Minimum Wage

MAKAVELI

If the cost of the goods go up then the purchasing power goes down. That's the point.....raising the minimum wage does nothing but hurt those whose are min wage workers.
The cost of goods will always go up. It's called inflation. But the problem is min wage has not kept up with inflation , lowering purchasing power the most. Ask yourself if federal min wage has not gone up, why does goods and services keep rising?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
if you raise it too much it does. im pretty sure 15 is not too much.
That's doubling what the federal min wage was just a few years ago.

And unions are fighting AGAINST this. They are going to have to give up things on the benefit end for their employees because their wages are being raised.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The cost of goods will always go up. It's called inflation. But the problem is min wage has not kept up with inflation , lowering purchasing power the most. Ask yourself if federal min wage has not gone up, why does goods and services keep rising?
The problem businesses have a business plan. Do you think they are going to drastically change that plan or cut hours and push their workers harder to keep labor costs in check?

BrownArmy

If the cost of the goods go up then the purchasing power goes down. That's the point.....raising the minimum wage does nothing but hurt those whose are min wage workers.

The other part of that equation is that corporations' profit margins don't have to be so obscene.

Raising the minimum wage isn't the boogey-man that it's made out to be.

If the minimum wage had just increased with inflation, it would be closer to $17 an hour.

(Think about that...costs of everything rise and rise and rise, but minimum wage? nope, we'll peg it to 1970 numbers or whatever).

Is it your assertion that, in our changing economy, Citizens should be able to survive on three 1970's-era minimum-wage jobs?

Bollucks.

W

What The Hawk?

On a side note, you seem to be whining just a bit.

I live near Boston, where the cost of living is astronomical.

Realistically, you'll get zero sympathy from me vis-a-vis cost of living, etc.

Who do you think will 'fix those issues' that you speak of?

The Starbucks workers?

The Government?

Tell me if I'm wrong here:

You live in an expensive town and you resent workers in said town wanting a share in their employers' success.

Again, minimum-wage jobs used to be a stepping-stone, but now they're the way many Citizens live, albeit barely.

Is it so wrong for workers at multi-billion dollar companies to ask for an extra dollar?

Someone did a study - if Mickey D's paid their workers $15 an hour, the cost of a Big Mac would rise by $0.05.

The horror.
Funny how it seems I'm whining when I'm just debating. Seems to be the go to argument. I don't even live in Seattle. I'm from Seattle and see how stupid the people are.

MAKAVELI

And unions are fighting AGAINST this. They are going to have to give up things on the benefit end for their employees because their wages are being raised.
Only a weak union would fight against raising min wage. And that union wouldn't be worth paying dues for in my opinion.

W

What The Hawk?

On a side note, you seem to be whining just a bit.

I live near Boston, where the cost of living is astronomical.

Realistically, you'll get zero sympathy from me vis-a-vis cost of living, etc.

Who do you think will 'fix those issues' that you speak of?

The Starbucks workers?

The Government?

Tell me if I'm wrong here:

You live in an expensive town and you resent workers in said town wanting a share in their employers' success.

Again, minimum-wage jobs used to be a stepping-stone, but now they're the way many Citizens live, albeit barely.

Is it so wrong for workers at multi-billion dollar companies to ask for an extra dollar?

Someone did a study - if Mickey D's paid their workers $15 an hour, the cost of a Big Mac would rise by $0.05.

The horror.
You aren't looking at the big picture, nor the facts, nor the differences between cities and states. Why should a fast food worker make $15 an hour in a city when they also voted to raise taxes in said city?

rickyb

theres deflation as well. and maybe stagflation...i forget

W

What The Hawk?

americans invented May Day. that makes you great. your looking at it from the wrong perspective. north america doesnt protest enough. we are way behind europe and australia. if we protested more, we could at least be as good as the other developed countries.
Again, not the issue at hand here. There are far more serious issues America needs to deal with.

rickyb

unions are a spent force. terribly weak and corrupt. but still better than no union.

rickyb

Again, not the issue at hand here. There are far more serious issues America needs to deal with.
no thats the major issue that will affect all the other issues.

rich people dont just say ``gee, im feeling generous today, im gonna make my workers life alot better``. neither does government. you usually have to demand it by organizing. thats what the civil rights, labor movement, anti war movements are all about.

power concedes nothing without a demand.

BrownArmy

You aren't looking at the big picture, nor the facts, nor the differences between cities and states. Why should a fast food worker make $15 an hour in a city when they also voted to raise taxes in said city?

K.

I feel that I am looking at the big picture; ymmv.

As far as fast food workers' wages go, it's not clear to me why it's relevant if a city is rich or poor, or if said city raised taxes or not.

Explain to me what I'm missing.