minimum wage

labels_up

Box slinger
It is the nature of the beast. Take from the bottom and give to the top. Why do you think drivers are making as much as we do? It isn't because UPS is generous. It is because the people who actually show up to vote are the people that benefit from the wage increases. They couldn't care less about the people who are not gaining from new contracts as long as they get their raises. That's why p/t wages and benefits are a joke and why the progression for friend/t keeps expanding in length. I tried to point out some of the bad deals in this contract but all I got was, "Oh well, That doesn't affect me".

The problem is as a PT-er one gets the impression the union doesn't really give a damn except when it comes to taking money out of my check every month (they decided to take out an extra dollar this time??) and when it's time for an election/contract. It's not like we have a steward that works anywhere near/around where I am (primary sort) that we even see on a regular basis. Not to mention union meetings are 2 hours round trip away from where I live (that's about 1/2 a tank of gas for me, gas money is an issue when you work pt) and take place Sat. mornings when I work the night shift.

Oh, it was nice they killed the 22.3 jobs too, for those of us who were hoping to get one of those eventually...

UPSGUY72

We all make choices on where we want to work. I don't think any stuck a gun to your head and said that you had to work for UPS.

Before I work at UPS I worked in a paper mill making almost $20.00 hr and working 48 hrs a week but getting paid for 60. However the mill closed and I had to get two jobs.

One was working PT for UPS on the preload shift 5-9 for $9.50.
The other was working at a converting company 3:30pm-2:00 am for $11.00. Both of those jobs still didn't add up to what I was making at the mill but the UPS job gave me full benefits after 4 months and the opportunity to get a full time driver job.

Now I'm a full time driver and I'm not ashamed of making the money that I do.

I guess what pisses me off the most about people these days is that they want to make good money but don't want to put in the time or effort.

If you don't want to put in your time or effort than go get a job at Mc Donald's what I hear the starting pay is a little higher. But they probably don't give raises like UPS, there no chance of advancement and I'm sure they don't have anything close to the benefits that UPS gives us.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The problem is as a PT-er one gets the impression the union doesn't really give a damn except when it comes to taking money out of my check every month (they decided to take out an extra dollar this time??) and when it's time for an election/contract. It's not like we have a steward that works anywhere near/around where I am (primary sort) that we even see on a regular basis. Not to mention union meetings are 2 hours round trip away from where I live (that's about 1/2 a tank of gas for me, gas money is an issue when you work pt) and take place Sat. mornings when I work the night shift.

Oh, it was nice they killed the 22.3 jobs too, for those of us who were hoping to get one of those eventually...

You can not blame the union for "killing" 22.3 jobs. UPS technically would have never created them if the union did not care, even though the contract said they must. The fact is there is no language to maintain the specific jobs location, so UPS is using this loophole. Can not blame the union for that.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"

And the union sees it as p/ters not giving a damn. Most of the p/t loaders and unloaders have no idea why the money is being taken out of their check for dues. Fact is they don't care as long as they can do their thing and go home. Most of them have no desire to learn what the union is about. And don't blame the union for the loss of the combo jobs. I've heard that argument and it has no merit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And the union sees it as p/ters not giving a damn. Most of the p/t loaders and unloaders have no idea why the money is being taken out of their check for dues. Fact is they don't care as long as they can do their thing and go home. Most of them have no desire to learn what the union is about. And don't blame the union for the loss of the combo jobs. I've heard that argument and it has no merit.

Let me interpret this for you in a concise, terse explanation:
It is what it is. {sigh}
[Pull back camera as Hoax walks away]

JonFrum

Regarding the Minimum Wage . . .

The Federal Minimum Wage is due to increase to $7.25 per hour in three weeks. About 19 States already have State Minimum Wages at $7.25 or higher. Maybe they will go even higher on or after July 24th.

The Federal Minimum Wage applies nationwide, but an employee will get the State Minimum Wage if the State Wage is higher.

Currently, Calif. Conn. Ill. and Mass. are at $8.00.

Vermont is $8.06, Oregon is $8.40 and Washington is $8.55!!!

Yet UPS and the Teamsters start part-timers at $8.50!!! And remember, those part-timers have dues and initiation fee deducted from their check so they are really making that much less. And only get 17.5 hours a week or so.

The $8.50 Part-time Starting Wage is due to stay the same until the Contract expires July 31, 2013. Imagine how much State and Federal Minimum Wage Laws will exceed $8.50 by then.

herbigharo32

When comparing the choices of other PT work in the DFW area, UPS is quite good in my humble opinion. Try working thru a temp agency doing basically the same type of work and get NO BENEFITS, NO JOB SECURITY!! Years ago, I took a temp job at Home Interiors and Gifts in Carrolton, TX. The management treated me well. But, when my supplemental unemployment checks started running out, I quickly found another job. Basically, the work was very much the same as what I do at UPS now.

labels_up

Box slinger
Yeah, my wife used to work for a temp agency and no way in hell would I ever do that. She *hated* it.

Sorry if I came off as bitter in my earlier post...baaaaad week for me. But seriously, I;m not some n00b straight out of high school. I have a copy of contract, read it, I've been a sorter for almost 4 years, and will probably sign the driver list soon. Thing was I used to double shift a lot, I mean a LOT, and essentially it was practically a full time job. OF course, now no double shifts anymore.

