Management that smokes, 3 days until cold turkey

S

serenity now

Its absolutely the hardest thing ive ever TRIED to do. I thought when cigs went up, i would stop. Nope, never did. At 5 dollars a day,150 dollars a month, and ....wait let me get this lit....1800 dollars a year, im still at it. Maybe this would help me. Prob not. Smoke em if ya got em.

Seriously, i need to quit though.

Ask someone who loves you to slap the :censored2: out of you every time they see you with a cigarette. Every time!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Maybe but there are a lot of highly paid lawyers out there and they may be able to introduce something that is not defined as a "co-premium" that will allow TeamCare to introduce an additional charge for smokers within the next five years. I'm certainly no expert on the subject but it would not surprise me in the least to see some kind of "lifestyle surcharge" introduced that can still be spun to fit within the guidelines of the CBA and perhaps will cite Obamacare as being the basis of the decision. Time will tell.

Perhaps, but not likely. It'd cost a lot of money to review, implement & challenge, and could very well cost some IBT leaders their careers. Intangibles will also come into play. TeamCare (via UPS) will remain self-insured - not fully insured; the young demographic is the most likely to smoke, and charging de facto co-premiums would entice many to opt-out and return to their parents' coverage. Given that IBT will receive the same amount of money from a 19-year-old (who's not likely to use his insurance) as a 59-year-old, it's not in their best interests.

Most likely the issue will be addressed in 2018.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The notices that we get are getting shorter. At least we received 2 weeks notice concerning pay grades and caps. This one was only 3 days. What's next?
airops,

Unless the oppressed stand up to the oppressor the notice will eventually be UPS doesn't need you anymore.

We have more than enough self deceived people who will do 2 or more persons job for the price of one.

Friday will be your last day. The notice will probably show on Thursday.

Sincerely,
I

TxRoadDawg

airops,

Unless the oppressed stand up to the oppressor the notice will eventually be UPS doesn't need you anymore.

We have more than enough self deceived people who will do 2 or more persons job for the price of one.

Friday will be your last day. The notice will probably show on Thursday.

Sincerely,
I

truer words I have never quoted

BrownTie

Smokers look on the bright side, if in three days you quit, you get a cold turkey.:wink2: Don't you see, you get your turkey back and $150 bonus for quiting.

island1fox

Retired District Manager dies at a young age in Dallas -because of smoking --should be the best reason for anyone to quit !!!:dissapointed:

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
All this talk about smokers can distract from the reality of the health care surcharge that UPS will charge. "Tobacco users" are the individuals that will pay the $150 per month surcharge. Cigarette smokers probably make up half of this group. The occasional cigar, hookah, chew, e-cig, and so forth, users will also be hit with the surcharge (or more than likely lie). That means half of the individuals UPS says are killing themselves with tobacco aren't standing outside the door or gate smoking cigarettes.

Just wanted to add...maybe not appropriate...but here goes. I'm a wife of a UPS Manager, covered by UPS health benefits. As of 24 hours ago...I had my last cig. Not because I wanted to quit, but because we can not afford the additional $150 it would cost if I continued. While I totally understand that smoking is bad for me. a terrible example for my children, bad for the environment, bad for UPS, bad for America, and even bad for Peace in the Middle East, I'm still TOTALLY PISSED!!! I'm trying to do the right thing...but doing what I've been told has never been my strong suit. I have questions...but the more I ask my hubs...the more pissed he gets. SO...Does anyone know how UPS intends on enforcing this new policy?? How do they know I quit on Sept 1st (Other than my husband attesting to me turning into the biggest bitch in Texas). Why Sept 1st and not Jan 1st 2014? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! FYI...I WANT A CIG!!!

The East Way To Quit Smoking.... By Allen Carr Amazon disk keep it really works, I have had many family members and co- workers quit and are very happy. It works. Listen and re - listen It works

_Mayday_

Yes Really
SO...Does anyone know how UPS intends on enforcing this new policy?? How do they know I quit on Sept 1st (Other than my husband attesting to me turning into the biggest bitch in Texas). Why Sept 1st and not Jan 1st 2014? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! FYI...I WANT A CIG!!!

According to upsers.com and the faq type of information they posted about all the changes to health care. Ups will be using the "honor system" and as of this time not testing its employees although other large corporations DO test their employees. Yes they pointed out how other companies do- and ups could, but doesn't as of now.

I think they aren't testing yet because of...logistics. It would cost a ton to test everyone and ups is a huge company with so many employees and then getting everyone with spouses to get tested as well? That is as long the spouse doesn't have a ft job that offers him/her benefits...

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
My opinion is that UPS will not enforce this at all. Only go through the reminders and throw out the "up to and including termination" threat for falsifying information.
Getting any of this to stick is another story.
I think that gn ultimatum (quit by 9/1/13 or pay $150.00 per month) and offering a smoking cessation program is not enough to get the smoker to think this through as they are probably still pissed off that they are being told what to do.
I heard some people kidding around about a "Smokers Bounty". Turn one in and receive a turkey....I used to think that UPS would never entertain something as stupid as this, but I just don't know anymore.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My opinion is that UPS will not enforce this at all.Turn one in and receive a turkey....I used to think that UPS would never entertain something as stupid as this, but I just don't know anymore.

UPS is run by accountants.
Ever spent time around accountants?
They'll spend $100 to save a dollar especially if it gives a feeling of control.

trickpony1

I know one supervisor who is using smokeless tobacco like it's candy in an attempt to quit or deceive.

I haven't told him that nicotine will appear in blood lab work regardless of the delivery system.

So will he have to prove how the nicotine got in his system?