Mirrors on the highway

abelcain

Hey guys just finished my first week- going well so far (thanks for all the advice everybody) but there’s one thing I’m still incredibly uneasy about- driving on the highway to and from my route...

As soon as I hit the highway the wind blows the mirrors in, and if I need to get off at my exit I can’t see a thing in the right lane. (Also my Exit is like a few hundred feet from an entrance where another highway merges on so I can’t really see the cars entering)

Any advice on how to deal with this other than just signaling and freaking praying for the best? Apparently they’ve been tightening the mirrors at night but that hasn’t helped stop them from blowing in immediately

rod

Retired 22 years
Carry an old pair of pliers with you and tighten the damn things. Or better yet pull into a garage and have them tighten it and tell them to send the bill to UPS for the $60 minimum charge. I'm amazed at what kids now days think is a major problem.

abelcain

Carry an old pair of pliers with you and tighten the damn things. Or better yet pull into a garage and have them tighten it and tell them to send the bill to UPS for the $60 minimum charge. I'm amazed at what kids now days think is a major problem.

Oh yeah good idea I’ll tighten them when I do my preinspection in the morning thanks m8.

21Savage

Facts. As a cover driver who has a different truck every day/week that :censored2: pisses me off. How do these dudes not write that up and get it fixed?All you can do is just stay in the lane you'll be turning from and wait for your exit.

Attachments

• giphy-6.gif
    giphy-6.gif
    913.2 KB · Views: 156

iruhnman630

Hey guys just finished my first week- going well so far (thanks for all the advice everybody) but there’s one thing I’m still incredibly uneasy about- driving on the highway to and from my route...

As soon as I hit the highway the wind blows the mirrors in, and if I need to get off at my exit I can’t see a thing in the right lane. (Also my Exit is like a few hundred feet from an entrance where another highway merges on so I can’t really see the cars entering)

Any advice on how to deal with this other than just signaling and freaking praying for the best? Apparently they’ve been tightening the mirrors at night but that hasn’t helped stop them from blowing in immediately

That sucks when it happens. Even better when you lose both.

Use your turn signal and very slowly inch over ti the right lane. Use your camera as an extra mirror.

Once in the right lane stay there until you can exit the highway.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
1/2 inch wrench, man. You’re a big boy now, you need to plan for stuff like this. My daily bag has wrenches of various sizes, hammer, wire cutters, pliers, zip ties, spare grommets, flashlight, rail bolts, headache medicine, and a foot long sub.

RTCD

Always carry a small adjustable wrench to tighten your mirrors. Asking a mechanic to do this is rediculous.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
isn’t that what they get paid to do

I don’t ask them to go run my call tags
I get what you’re saying but :censored2: happens on the road. Better to be prepared they aren’t going to send out the mechanics on a road call for a loose mirror.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I carry a 1/2 inch socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet to tighten mine down. I also stay in the right lane anytime I'm on the expressway so I can pull over without worrying about any vehicles on my right.

rod

Retired 22 years
That sucks when it happens. Even better when you lose both.

Use your turn signal and very slowly inch over ti the right lane. Use your camera as an extra mirror.

Once in the right lane stay there until you can exit the highway.

Does a UPS backup camera actually work while in forward motion? I don't know--I never drove a UPS vehicle with a camera

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1/2 inch wrench, man. You’re a big boy now, you need to plan for stuff like this. My daily bag has wrenches of various sizes, hammer, wire cutters, pliers, zip ties, spare grommets, flashlight, rail bolts, headache medicine, and a foot long sub.
Yet I’ve managed to do this job for over 15 years and have never brought a bag of stuff with me.