Mirrors on the highway

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I leave mine turned on, it is a good tool
Me two. You can actually hear what the customers are saying about you as you flatten their stupid looking dog.
giphy-10.gif

Thegameisrigged

Hey guys just finished my first week- going well so far (thanks for all the advice everybody) but there’s one thing I’m still incredibly uneasy about- driving on the highway to and from my route...

As soon as I hit the highway the wind blows the mirrors in, and if I need to get off at my exit I can’t see a thing in the right lane. (Also my Exit is like a few hundred feet from an entrance where another highway merges on so I can’t really see the cars entering)

Any advice on how to deal with this other than just signaling and freaking praying for the best? Apparently they’ve been tightening the mirrors at night but that hasn’t helped stop them from blowing in immediately
When passing a car on your right, once you see it in your monitor, you can get over. Other than that, write it up and they’ll tighten it for you.

Ghost in the Darkness

You can push your driver side mirror back into position as you drive. Tighten the right side down as you shouldn't need to pull that in all that often unless you have a lot of tight single lane streets or rds (which I do).

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Hey guys just finished my first week- going well so far (thanks for all the advice everybody) but there’s one thing I’m still incredibly uneasy about- driving on the highway to and from my route...

As soon as I hit the highway the wind blows the mirrors in, and if I need to get off at my exit I can’t see a thing in the right lane. (Also my Exit is like a few hundred feet from an entrance where another highway merges on so I can’t really see the cars entering)

Any advice on how to deal with this other than just signaling and freaking praying for the best? Apparently they’ve been tightening the mirrors at night but that hasn’t helped stop them from blowing in immediately
Make sure you check this on your pre trip.

Not just the mirror brackets where they attach to the truck, but check that the mirrors are tight on the brackets as well..

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Write it up, Most of the time it’s the top pivot that loosens but the spring loaded pivot on the bottom wears out as well and may need to be changed.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You are a split driver so never write the truck up. Put some tape on the mirrors, good to go...

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yes the pivots do wear out but at highway speeds and on very windy days they can and do still blow back even with new ones.

True, I have had it happen to me when on the highway going to a road call. Best thing you can do is what you suggested earlier, tighten the hell out of the top pivot on the right one since you don’t fold that one in as much.

RetiredSafetyGuy

I wonder why UPS does that? There isn't an auto mfg. out there who's backup camera works in anything but reverse. (Or maybe there is -I don't know)

The cameras were installed in the early 90s. They are not designed as only backup cameras. They were a retro fit added in response to children riding on the bumper. West coast injury or fatality as I recall. That's why they are always on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The cameras were installed in the early 90s. They are not designed as only backup cameras. They were a retro fit added in response to children riding on the bumper. West coast injury or fatality as I recall. That's why they are always on.

I thought they were installed due to one of our drivers backing over and killing a 5 year old boy who was playing in his driveway.