Marijuana the legalization of it?

John19841

Pot smokers will be easy to spot ... they'll be the ones going 40 mph on the Interstate.

Lol...very true. Also the ones sitting hunched over the steering wheel. Sitting as close as they can to the windshield as to get a better view of the road. Also, never taking their eyes off the road. Staring straight ahead with a level of concentration that I'm having difficulty describing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I think as long as the government does not tax it extremely, the tax revenue may be substantial. People in general have quite a capacity for laziness and if given the choice between going to the store or growing it themselves, they will choose the store.

As for legalizing prostitution Steve, they do it in Nevada and it seems to be working out. If people want to lose their souls in prostitution, gambling and substance abuse, who am I to stand in their way. Just tax it so we have the funds to clean up the mess they make. Because, in the end, people are going to do these things if we give them permission to or not.

Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. Think about this when your kids say, I'm going to the store to get some Pot. There is no benefit to the user whatsoever. Just because it makes you mellow, and not a mad person, that makes it okay? I know plenty of funny drunks. I guess you'll, not just you JJJ, but all those in favor of legalization, just add this to the list of drugs that people "need" in order to live, cope, deal with life.

Whatever happened to living life as it is? Why do I need to smoke pot, drink alcohol, do narcotics, take Prozac, xanax, get tattooed, grow dreadlocks? Don't you know that all of this stuff leads to the eventual disaster of society? People will be high at work. People will smoke pot in the car with their kids, like they do cigarettes. Where will it all end? It's a slippery slope, that need not be traversed. JMHO, as always.
Good, then maybe they'll legalize prostitution, armed robbery and murder. I can't wait.:dissapointed:

Prostitution should be legal; I'll get to that in a second. Armed Robbery and Murder should not. Reason being, Robbery and Murder do harm to another person. If you want to murder yourself (suicide) I'm all for it, you want to kill yourself, fine. You're doing it to yourself you should have that right if it's what you so choose. Back to prostitution; You want to whore yourself out, go for it. You want to treat your body that way, fine. That's your decision. I have no right to tell you you cannot. You're not hurting anybody else by doing it. It's the same reason I don't agree with seatbelt laws. You don't want to wear your seatbelt and run the risks if in an accident, fine it's your life - your decision. Once again, I have no right to tell you you have to. But more so, When did the government gain the right to tell us what decision we have to make regarding our own personal well being?

Anyway, my original reason for responding was that comparing weed to robbery and murder is ridiculous and I'm sure you know it. There is no comparison what so ever, so I'm not going to go into what are obvious details.

I was going to highlight the parts I disagreed with, but decided I disagree with all of this. The problem with you young people, is that you don't look at what the consequences of your actions would be down the road. Why don't you sit down and think about the things you've posted. Think about them honestly and get back here and post your conclusion. You may want to sober up before you start your thought process.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
J

Whatever happened to living life as it is? Why do I need to smoke pot, drink alcohol, do narcotics, take Prozac, xanax, get tattooed, grow dreadlocks? Don't you know that all of this stuff leads to the eventual disaster of society? People will be high at work. People will smoke pot in the car with their kids, like they do cigarettes. Where will it all end? It's a slippery slope, that need not be traversed. JMHO, as always.

get tattooed, grow dreadlocks

Lost you there buddy.

Sammie

Sammie,

My guess, if you joined D in a reefer bar to settle your differences, the outcome would most likely be very peaceful. Typically marijuana induces a state of contentment or in other words, you're to stoned to give a :censored2: :happy-very:.

Yep. Folks of such persuasion rarely snap, loose it and kill 50 people when they get to work.

By the time you and D knocked the better part of a dimebag out, (RIP Dimebag Darrell) you'd probably be the best of BUDS!
:wink2:

Wkmac,

When did you take up mind reading? My sentiments exactly. But I somehow don't visualize D as a cherisher of the sacred herb...

Been wrong before, tho. He may well leave that reefer bar wailing
out "We are familee! Get up everybody and SING!" :happy-very:

Sammie

I am somewhat of a libertarian; to a large extent I feel that we should have the freedom to choose what we put into our bodies.

I also feel, however, that there are substances such as cocaine, meth and heroin that are so immediately addictive that there is really no such thing as a free choice. These substances are flat out toxic.

I would put marijuana in the same category as alcohol; it is potentially harmful but for many people it can be used and enjoyed in moderation. It should be legalized and taxed, with the proceeds used to fund rehabilitaton programs.

I have yet to meet or hear of anyone who could use cocaine, crack, meth or heroin in moderation.

For my part, there is no such thing as moderation. I am a full-blown alcoholic, so my only two options are being drunk every day or to be clean and sober and in recovery. For the last 12 years I have chosen to be clean and sober one day at a time.

Congrat Sober. Glad you're on the right path, which is not an easy one.

