Minimum Wage

P

pickup

maybe raise your expectations.

its 2017 and the economy produces more wealth than ever, yet the american dream is dying, economy is worse for 90% of the population, and this is a long term trend. there should be more leisure time than ever , yet people are still working 40 hours. if the federal minimum wage matched rising productivity it would have been over $20 per hour now. instead all of the gains in productivity have gone to the very top. min wage is lower than it was at its peak in 1968 which is my opinion is when america was maybe at its greatest.

Don't forget 1969, America put a man on the moon while Canada was doing.. well.. whatever Canada does.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
$15 an hour to make tacos, when other people make much much less doing harder work. I make $11 hour in the same city I worked at Taco Bell in. It's ridiculous that people want more money for a "high school kid" job. That's essentially the mentality that started this whole thing in Seattle. "I'm not making enough money, even though I work at a fast food restaurant, that isn't fair". And because it's Seattle, they aid to all the people instead of telling them to get off their asses to make more money.
So your argument against someone making a living wage is that it's not fair because you don't make a living wage?

Last edited:
W

What The Hawk?

So you're argument against someone making a living wage is that it's not fair because you don't make a living wage?
No..I probably worded it badly. I'm saying that whiny mentality of "I should make more, even though I work in fast food" is what started this high minimum wage bull crap. I don't support the higher minimum wage. I support people shutting the hell up and working to move up in the world.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No..I probably worded it badly. I'm saying that whiny mentality of "I should make more, even though I work in fast food" is what started this high minimum wage bull crap. I don't support the higher minimum wage. I support people shutting the hell up and working to move up in the world.
I'm gonna say this in as simple terms as I can.
If a business cannot afford to pay a living wage, then they should not be in business at all.

That's all there is to it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
and is fox news a reputable source, or is it ``fox said it, so it must be true!``

you should keep track of how often you are complaining against people who have nothing like min wage workers, immigrants, muslims, etc. im noticing a trend.
you keep track of that....it'll make you feel useful.

W

What The Hawk?

If a business cannot afford to pay a living wage, then they should not be in business at all.

LOL they could afford to pay the minimum wage, until people cried about it and it increased $2, $3, $4 etc. It can't keep going up and people expect the cost of living to remain the same. They want to be richer, but they don't want to work harder.

W

What The Hawk?

Businesses need to make money, that's why they're a business. So if you hike up the minimum wage but keep your donuts shop prices the same..you're losing money. So what do they do? Hike up the minimum wage, hike up the prices.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
By definition, two jobs that pay less than a living wage does not equal a living wage. Ttku Dan.

I agree with that ... that's the only way people are going to pay what they should for goods and services.

W

What The Hawk?

Ok, so what's the problem?
Here's an example.."I work at Taco Bell, I live in WA and I make $11/HR. It's a part time job and I work 4 maybe 5 hours a day 5 days a week..but I need more money to pay off my debts. Better bitch to the city about my problem instead of getting another job. Wow, I finally get $15 an hour, but there aren't as many coworkers now because Taco Bell can't afford to pay everyone $15 an hour, they had to up the prices of food to make back the difference in money they lost giving me a 4 dollar raise, they also had to let go of a few people cause even with the hike up in prices they still can't afford to pay everyone $15 an hour..thus my friends C and D are unemployed now".

BrownArmy

A. No one should ever eat at McDonalds.

B. It's a fallacy to call fast-food jobs 'entry-level'. We've failed as a nation to educate our populace, and we pay five times on the back-end for what we should have spent two-times on the front-end.

Since we can't collectively, as a nation, educate our youth, then yes:

Many Citizens are only qualified for fast-food jobs.

Mickey D's used to be a starter job, now it's a career.

C. You can't make Mickey D's a career, unless you go into management, and we literally don't have an education system that teaches young adults how (or possibly why) to make change from a dollar.

The USA is putting a shotgun into its own face.

MAKAVELI

LOL they could afford to pay the minimum wage, until people cried about it and it increased $2, $3, $4 etc. It can't keep going up and people expect the cost of living to remain the same. They want to be richer, but they don't want to work harder.
Cost of living goes up no matter what. Goods and services go up every year just to increase profit. You fail to understand that it's not just fast food workers that are paid minimum wage. Most unskilled labor jobs are paid at minimum or slightly above. These workers are the backbone of most cities and have been forgotten and ridiculed for the work they do. I don't care if you are flipping burgers, cleaning toilets, or washing dishes. If you are working and helping a business and its owners profit, you deserve the dignity to be able to provide the necessities to survive.

W

What The Hawk?

Cost of living goes up no matter what. Goods and services go up every year just to increase profit. You fail to understand that it's not just fast food workers that are paid minimum wage. Most unskilled labor jobs are paid at minimum or slightly above. These workers are the backbone of most cities and have been forgotten and ridiculed for the work they do. I don't care if you are flipping burgers, cleaning toilets, or washing dishes. If you are working and helping a business and its owners profit, you deserve the dignity to be able to provide the necessities to survive.
It's also Seattle, they bitched about upping the minimum wage instead of bitching about ways to actually make the cost of living cheaper.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Here's an example.."I work at Taco Bell, I live in WA and I make $11/HR. It's a part time job and I work 4 maybe 5 hours a day 5 days a week..but I need more money to pay off my debts. Better bitch to the city about my problem instead of getting another job. Wow, I finally get $15 an hour, but there aren't as many coworkers now because Taco Bell can't afford to pay everyone $15 an hour, they had to up the prices of food to make back the difference in money they lost giving me a 4 dollar raise, they also had to let go of a few people cause even with the hike up in prices they still can't afford to pay everyone $15 an hour..thus my friends C and D are unemployed now".
I wouldn't call standing up for yourself and demanding a living wage "bitching" or "whining". What I will say is that I think using the government to achieve that is a lost cause. If these people want better treatment in the workplace they should unionize. This of course leads the conversation to the Republican war on workers and unions, but that's another discussion.

When it comes to having to lay people off and raise prices, I say that's fine with me. Pay a living wage and let the chips fall where they will. If it means you need higher productivity and less workers, so be it. If it means you need to raise prices, so be it.

A government instituted minimum wage has positives and negatives. In it's current form, seems to me that all it does is keep wages artificially low, and with that comes artificially low prices. There's a reason people don't want to raise the minimum wage and you hear this argument every time the debate comes up..... they want the crap they buy to be cheap. Doesn't matter to them who has to be underpaid to produce their cheap crap, so long as it's cheap..... then they'll bitch about welfare and food stamps..... smh.