minimum wage

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
well today the state of Illinois minimum wage goes up to $8.00. good to know part timers get hired only 50 cents more and also don't get benefits till a year. talk about under paid slaves

upser_J

ummm with the unemployment rate approaching 10%, any job you can get you prolly shouldn't complain... I'm sure there are a bunch of auto workers getting laid off hoping they can find a minimum wage job now to keep their family afloat. I guess the best advice I can give you, and probably the majority of the people on here (though I don't speak for them) would be, if you don't like it, its your choice to work here, you can leave.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
well today the state of Illinois minimum wage goes up to $8.00. good to know part timers get hired only 50 cents more and also don't get benefits till a year. talk about under paid slaves

Too bad the greedy full-timers are not willing to give up a little to help their part-time brothers. :happy-very:

rod

Retired 22 years
Too bad the greedy full-timers are not willing to give up a little to help their part-time brothers. :happy-very:

And while they are at it they could throw a little to us poor retired souls-- we haven't recieved a penny from Obama yet:wink2:

wrecker

Most of us "greedy full timers" were part time for crap money. Although minimum wage was 4.25 when I got hired at 8.00.

brownrodster

Perhaps I'm one of the few drivers that thinks 30$ an hour for this job is absurd. I'd gladly give my raise to the PTers in the next contract.

Minimum wage in my state is 8.60$ or something.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I cant believe UPS even has a part time work force. I started on the preload in 1989 at 8.00 an hour. I got my benefits 30 days later. The minimum wage then was probably at 4.00 or a little less. Today, 20 years later, the part timers start at 8.50 which is just cents above minimum wage. And their benefits don't come for at least 6 months might even be a year. The company doesnt deserve the part time people it has that are working for peanuts. They also should be ashamed of themselves for not having kept up with 20 years of inflation.

But the greedy management teams could offer up a paycut and help out the part time people. Sounds fair enough to me.:wink2:

evilleace

The porter in my hub told me when he got hired on in 85 he started at $9 an hr which was 3x what minimum wage was then. I started at $8.50 last yr how is it that I am making less than he did 20 yrs ago for the same job. I UPS had kept the wage scale up then pt would be making $18-20 an hr. I just don't understand why they used to pay that but the union let them get away with keeping the rate the same for 25 yrs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
um I cant do that.I know that the starting pay is 17 an hr.I am at top pay.This is for a driver position.A loader and CSA agent make less.Im sure some of the other Fedex guys can chime in and back me up.
I work in NYC

FT drivers pay, though that is NOT what the discussion was about lol

Start $16.10
Seniority (30 working days) $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36)months (current top rate

FedEX 4 Life

FT drivers pay, though that is NOT what the discussion was about lol

Start $16.10
Seniority (30 working days) $17.25
Twelve (12) months $18.45
Twenty-four (24) months $20.75
Thirty-six (36)months (current top rate

we talkin bout part time

part time fedex $17.00
full benefits

top pay in 15 years(or more lol)

fedex starts way higher but takes forever to get top pay which is $25 an hr

whiskey

Clearly, since inside part timers work 3 times as hard as full timers, they should receive $90 dollars an hour. Now that's a no brainer.

upser_J

Clearly, since inside part timers work 3 times as hard as full timers, they should receive $90 dollars an hour. Now that's a no brainer.
hahahaha, perhaps you would work a lot less "hard" if you were working 8+ hours everyday, or showed up half the time!