MikeTbob

LOL, sorry, got carried away and used grouping.:wink2:

I believe STUG would make a good candidate in the next election! :wink2:
He'd outlaw Dreadlocks and Tattoos?!?!
Just joshin with ya Steve. But seriously, society decayed a long time ago, I'm just trying to figure out why they outlawed it to begin with, it doesn't kill people, doesn't send you into a fit of rage and according to people here, it makes pot smokers drive like a granny. Where is the law being broken?? What is the actual harm being done here??Do we really care what people do in the privacy of their own homes (as long as no one is getting hurt)?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am not going to justify using any narcotics, medicinal or not. For the record I don't believe in the use of marijuana for recreational purposes. But I just don't care if others do. As for what drug use does to society, look at it positively, while these people are wasting their lives getting high, we can step over them to a more fulfilling life. Less competition!

Sorry Steve, I just think Ryan has the right idea here.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I believe STUG would make a good candidate in the next election! :wink2:
He'd outlaw Dreadlocks and Tattoos?!?!
Just joshin with ya Steve. But seriously, society decayed a long time ago, I'm just trying to figure out why they outlawed it to begin with, it doesn't kill people, doesn't send you into a fit of rage and according to people here, it makes pot smokers drive like a granny. Where is the law being broken?? What is the actual harm being done here??Do we really care what people do in the privacy of their own homes (as long as no one is getting hurt)?

I understand what you're saying, Mike, but there really is harm. If someone "needs" something, aside from the much needed air we breath, food we eat, and stuff we drink to live, I think that's a problem, and that problem would be called, dependency. This is beyond the privacy of ones own home, slammed right into the middle of society. I believe that no good can come from this. MHO!

MikeTbob

I understand what you're saying, Mike, but there really is harm. If someone "needs" something, aside from the much needed air we breath, food we eat, and stuff we drink to live, I think that's a problem, and that problem would be called, dependency. This is beyond the privacy of ones own home, slammed right into the middle of society. I believe that no good can come from this. MHO!

With all due respect Steve, and I do respect ya bro......I disagree....that route has been traveled before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarianism

People *should* still have the rights to arm bears, tip cows and just yell at the neighbors for fun.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If someone "needs" something, aside from the much needed air we breath, food we eat, and stuff we drink to live, I think that's a problem, and that problem would be called, dependency.

You mean like a cell phone camera?

Some people I know have a dependency problem then! Not going to mention names. :wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
With all due respect Steve, and I do respect ya bro......I disagree....that route has been traveled before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarianism

People *should* still have the rights to arm bears, tip cows and just yell at the neighbors for fun.

If this is how you view the legalization of marijuana, I can see how you feel. I've grown up in a different way, I guess, so I see things a bit differently. ATD.

You mean like a cell phone camera?

Some people I know have a dependency problem then! Not going to mention names. :wink2:

For the last time, I don't have a cell phone, can't stand em. I use an honest to goodness digital camera, and I have been seen without it.:surprised:

Here's what mine looks like. Now you can show me yours, Hoax.:wink2:
kodak_easyshare_z712is.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For the last time, I don't have a cell phone, can't stand em. I use an honest to goodness digital camera, and I have been seen without it.:surprised:

Here's what mine looks like. Now you can show me yours, Hoax.:wink2:

That makes sense ... your pix are always very good and crisp (as opposed to sober's).

I'll refrain from showing you mine ... wouldn't want you to feel inadequate. :happy-very:

John19841

I was going to highlight the parts I disagreed with, but decided I disagree with all of this. The problem with you young people, is that you don't look at what the consequences of your actions would be down the road. Why don't you sit down and think about the things you've posted. Think about them honestly and get back here and post your conclusion. You may want to sober up before you start your thought process.

My conclusion, and where I disagree with you is this. Maybe I think about what the consequences of my actions would be down the road, maybe I don't. Regardless, you (government) have no right to decide weather or not I get to experience those consequences, as long as my actions do not harm someone else. Especially, as in this case, when the consequences of an action (Marijuana) have little to no factual consequences.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My conclusion, and where I disagree with you is this. Maybe I think about what the consequences of my actions would be down the road, maybe I don't. Regardless, you (government) have no right to decide weather or not I get to experience those consequences, as long as my actions do not harm someone else. Especially, as in this case, when the consequences of an action (Marijuana) have little to no factual consequences.
Agreed. The burden of proof should always be on the people that are attempting to criminalize or otherwise limit a behavior to show conclusively that failure to do so will have catastrophic consequences for society at large which outweigh the right of an individual to exercise his/her free will by engaging in that behavior. The exercise of free will, on the other hand, should require no such burden of proof. It should be the default position in any truly free society.

MikeTbob

Maybe the best idea, would be to just de-criminalize it. Make it just like a parking ticket. No courts, and no lifetime membership into the criminal world.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

On the contrary, Ryan, if it is illegal, and it is, you're not allowed to do it outside on the street, or in the quiet privacy of your own home, so says the government, who say, it's illegal. You can't pick and choose which laws you will obey/disobey.

