Monday announcement?

P

pickup

I think buying DHL would cost a fortune and would be a mistake for our bottom line! Unless we buy them and take the accounts and shut them down.....

UPS FREIGHT is costing a fortune to operate. Lousy equiptment and drivers expecting to get paid what UPS'ers get....

Not sure if this would be good in a retracting market![/QUOTE

Earlier this year, new century transportation had the "opportunity" to buy jevic transportation (owner of new transportation had started jevic years earlier before selling it ) Instead, new century waited for jevic to go bankrupt , cherry picked the best drivers and the best accounts and left the garbage accounts for central transport to take. Ups can do the same here and to some degree is already grabbing some of the accounts and probably some of the dhl account reps.

old levi's

blank space
This is so true. I remember hearing customers asking their vendors "Can you FedEx it UPS?" I thought UPS made a major mistake in calling our overnight service "Next Day Air". Talk about boring. I suggested early on (I was younger then and actually thought the honchos might listen to a nobody. Kinda embarrassing to think about now.) a name change to "UPS Jet". To my thinking, it kinda rolled off the tongue a little easier, and conveyed a sense of speed and urgency. "Send it UPS Jet!" As usual, I was ignored. :sad-little:

Once you name something and that name becomes accepted, you own it.
Xerox, Jello, Coke, Band-Aid, Kleenex, Q-Tip. That's what FedEx has become.
Be aware of how many times it's also used as a verb.

Next Day Air is too generic. For example : FedEx is next day air, but Next Day Air is not FedEx. The term FedEx stands alone.

Hey Leftinbuilding, back in the day when people would scrawl the address across the pkg. with pencil, pen, marker, or crayon, I told one of the big dogs that ups should go to a standard label. He laughed at the idea.

Whatever

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The thing most people are forgetting is that these businesses and accounts went to DHL for a reason. Price is a factor and that UPS didn't take care of them. The bigger we get the more we brush aside the little people. The strike hurt and with Fedex and USPS running on full steam at the moment, these people have other options.

BOTTOM LINE - Put Back Service In UPS

FAVREFAN

The thing most people are forgetting is that these businesses and accounts went to DHL for a reason. Price is a factor and that UPS didn't take care of them. The bigger we get the more we brush aside the little people. The strike hurt and with Fedex and USPS running on full steam at the moment, these people have other options.

BOTTOM LINE - Put Back Service In UPS
Very true. Has anybody noticed the new USPS commercials stating they now have no fuel surcharge? We are raising rates 5.9%? Man, we are pushing it.

BrownSuit

Very true. Has anybody noticed the new USPS commercials stating they now have no fuel surcharge? We are raising rates 5.9%? Man, we are pushing it.

Wait until May . . . This past year the post office received authority from Congress to raise rates in line with inflation. Expect a rather significant rate increase.

Also, the post office is operating at a net loss right now, while UPS is still making money (we'll find out on Thursday exactly how much).

Hi all,
In the UK we have a rumour going around that there’s going to be a big announcement soon.
I have also been talking to some TNT drivers they also have a rumour that there’s going to be a big announcement soon.
We have also heard the top brass from the states are coming over soon.
Could the big announcement be that UPS is going to buy TNT?

Channahon

UPS To Make Announcement on Cutting-Edge Alternative-Fuel Vehicle

2008-10-22 12:48 ET - News Release Company Will Join EPA, Eaton, Navistar To Make Announcement

Company Website: http://www.pressroom.ups.com
-- (Business Wire)
UPS (NYSE: UPS)
WHAT:
UPS will make an important announcement regarding its alternative-fuel vehicle fleet in a special news conference on Monday, Oct. 27, in Atlanta's Centennial Olympic Park. The announcement will showcase a unique public-private partnership between UPS, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Eaton Corp. and Navistar. Senior executives will be on hand, including David Abney, UPS chief operating officer, and Alexander Cutler, chairman and CEO of Eaton.
After the news conference, attendees will have the opportunity to literally "peek under the hood" of one of UPS's latest and most cutting-edge alternative-fuel delivery vehicles.

