minimum wage

brownrodster

I think you are looking at this entirely wrong. If an individual applies at UPS knowing he/she will have to work hard, get full benefits, maybe tuition reinbursement depending on where you work, the chance to become full-time or maybe go into management for $8.50, we should be thinking highly of these individuals instead of comparing them to bums. You have to look past the wage and include everything the jobs offers and the potential the company can offer if the individual wants it.

8.5 is lower than the minimum wage in my state. Throughout my time here at UPS we have always been understaffed due to the inability to find people to do this job. The wait for FT is astronomical. Tuition reimbursement for non management does not exist. Turnover is atrocious with new PTers sometimes quitting days after being hired.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
8.5 is lower than the minimum wage in my state. Throughout my time here at UPS we have always been understaffed due to the inability to find people to do this job. The wait for FT is astronomical. Tuition reimbursement for non management does not exist. Turnover is atrocious with new PTers sometimes quitting days after being hired.
Don't they have to pay at least minimum wage?

brownrodster

Don't they have to pay at least minimum wage?

Yes. Buy why would someone work here for minimum wage when most jobs pay at least 10$ an hour to start. The vast majority of new hires know absolutely nothing about UPS. They don't know there are any opportunities or raises in the future. Before they've worked here for some time they don't know that drivers make good money or even how someone becomes a driver. They just see a paltry starting wage and look elsewhere.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Yes. Buy why would someone work here for minimum wage when most jobs pay at least 10$ an hour to start. The vast majority of new hires know absolutely nothing about UPS. They don't know there are any opportunities or raises in the future. Before they've worked here for some time they don't know that drivers make good money or even how someone becomes a driver. They just see a paltry starting wage and look elsewhere.
Another thing they don't know is just how hard they are going to have to work to earn that wage.