minimum wage

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
It is the nature of the beast. Take from the bottom and give to the top. Why do you think drivers are making as much as we do? It isn't because UPS is generous. It is because the people who actually show up to vote are the people that benefit from the wage increases. They couldn't care less about the people who are not gaining from new contracts as long as they get their raises. That's why p/t wages and benefits are a joke and why the progression for friend/t keeps expanding in length. I tried to point out some of the bad deals in this contract but all I got was, "Oh well, That doesn't affect me".

JustTired

free at last.......
First off....I think $8.50/hr is a ridiculously low figure for the amount of work performed (in comparison to other PT jobs).

Having said that....here is my theory.
There are two types of people seeking these jobs. The first is the student who is looking for some spending money or money to help out his parents in paying for that schooling. Still covered under his parents insurance with no need for his/her own. The second is someone who is self employed or working another job without benefit coverage. To them the coverage is the most important part of their compensation.

I still don't see why the company can't offer a choice that would benefit both type of workers. There could be a choice at the time of employment where the employee could choose whether they want the benefit pkg or not. Those that don't need it would receive a little more hourly wage compensation. If later the situation changed, they would have a 1-time chance to reverse that decision.

I'm sure that ideally the company would like to choose the student over the non-student employee, but in some areas it might not be possible. And if I were a student, the choice between flipping burgers or busting my tail moving pkgs for the same amount of money, would be a no-brainer. For the non-student employee, the benefits pkg is most likely the attraction, not the hourly wage. JMO

tramtwo

Well lets just see...

YTD Pay (JUST went over a year)

Hrs 269.48 Pay 2,705.19 about 10 bucks an hour

Three trips to the Dentist Cost $425 Paid $24 Net $401
I'm up to $11.50 an hour...

Lets see complete physical including blood work and in office procedure
Cost $807 paid $42 Net $765

I’m up to about $14.37 an hour… ;)

Now lets see..

Three prescriptions Cost $450 Paid $60 Net $390

I’m up to $15.81 an hour ;)

Now lets not forget about the $20 a month discount for cell phone YTD $120 and health club dues discount YTD $270

That puts me at $17.25 an hour…

These are rough numbers… we could figure in several more factors that would raise the number some… (vacation, holidays, education benefits, vision, retail cost savings...)

I bust my hump… but am very grateful… not a bad deal for UPS either it cost them about .04 a package to pay me for my services…

mungrin

Banned
Well lets just see...

Now lets see..

Now lets not forget about the $20 a month discount for cell phone YTD $120 and health club dues discount YTD $270

These are rough numbers… we could figure in several more factors that would raise the number some… (vacation, holidays, education benefits, vision, retail cost savings...)

I bust my hump… but am very grateful… not a bad deal for UPS either it cost them about .04 a package to pay me for my services…
I dont get your Math.You are factoring benefits into your hourly wage?

Dude,huge fail.

tramtwo

value added... it is the total compensation I receive for services rendered...

stiill only take home a hundred bucks a week... but it is more that enough to pay the note on my Fatboy... ;)

whiskey

Well lets just see...

I added in your 6 weeks vacation and now your at $61.75/hour.
Now lets see..

UPSGUY72

If you don't like starting out PT and making hardly anything GO FIND ANOTHER JOB. There are plenty of people out there that will take your place and put in ther time as a PT for the oportunity to be a driver down the road

brownrodster

If you don't like starting out PT and making hardly anything GO FIND ANOTHER JOB. There are plenty of people out there that will take your place and put in ther time as a PT for the oportunity to be a driver down the road

I know bums who would rather panhandle on the corner than work for 8.50$ an hour.

I think it's bodes poorly for the future of the company when your only criteria for hiring new people, who will someday be supervisors and drivers, is that they were willing to show up. If you cared about the future of the company maybe you would like to select the best candidates from an application pool, not hire those who cannot do any better than a lousy 8.50 an hour pt job and simply showed up to an interview.

upser_J

I know bums who would rather panhandle on the corner than work for 8.50$ an hour.

I think it's bodes poorly for the future of the company when your only criteria for hiring new people, who will someday be supervisors and drivers, is that they were willing to show up. If you cared about the future of the company maybe you would like to select the best candidates from an application pool, not hire those who cannot do any better than a lousy 8.50 an hour pt job and simply showed up to an interview.

less workers mean more ot for everyone :anxious:

mungrin

Banned
Stop thinking like a rookie...with the yrs you have in you should understand and appreciate your compensation pkg.
Huh? I do appreciate my compensation but i dont go around telling people i make $68 an hour because i dont.Im not thinking like a rookie,im thinking like a normal person.I get an hrly wage+benefits.

If you wanna go around and tell people you make some fake number go right ahead.People might see you as a weirdo.

Huh? I do appreciate my compensation but i dont go around telling people i make $68 an hour because i dont.Im not thinking like a rookie,im thinking like a normal person.I get an hrly wage+benefits.

If you wanna go around and tell people you make some fake number go right ahead.People might see you as a weirdo.

Are you ashamed of the fact you actually make that much an hour when you factor in all the benefits? Of course not. My point is many friend/t employees do not understand how much they are really paid per hour when the cost of all benefits are added into it. Then they have the gall to complain about p/t wages.

mungrin

Banned
Are you ashamed of the fact you actually make that much an hour when you factor in all the benefits? Of course not. My point is many friend/t employees do not understand how much they are really paid per hour when the cost of all benefits are added into it. Then they have the gall to complain about p/t wages.
I dont make that much an hour because I dont factor my benefits into my hourly wage.

I dont make that much an hour because I dont factor my benefits into my hourly wage.

I used to think exactly like you do until UPS would send out those compensation pamphlets as to additional benefit cost. At that point I realized how much it was costing to employ my butt. By the way, do you have a R/O or option day today?