Ahh well, I'm on my vacation now :happy-very:

herbigharo32

Last week, I offered to help on twilight and was told that we are only allowed to work extra shifts during Xmas time. I don't understand the silly rules. Working extra shifts would be in violation of contract only if you bump another employee with higher seniority. If the shift was short handed, risk of bumping another employee with seniority high or low was non existent.

labels_up

Box slinger
IIRC, the contract says "double shifters have seniority among themselves" a.k.a. if you are a double shifter your seniority is only relevant when compared to other double shifters, not people who actually work the shift on twilight. If they have another double shifter with less seniority working, or a supervisor working, (our local supplement to the contract says supervisors can only perform bargaining unit work if there are no double shifters and they have called everyone on the extra work bid list) then you could take issue.

JonFrum

The porter in my hub told me when he got hired on in 85 he started at $9 an hr which was 3x what minimum wage was then. I started at $8.50 last yr how is it that I am making less than he did 20 yrs ago for the same job. If UPS had kept the wage scale up then pt would be making $18-20 an hr. I just don't understand why they used to pay that but the union let them get away with keeping the rate the same for 25 yrs.
A quick history lesson . . .

Currently, part-timers are hired at $8.50 per hour, and jump to $9.50 after 90 days.

As of 5/1/1979 (that's over thirty years ago), all part-timers were hired at $7.59 per hour, and received 50-cent raises after 30, 60, 90, and 120 days. They thus made $9.59 after four months, which was a lot of money back then. They also got annual raises and even hefty Cost-of-Living raises. Also, any part-timer who worked beyond the fifth hour was guaranteed eight hours pay.

Then in 1982 (over 27 years ago), the Teamsters negotiated a severe cut in the part-time wage rate for all New Hires. All current part-timers (back then) would continue to earn $12.87, which was 56-cents less than drivers made. [Coincidentally, $12.87 is the same wage as a present day "skilled" part-timer will earn in his fifth year of progression.]

But all new part-timers hired on or after 7/2/1982 would only receive $8.00 (loader/unloader) or $9.00 (preloader/sorter).

Hard to believe, isn't it?

UPSGUY72

Last week, I offered to help on twilight and was told that we are only allowed to work extra shifts during Xmas time. I don't understand the silly rules. Working extra shifts would be in violation of contract only if you bump another employee with higher seniority. If the shift was short handed, risk of bumping another employee with seniority high or low was non existent.

I know in our building they have a list that the people on the preload and local sort can sign up if they want to be called in to work there other shift if hey are short handed.

upser_J

I know in our building they have a list that the people on the preload and local sort can sign up if they want to be called in to work there other shift if hey are short handed.

CHEMMA too except they hang it just cuz of the contract not to actually use it, still hear complaints on various shifts, oh we don't have enough people, sups r gonna have to work.. i find it amusing and grieve away!

mnnice

I know bums who would rather panhandle on the corner than work for 8.50$ an hour.

I think it's bodes poorly for the future of the company when your only criteria for hiring new people, who will someday be supervisors and drivers, is that they were willing to show up. If you cared about the future of the company maybe you would like to select the best candidates from an application pool, not hire those who cannot do any better than a lousy 8.50 an hour pt job and simply showed up to an interview.
I think you are looking at this entirely wrong. If an individual applies at UPS knowing he/she will have to work hard, get full benefits, maybe tuition reinbursement depending on where you work, the chance to become full-time or maybe go into management for $8.50, we should be thinking highly of these individuals instead of comparing them to bums. You have to look past the wage and include everything the jobs offers and the potential the company can offer if the individual wants it.

Everyone of you that are responding to this thread was hired because you showed up for the interview. Were you the best? Maybe not, but the person that hired you probably saw potential and gave you a chance.

Times are tough now, but I don't think we have lowered our standards when it comes to hiring good people for the future. Many of these people will be looking back to the day they were hired and thanking UPS for the opportunity.

$8.50 for the work they do in comparsion to other jobs is low, but other jobs don't offer the benefits and growth for part-time work that UPS does.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I think you are looking at this entirely wrong. If an individual applies at UPS knowing he/she will have to work hard, get full benefits, maybe tuition reinbursement depending on where you work, the chance to become full-time or maybe go into management for $8.50, we should be thinking highly of these individuals instead of comparing them to bums. You have to look past the wage and include everything the jobs offers and the potential the company can offer if the individual wants it.

Everyone of you that are responding to this thread was hired because you showed up for the interview. Were you the best? Maybe not, but the person that hired you probably saw potential and gave you a chance.

Times are tough now, but I don't think we have lowered our standards when it comes to hiring good people for the future. Many of these people will be looking back to the day they were hired and thanking UPS for the opportunity.

$8.50 for the work they do in comparsion to other jobs is low, but other jobs don't offer the benefits and growth for part-time work that UPS does.
But they don't get any of the benefits for 1 year. No family benefits for 18 months. No holiday pay etc. for 1 year. It's a raw deal. I think UPS is lucky the job market is tough right now because the pay and length of employment before benefits is no incentive.

705red

Browncafe Steward
But they don't get any of the benefits for 1 year. No family benefits for 18 months. No holiday pay etc. for 1 year. It's a raw deal. I think UPS is lucky the job market is tough right now because the pay and length of employment before benefits is no incentive.
Under the old contract it would take 36 months from seniority attainment to receive family coverage. That could take up to 39 months total to cover your family. Yes it sucks that the new hires have to wait a year for their benefits but the family wait has been cut on half.