I disagree with this statement as well. Sound like you're debating about the legalization of something that has absolutely no health benefit to the user. Why do you feel so strongly about this? How can you say that there is no consequence for those that use marijuana? Have you done a study on this? I suggest you do some more research, before you approve of something like this.

As I said before, what about your children, family and friends? Would you stop smoking so you could work? Would smoking and driving be against the law and if so why, if there is no obvious consequence? These are the little thoughts that come to mind when I hear about people wanting to legalize anything of this nature.

And for those that say, well it's natural, why would it be there if we weren't supposed to use it? Tree bark and dog feces are also natural, and I don't hear about anyone smoking that stuff.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Agreed. The burden of proof should always be on the people that are attempting to criminalize or otherwise limit a behavior to show conclusively that failure to do so will have catastrophic consequences for society at large which outweigh the right of an individual to exercise his/her free will by engaging in that behavior. The exercise of free will, on the other hand, should require no such burden of proof. It should be the default position in any truly free society.

Who would be using free will? People that are smoking the mind altering drug? Wouldn't that interfere with the decision making process? What about the people that lack common sense or make bad decisions to start with? Since not everyone is of the same mind, wouldn't this idea be a curse to some people, while seemingly, not affecting others? I'm just curious about these things.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Who would be using free will? People that are smoking the mind altering drug?
Yes
Wouldn't that interfere with the decision making process?
Quite possibly. So?
What about the people that lack common sense or make bad decisions to start with?
What about them? Are you saying we need a special law for every person who "might" make a bad decision?
Since not everyone is of the same mind, wouldn't this idea be a curse to some people, while seemingly, not affecting others? I'm just curious about these things.
Since not everyone is of the same mind, why are we making laws to try and force everyone to act the same? Should we criminalize every behavior that you personally don't agree with? On what grounds? If you have read or know of a creditable study which demonstrates conclusively that marijuana use is so catastrophic in it's consequences to society as a whole that our only recourse is to criminalize it and spend billions of taxpayer dollars in a never ending "war on drugs", in addition to locking up thousands of otherwise law abiding citizens for the terrible crime of smoking a plant, I would love to see it.

John19841

On the contrary, Ryan, if it is illegal, and it is, you're not allowed to do it outside on the street, or in the quiet privacy of your own home, so says the government, who say, it's illegal. You can't pick and choose which laws you will obey/disobey.

Here we go again. I never said it was legal. In fact, this whole discussion has been about why it should/not be illegal. Furthermore, you're comment just backs up my point. "so says the government, who say, it's illegal" It's illegal just because they say it's illegal. Why? For what legitimate reasons? And just to be a smart a** yes, I can pick and choose which laws to obey or disobey, doesn't mean I don't have to deal with the consequences of those laws.

I disagree with this statement as well. Sound like you're debating about the legalization of something that has absolutely no health benefit to the user. Why do you feel so strongly about this? How can you say that there is no consequence for those that use marijuana? Have you done a study on this? I suggest you do some more research, before you approve of something like this.

I could go on all day with this one. Tackling the short point first, No I have not done a study on this. Have you? What gives you the right any more than I to debate this then? Right...

Now, lots of things are legal that have no health benefit. The obvious here would be: Give me the health benefits of tobacco and alcohol. But getting away from those two, how about fried food, McDonalds, Candy, Fats, Oils, I could go on and on with food. Where's the health benefit in driving? Much healthier to walk. Outlaw 'em all I say!

What I would question you, is what are the health risks vs alcohol. Which is worse, because it can be assumed that they would both be used the same.

As I said before, what about your children, family and friends? Would you stop smoking so you could work? Would smoking and driving be against the law and if so why, if there is no obvious consequence? These are the little thoughts that come to mind when I hear about people wanting to legalize anything of this nature.

This is one of my pet peeves with the whole subject. No, I would not smoke while working just as I would not drink. You're analyzing way too much here. Yes, it impairs you. If it did not, there would be no point in using it.The original point I was making is so does alcohol, but Marijuana does it to a lesser degree.

Anyway, speaking about the whole thing while working, there is something I do want to mention. The hair follicle tests they are doing know to test for Marijuana are utterly ridiculous. They go back months. Weed, like alcohol, loses its effect hours after consumed. To deny someone a job, or cause someone to lose a job because of exposure taking place months before, which has absolutley no effect on what was happening when the test was taken, well...That's what should be illegal.

And for those that say, well it's natural, why would it be there if we weren't supposed to use it? Tree bark and dog feces are also natural, and I don't hear about anyone smoking that stuff.

I don't quite understand this. I've never heard that arguement for it before.

Anyway, I do like a nice heated debate. Now, if only more people in Washington would debate like this, maybe this country could get it's head out of its behind.