Memphis has issues

HedleyLamarr

Late freight is the new normal here. The only day we get out early is Monday because our freight arrives over the weekend; we won't get out any earlier than 0900 the rest of the week. My station is close enough to Memphis that we have a truck which makes an overnight Memphis run each night, so that driver sees firsthand what is going on at the hub. He says managers are loading cans, pushing containers into trucks, and doing basic package handler work because Memphis is around 20% understaffed right now. I heard a rumour tonight that about 1,000 package handlers walked out last week. Amazon has a new facility in Memphis and their starting pay is several dollars an hour more than FedEx is paying, so they are leaving in droves.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Late freight is the new normal here. The only day we get out early is Monday because our freight arrives over the weekend; we won't get out any earlier than 0900 the rest of the week. My station is close enough to Memphis that we have a truck which makes an overnight Memphis run each night, so that driver sees firsthand what is going on at the hub. He says managers are loading cans, pushing containers into trucks, and doing basic package handler work because Memphis is around 20% understaffed right now. I heard a rumour tonight that about 1,000 package handlers walked out last week. Amazon has a new facility in Memphis and their starting pay is several dollars an hour more than FedEx is paying, so they are leaving in droves.
Management claims the staffing shortage is because of Covid-19. Lol.

11.19igrad

Our station is under staffed due to injuries from being over worked....there's a reason the NFL doesn't play double headers...the human body can only take so much before it starts to break down.
using the fact that your body is only human is you not taking full responsibility!! youre just trying to blame something for your failure at ups!!! get new body parts! you're a second rate citizen!
( sarcastic)

fedx

Extra Large Package
I think under staffing is the new normal at FedEx. All the stations have openings to replace the ones that quit. FedEx needs to raise the starting pay and everyone else's pay for that matter. Couriers are micromanaged and put under high pressure time constraints for $17 or $18/hr in most places. And you need a medical card and abide by HOS regulations along with other hassles. However, you can get a job at Target for $15/hr or will be able to soon. You can get a customer service job sitting at a desk for $15/hr. FedEx needs to step up their pay if they want to keep employees. At this point FedEx is just a stepping stone job. But I have a feeling FedEx won't change anything. They are a reactive company instead of a proactive. By the time they react, it will be too late.

AB831

I think under staffing is the new normal at FedEx. All the stations have openings to replace the ones that quit. FedEx needs to raise the starting pay and everyone else's pay for that matter. Couriers are micromanaged and put under high pressure time constraints for $17 or $18/hr in most places. And you need a medical card and abide by HOS regulations along with other hassles. However, you can get a job at Target for $15/hr or will be able to soon. You can get a customer service job sitting at a desk for $15/hr. FedEx needs to step up their pay if they want to keep employees. At this point FedEx is just a stepping stone job. But I have a feeling FedEx won't change anything. They are a reactive company instead of a proactive. By the time they react, it will be too late.
They grossly overestimated the appeal of working for the greatest company in the world. Smoke weed behind the Target dumpster for $15 an hour or bust your ass in the broiling sun all day for $17 while being treated like you’re in boot camp? Tough call.

AB831

It doesn’t sound like they’re being FedEx strong. Maybe they need Fat Freddy to give them another motivational pin to wear with pride. That’ll change morale.

It will be fine

They grossly overestimated the appeal of working for the greatest company in the world. Smoke weed behind the Target dumpster for $15 an hour or bust your ass in the broiling sun all day for $17 while being treated like you’re in boot camp? Tough call.
Then why do you still work there? It’d be easier to study for school sitting on your rump at Target.

Serf

I’m not a “Big Company Guy.” But Mid 20$ an hr work with 10-17 hrs OT a week & the chance to not be at a desk sounds better than Target, Amazon, etc. Plus you stay fitter than all your buddies with Dad Bod. Just got to take care of your body from wear and tear. Glucosamine, Fish oil, Nuru Massage if that’s your thing.

bacha29

I have plenty of staff. I just don’t understand people that say there are so many better jobs available but still work for a company they hate.
And you are a member of Fat Freddy's staff. The only difference is you don't receive a salary from him. Nevertheless, whatever he tells you to do....you do it. And there's no talking back to him.

It will be fine

And you are a member of Fat Freddy's staff. The only difference is you don't receive a salary from him. Nevertheless, whatever he tells you to do....you do it. And there's no talking back to him.
Whatever you say buddy. I’m not the one crying about how awful my job is or how horribly I’ve been treated. I know what’s expected of me to keep the money flowing. Not much bothers me as long as the money hits my account every Friday.

dezguy

I’m not a “Big Company Guy.” But Mid 20$ an hr work with 10-17 hrs OT a week & the chance to not be at a desk sounds better than Target, Amazon, etc. Plus you stay fitter than all your buddies with Dad Bod. Just got to take care of your body from wear and tear. Glucosamine, Fish oil, Nuru Massage if that’s your thing.
Yeah, no.

CatMan

Totally! ..Closing in on the big 60...and still performing at a high level..I dig the freedom and responsibility of what we do..The expectations and tone from some managers suck! So, if you're lucky enough to have a cool manager that gets it ,it takes the sting out of all the other stuff. Every morning I thoroughly stretch out for about 10 to 15 minutes so when I get to work I'm ready...Oh yeah , and get good sleep and try not to get too fat and just turn the stress into energy. And say you're prayers that you're AC keeps working. Would I rather have a desk job for the same pay? NO!, not yet at least.