Minimum Wage

BrownArmy

Nope. I'm not in that area. I'm not thanking them for making such a beautiful city a POS place to live because all they do is bitch. Drivers made bank before they picketed anyway..

Slow down.

Take a second and do a little research into the UPS workforce, and unions in general.

Bitching got us where we are today.

Different times, no doubt, but the force behind people fighting for a 'living wage' goes back decades.

W

What The Hawk?

Slow down.

Take a second and do a little research into the UPS workforce, and unions in general.

Bitching got us where we are today.

Different times, no doubt, but the force behind people fighting for a 'living wage' goes back decades.
The difference is the sense of entitlement they feel. Most of those jobs they seek higher wages from aren't supposed to be full time jobs and/or careers anyway. Not all, some of them deserve more for the work they do..

W

What The Hawk?

Sorry I don't see your point, you tell me to thank them. Why? If I lived in Seattle I would punch them all in the face for making it more expensive to live there. Higher pay, higher prices, in some cases higher unemployment rates. Seattle has a plague of problems that could be abolished to make it cheaper to live there..yet their favorite thing to do is RAISE pretty much everything..

MAKAVELI

Sorry I don't see your point, you tell me to thank them. Why? If I lived in Seattle I would punch them all in the face for making it more expensive to live there. Higher pay, higher prices, in some cases higher unemployment rates. Seattle has a plague of problems that could be abolished to make it cheaper to live there..yet their favorite thing to do is RAISE pretty much everything..
Welcome to America!

rickyb

"I'm not making enough money, even though I work at a fast food restaurant, that isn't fair".
theyre right, and theres ALOT of adults doing those kind of jobs.

but like i said, say you do have a 15 per hour min wage. so what. the money is still being mostly concentrated at the top.

what you need is worker owned and controlled jobs. not capitalism.

W

What The Hawk?

theyre right, and theres ALOT of adults doing those kind of jobs.

but like i said, say you do have a 15 per hour min wage. so what. the money is still being mostly concentrated at the top.

what you need is worker owned and controlled jobs. not capitalism.
No, they're not right. There are many reasons why the cost of living in Seattle is high. Instead of fixing those issues, they want someone else to suffer financially to help them out (like, raising the minimum wage). People also fail to look at the other factors contributing to the high cost of living in Seattle. The residents of Seattle are it's own downfall.

rickyb

No..I probably worded it badly. I'm saying that whiny mentality of "I should make more, even though I work in fast food" is what started this high minimum wage bull crap. I don't support the higher minimum wage. I support people shutting the hell up and working to move up in the world.
im guessing the thing that started minimum wage BS is alot of people making a whole lot less than minimum wage.

rickyb

No, they're not right. There are many reasons why the cost of living in Seattle is high. Instead of fixing those issues, they want someone else to suffer financially to help them out (like, raising the minimum wage). People also fail to look at the other factors contributing to the high cost of living in Seattle. The residents of Seattle are it's own downfall.
im not an expert but im guessing housing speculation, outsourcing of jobs, privatized centralization of the economy aka corporate capitalism, low union numbers, and a weak labor movement are to blame.

W

What The Hawk?

im guessing the thing that started minimum wage BS is alot of people making a whole lot less than minimum wage.
People wanting higher minimum wage are the same people who support higher taxes in the city of Seattle without looking at the big picture.

W

What The Hawk?

im not an expert but im guessing housing speculation, outsourcing of jobs, privatized centralization of the economy aka corporate capitalism, low union numbers, and a weak labor movement are to blame.
Just the people are to blame. They're too stupid to realize WHY they can't afford the cost of living in Seattle.

rickyb

Businesses need to make money, that's why they're a business. So if you hike up the minimum wage but keep your donuts shop prices the same..you're losing money. So what do they do? Hike up the minimum wage, hike up the prices.
just because wages go up prices dont necessarily follow. businesses are free to increase or decrease the price of goods as they please. they can absorb the costs of a higher min wage, or they can increase the prices of your goods.

an example of this is during the great depression is that even though wages were falling in america, costs of goods were falling faster which still caused the real wage to rise.

another example was this oil company i believe added an additive to their product and they charged the customers more, and then eventually they stopped adding it, but still again charged the customers more.

real wages rose for 150 years straight in US and ended in 1973 i believe. real wages are how much people can buy adjusted for inflation.

1280px-US_productivity_and_real_wages.jpg

rickyb

People wanting higher minimum wage are the same people who support higher taxes in the city of Seattle without looking at the big picture.
a majority of americans want higher taxes on the rich.

if the news is talking about simply raising or lowering taxes without saying who, then consider it a propaganda term.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
just because wages go up prices dont necessarily follow. businesses are free to increase or decrease the price of goods as they please. they can absorb the costs of a higher min wage, or they can increase the prices of your goods.

an example of this is during the great depression is that even though wages were falling in america, costs of goods were falling faster which still caused the real wage to rise.

real wages rose for 150 years straight in US and ended in 1973 i believe. real wages are how much people can buy adjusted for inflation.

1280px-US_productivity_and_real_wages.jpg
If the cost of the goods go up then the purchasing power goes down. That's the point.....raising the minimum wage does nothing but hurt those whose are min wage workers.

BrownArmy

On a side note, you seem to be whining just a bit.

I live near Boston, where the cost of living is astronomical.

Realistically, you'll get zero sympathy from me vis-a-vis cost of living, etc.

Who do you think will 'fix those issues' that you speak of?

The Starbucks workers?

The Government?

Tell me if I'm wrong here:

You live in an expensive town and you resent workers in said town wanting a share in their employers' success.

Again, minimum-wage jobs used to be a stepping-stone, but now they're the way many Citizens live, albeit barely.

Is it so wrong for workers at multi-billion dollar companies to ask for an extra dollar?

Someone did a study - if Mickey D's paid their workers $15 an hour, the cost of a Big Mac would rise by $0.05.

The horror.

rickyb

The difference is the sense of entitlement they feel. Most of those jobs they seek higher wages from aren't supposed to be full time jobs and/or careers anyway. Not all, some of them deserve more for the work they do..
americans invented May Day. that makes you great. your looking at it from the wrong perspective. north america doesnt protest enough. we are way behind europe and australia. if we protested more, we could at least be as good as the other developed countries.