lunches to unaware employees. This is just hearsay but the person reporting is a pretty serious person. Lets say a courier goes to lunch from 12:00 to 12:30, management would go in and see if there was any gap by the courier prior or post lunch. If the courier, after coming off lunch, didn't scan until 12:38, his lunch could have been changed from 12:00 to 12:37. Now some of the couriers at our station have said they felt short changed but because the hours breakdown on the pay stub isn't straightforward, its very hard to tell. I do hope Corp. goes through and investigates all stations timecards. I'm willing to bet we had a manager like this. No longer at our station but may be doing it to another workgroup.
To the ones that are going to write that couriers take advantage of the gap between lunch, I agree. I know of couriers who cheat. But rather going in and changing his/her timecard, bring that courier into a meeting with manager and senior to explain himself. This, if true, is not right. Management is suppose to be better.
Just curious, what state were these :censored2: managers in?

59 Dano

I didn't see where it said how many.

Regardless, that's how many.

So why did those people work off the clock in the first place? Did they really love working for free? I mean there had to be a reason why so many people would work off the clock for such a long period of time. I'm sure they loved their job, but enough to keep on working and not get paid? Any theory as to why they did that then?

Because they're stupid.

Maui

It's threats and intimidation. No bonus, just the privilege of keeping your job and nor getting a warning letter.

Schweddy

Balls
Tell us about the bonuses that they get. I'm all ears.

No, there isn't an awarded bonus for requiring employees to work off the clock. As if you couldn't think past that.

Federal Express Corporation (FedEx) Operations Manager Salary

If unpaid labor easily solves the problem, paid labor solves it almost as easily.

Not if their bonus is affected by hours saved and/or other parameters. Kind of like making people wait to clock in because of late freight vs the schedule. Because of that, people might as well pretrip and setup their vehicle because they won't have time to once the sort starts.

Isn't labor cost a major expense?

Yes, it is a major expense. But is labor cost the controlled value? I'd say no, not necessarily. More about hours used and on road goal achievement than who got some ot, even if it's topped out ot.

Last edited:

59 Dano

No, there isn't an awarded bonus for requiring employees to work off the clock. As if you couldn't think past that.

I asked you to tell us about the bonuses managers get. Still waiting. If you don't know, that's ok. Just say so.

Not if their bonus is affected by hours saved and/or other parameters.

Aaaaaaand it's looking like you don't know. Big surprise there.