Minimum Wage

BrownArmy

Cost of living goes up no matter what. Goods and services go up every year just to increase profit. You fail to understand that it's not just fast food workers that are paid minimum wage. Most unskilled labor jobs are paid at minimum or slightly above. These workers are the backbone of most cities and have been forgotten and ridiculed for the work they do. I don't care if you are flipping burgers, cleaning toilets, or washing dishes. If you are working and helping a business and its owners profit, you deserve the dignity to be able to provide the necessities to survive.

We're sliding back to post-WW1 conditions.

I think this is what Republicans want: cancel the 'New Deal', cancel Medicare, cancel everything related to the 'Great Society'.

Basically, Eff off and die.

W

What The Hawk?

I wouldn't call standing up for yourself and demanding a living wage "bitching" or "whining". What I will say is that I think using the government to achieve that is a lost cause. If these people want better treatment in the workplace they should unionize. This of course leads the conversation to the Republican war on workers and unions, but that's another discussion.

When it comes to having to lay people off or raise prices, I say that's fine with me. Pay a living wage and let the chips fall where they will. If it means you need higher productivity and less workers, so be it. If it means you need to raise prices, so be it.

A government instituted minimum wage has positives and negatives. In it's current form, seems to me that all it does is keep wages artificially low, and with that comes artificially low prices. There's a reason people don't want to raise the minimum wage and you hear this argument every time the debate comes up..... they want the :censored2: they buy to be cheap. Doesn't matter to them who has to to suffer for their cheap :censored2:, so long as it's cheap.
LOL you fail to look at the individual businesses these employees are seeking higher minimum wage from. I make the state minimum wage in WA. In Seattle they make even more and they're still complaining. It's laughable.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
LOL you fail to look at the individual businesses these employees are seeking higher minimum wage from. I make the state minimum wage in WA. In Seattle they make even more and they're still complaining. It's laughable.
Out of curiosity, why do you feel your employer cannot pay you a living wage? Or are you suggesting you don't deserve one....

MAKAVELI

Stop whining about making $11 and better yourself to get a better paying job.:balloon:

W

What The Hawk?

Out of curiosity, why do you feel your employer cannot pay you a living wage? Or are you suggesting you don't deserve one....
Because I'm literally at the bottom of the company. I'm a preloader. Wanna know why I'm not complaining? Because I can move up and actually make more than a living wage. The moment I become a driver, I will be making $18.26.

It will be fine

Because I'm literally at the bottom of the company. I'm a preloader. Wanna know why I'm not complaining? Because I can move up and actually make more than a living wage. The moment I become a driver, I will be making $18.26.
Do you think the teamsters will have more or less leverage for a wage increase for new drivers if the minimum wage is raised to $15 nationally?

W

What The Hawk?

You people fail to see the types of jobs employees are demanding a higher wage from!

W

What The Hawk?

You worked at 1. There's literally thousands of different jobs that pay min wage. You are obviously young and lack life experience.
I was working two jobs actually. Both minimum wage. One $11/hr and one $15/hr. These people got time to picket for higher wage but not get a second job..makes sense.

MAKAVELI

I was working two jobs actually. Both minimum wage. One $11/hr and one $15/hr. These people got time to picket for higher wage but not get a second job..makes sense.
People picketing is what made the opportunity for you to make $100k+ a year as a driver. Next time you see someone picketing, thank them.

W

What The Hawk?

People picketing is what made the opportunity for you to make $100k+ a year as a driver. Next time you see someone picketing, thank them.
Nope. I'm not in that area. I'm not thanking them for making such a beautiful city a POS place to live because all they do is bitch. Drivers made bank before they picketed anyway..