Mandatory not so mandatory?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Show your paycheck or you’re just a loud mouth, union thug.
tenor.gif

UPSerSheik

Victim of mediocrity
@BadIdeaGuy , not sure about your area but over here 6 day punches have been mandatory for preload since late April. The company basically screwed themselves by transfering preload to Tu-Sat schedule so there's not enough loaders for Monday now. And the other shifts that were Mon-Fri have recently made Sundays mandatory.

While true the money's good espescially when so many people don't have jobs at all right now, @BigUnionGuy I agree with JJF that the union is not doing enough to stick up for PTers on this issue. If drivers and management are entitled to a 5 day workweek why isn't everybody? That's the kind of system of fairness unions were fighting for a hundred years back, right?

It's always been take volunteers, then force from bottom up if necessary. Nobody should have to suffer because UPS can't adaquately plan their operations.

@BadIdeaGuy , not sure about your area but over here 6 day punches have been mandatory for preload since late April. The company basically screwed themselves by transfering preload to Tu-Sat schedule so there's not enough loaders for Monday now. And the other shifts that were Mon-Fri have recently made Sundays mandatory.

While true the money's good espescially when so many people don't have jobs at all right now, @BigUnionGuy I agree with JJF that the union is not doing enough to stick up for PTers on this issue. If drivers and management are entitled to a 5 day workweek why isn't everybody? That's the kind of system of fairness unions were fighting for a hundred years back, right?

It's always been take volunteers, then force from bottom up if necessary. Nobody should have to suffer because UPS can't adaquately plan their operations.

They won’t answer you. I complained about the Union failures 3 months ago. The Big Union Thug acted all big and bad. It’s nice to see the forum is changing on the waste of money union! UPS does what they want and the Teamsters does nothing. The Union is divided, just having regional supplements is proof. The unity is gone.
I don’t blame just the union, UPS has failed as well. 13.3% unemployment, HR is closed in my facility. UPS should be hiring 10 per facility a day. As we all know only 1 of those 10 may last as an insider over a month. $14.00 an hour for a now full-time jobs is terrible pay. The union should be embarrassed!

UPSerSheik

Victim of mediocrity
They won’t answer you. I complained about the Union failures 3 months ago. The Big Union Thug acted all big and bad. It’s nice to see the forum is changing on the waste of money union! UPS does what they want and the Teamsters does nothing. The Union is divided, just having regional supplements is proof. The unity is gone.
I don’t blame just the union, UPS has failed as well. 13.3% unemployment, HR is closed in my facility. UPS should be hiring 10 per facility a day. As we all know only 1 of those 10 may last as an insider over a month. $14.00 an hour for a now full-time jobs is terrible pay. The union should be embarrassed!
Well the only way to get stuff done is through unity. But these posts show just how much of that we're lacking. It is UPS's fault, but the union does nothing anymore to fight them.

542thruNthru

Just to fill you guys in. Shop steward told me NOW our local saying its not mandatory. Go figure.

We're dealing with the same thing here. We have a political fight going between the current E-board and the ones that lost the election.

So the local is saying that its a minimum and that we can be forced by seniority and to call out if you can't make it. The other side is posting all over Facebook/Instagram that you can not be forced. You do not have to call out.

Personally I suggest C.Y.A and call out and say you can't make it.

shalang

So the local is saying that its a minimum and that we can be forced by seniority and to call out if you can't make it. The other side is posting all over Facebook/Instagram that you can not be forced. You do not have to call out.

The problem with that line of thinking is if its mandatory, but you tell people they'll be fine if they call out, how is it mandatory? This is why many of us are confused. So many ambiguous statements.

I understand the reasoning behind it (can easily fight an occasion versus a NCNS) but many of us aren't intelligent enough to think that way.

542thruNthru

The problem with that line of thinking is if its mandatory, but you tell people they'll be fine if they call out, how is it mandatory? This is why many of us are confused. So many ambiguous statements.

I understand the reasoning behind it (can easily fight an occasion versus a NCNS) but many of us aren't intelligent enough to think that way.

I agree with you. I wish it was cut and dry in the contract.

$14 an hour to start which is a heck a lot more than it was the last contract.
Don't forget about health care, pension, paid holiday sick days vacations etc