Minimum Wage

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Therefore your argument is invalid. You again aren't looking at facts. You're taking things from a simple search w/o looking into it deeper. The rent for that place does not include utilities, parking and other things which are things you need to consider..

Are you serious bro? You made the argument about RENT, and when you're given an example you don't like you deflect and start talking about utilities and parking costs? It also doesn't include the cost of food, what the hell do that have to do with rent.... lmao

Rent is rent, you want to run your grow lights all day that's on you.

W

What The Hawk?

Are you serious bro? You made the argument about RENT, and when you're given an example you don't like you deflect and start talking about utilities and parking costs? lmao
Your arguments are weak and simply not proving anything..prove me wrong. FACTS.

MAKAVELI

Therefore your argument is invalid. You again aren't looking at facts. You're taking things from a simple search w/o looking into it deeper. The rent for that place does not include utilities, parking and other things which are things you need to consider..
Public transportation and no need for AC would reduce those expenses greatly. :wink2:

W

What The Hawk?

$15 an hour wage in Seattle has SOME benefits but not many and certainly not going to solve the issues the workers are facing.

W

What The Hawk?

That article is 2 years old and doesn't reflect the current economic conditions for many of those cities, especially San Francisco.
Studies are happening all the time and you know what? The outcomes are going to depend on the personal opinions of the people or team conducting the studies. The mayor of Seattle fails to see the drop backs of the higher wage, only the few good parts of it. These raises will be better for most in the beginning, but when businesses and landlords and others adjust their costs, it'll go back to normal.

MAKAVELI

Studies are happening all the time and you know what? The outcomes are going to depend on the personal opinions of the people or team conducting the studies. The mayor of Seattle fails to see the drop backs of the higher wage, only the few good parts of it. These raises will be better for most in the beginning, but when businesses and landlords and others adjust their costs, it'll go back to normal.
The Bay Area has one of the most expensive housing markets in the country. And guess what? It has absolutely zero to do with min wage. Its caused by three simple factors. Supply, Demand, and Greed.
Bay Area housing crisis splits young and old

It will be fine

Damn near impossible in fact. But, then all economic projections begin with, "All other aspects being held constant, ..."

PS - I don't think I heard that word since I quit hanging around Medical people.
You in or around Medical people?
I'm certainly not in any medical people. I like the word, musta got it frum some book learnin.

It will be fine

Your arguments are weak and simply not proving anything..prove me wrong. FACTS.
There are no FACTS in economics. There is no "control" Seattle where they didn't raise the minimum wage. In economics there is theory and indicators. Different studies try to identify causes and results.

I can understand business owners arguing against raising the wage, it doesn't make much sense to me for a worker making minimum to argue against its raise. Trickle down won't happen, labor cost is only one of many factors in determining costs of goods and services and any correlation between raising wages and costs of goods are not 1:1.

W

What The Hawk?

There are no FACTS in economics. There is no "control" Seattle where they didn't raise the minimum wage. In economics there is theory and indicators. Different studies try to identify causes and results.

I can understand business owners arguing against raising the wage, it doesn't make much sense to me for a worker making minimum to argue against its raise. Trickle down won't happen, labor cost is only one of many factors in determining costs of goods and services and any correlation between raising wages and costs of goods are not 1:1.
Ok I can agree with that. Facts was not a good term to use.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
I live in Seattle where, as mentioned, the minimum wage was recently raised to $15/hr.
A recent study published revealed that Seattle small business jobs have been LESSENED by over 5000 jobs... that's 5000 people without work now all because burger flippers felt entitled.

wkmac

Another way of creating a raise for minimum wage workers without touching the wage itself is an economic policy that makes the dollar stronger in purchasing power. This not only positively effects minimum wage workers at their current wealth level but helps across the entire working class making their dollars go farther in purchasing power. By giving them a bump up in discretionary income, this economic stimulus, which many economists suggest is the best source of economic expansion and growth, tends to grow local economies leading to jobs and even more tax revenue. That is the real trickle down which few in power (both sides) want to talk about, instead opting for grand scale, centralized, top down approaches that the last 50 years or more has led to the great consolidation in wealth among the metaphoric 1% while the leaking boat known as the working class is sinking as wealth disappears upwards. The State with gun in hand acts as the Highwayman robbing the less fortunate and re-distributing the wealth to their handlers and masters.

But so far as I can see it, neither political party when in power wants to achieve these ends of a stronger dollar in purchasing power contrary to all the lip service given to areas of economics. A stronger dollar tends to have a kind of deflationary effect which is the opposite of what political power wants. Deflation only makes the debt problem that much worse (see why of 2007/2010 bank bailout and quantitative easing) which is why there is no political will in that direction. The bailout was the working class paying the piper while the wealth of the metaphorical 1% is saved and preserved once again. Thus why the original Tea Party and Occupy were on the same page and right.

Increasing the minimum wage "CAN" pressure both prices and wages across the board upward which bring in more tax revenue for the gov't thus acting as a debt bailout to a nightmare they created and lets them off the hook. Thus ONE MORE TIME the working class takes it on the chin and over the long run gets no where when all is said and done.

Regardless, the working class on all levels is going to get screwed!

As the great wordsmith H.L. Mencken once said:

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

When are we going to wake up and smell the coffee?