WHEN:
Monday, Oct. 27, 2008 2 p.m. EDT

WHERE:
Centennial Olympic Park 265 Park Ave. West N.W. Atlanta, GA, 30313-1591

WHO:
-- David Abney, Chief Operating Officer, UPS -- Chris Grundler, Deputy Director, Office of Transportation and Air Quality, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency -- Sandy Cutler, Chief Executive Officer, Eaton Corporation -- Steve Guilluame, General Manager, Medium Trucks, Navistar

VISUALS:
-- Cutting-edge alternative-fuel vehicle will be on display. -- Top executives from UPS, the EPA, Eaton and Navistar participating in a moderated discussion about the advancement and impact of the latest alternative-fuel technology on commercial delivery fleets.

sendagain

If you could get a vehicle to run on driver's sweat, than you'd have something. Most of these new hybrid vehicles are more costly to make than a standard gas burning vehicle. With fuel costs now dropping like a rock, where is the incentive to invest in vehicles that will just cost you more money? The bottom line is profit, not making friends with environmentalists.

browniehound

Did any of you all get your new delivery notices today? We had to turn in all the old ones and they actually went through my truck and took any old notice's I had there.

Why does UPS continue to change the info-notice to make them progressively more difficult for our customers to understand?

Three versions of the info-notice prior to this one was very straight forward in my opinion. The simple message written on these small notices was still difficult for our customers to comprehend.

For example, the driver would check the box "the UPS driver requires a signature in person" and our customers would still sign the back of the notice expecting to get the package left. In other cases, the driver would leave a note at attempt 1 and 2 with the C.O.D. amount and shipper information and the consignee still asks for the C.O.D. information on the 3rd attempt when he finally realizes its his last chance to pay for it.

With this knowledge in hand, UPS makes the info-notices more ambiguous than ever.

First UPS makes them larger by adding spanish to them. Was it really necessary to print spanish on the info-notices?

I can count to 10 in spanish and thats about it. I would still be able to decipher an info-notice written 100% in spanish and what I needed to do to get my package. I think UPS needs to drop the spanish wrtiting on the info-notices.

I live near a large korean population and very little hispanics, should korean be written on our info notices too? Where do we stop? We speak ENGLISH in this country, the notices should be written in ENGLISH ONLY. GOOD GRIEF.

On top of all this, they twisted the words in a way that its not clear which is the "sig. req. IN PERSON" box is and which box the "signed del-notice" is acceptable TO THE DRIVER?

Why can't UPS leave well enough alone???

Channahon

Most of these new hybrid vehicles are more costly to make than a standard gas burning vehicle. With fuel costs now dropping like a rock, where is the incentive to invest in vehicles that will just cost you more money? The bottom line is profit, not making friends with environmentalists.

There is a reason for alternative fuel solutions, namely, to not have the US dependent on foreign countries for fuel as we know it today.

Johney

Why does UPS continue to change the info-notice to make them progressively more difficult for our customers to understand?

Three versions of the info-notice prior to this one was very straight forward in my opinion. The simple message written on these small notices was still difficult for our customers to comprehend.

For example, the driver would check the box "the UPS driver requires a signature in person" and our customers would still sign the back of the notice expecting to get the package left. In other cases, the driver would leave a note at attempt 1 and 2 with the C.O.D. amount and shipper information and the consignee still asks for the C.O.D. information on the 3rd attempt when he finally realizes its his last chance to pay for it.

With this knowledge in hand, UPS makes the info-notices more ambiguous than ever.

First UPS makes them larger by adding spanish to them. Was it really necessary to print spanish on the info-notices?

I can count to 10 in spanish and thats about it. I would still be able to decipher an info-notice written 100% in spanish and what I needed to do to get my package. I think UPS needs to drop the spanish wrtiting on the info-notices.

I live near a large korean population and very little hispanics, should korean be written on our info notices too? Where do we stop? We speak ENGLISH in this country, the notices should be written in ENGLISH ONLY. GOOD GRIEF.

On top of all this, they twisted the words in a way that its not clear which is the "sig. req. IN PERSON" box is and which box the "signed del-notice" is acceptable TO THE DRIVER?

Why can't UPS leave well enough alone???
We found out monday that it seems to be only south Florida and New York that are only doing the return after 3rd attempt ground.HUH???? We got rid of the spanish delivery notices about 2 months ago and went to one simular to the ones before that(if that makes sense). Now they got rid of those and have the one stating(on the back) your pkg will be returned after the 3rd attempt. The new notices seem to be a little confusing unless you read them closely.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We found out monday that it seems to be only south Florida and New York that are only doing the return after 3rd attempt ground.HUH???? We got rid of the spanish delivery notices about 2 months ago and went to one simular to the ones before that(if that makes sense). Now they got rid of those and have the one stating(on the back) your pkg will be returned after the 3rd attempt. The new notices seem to be a little confusing unless you read them closely.

Wow, that's interesting. Maybe we're just the testing area to see how well this works.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve was this the same for you guys also? I wonder what they did with all the old delivery notices? Alot were still new:whatever:Maybe sent them to ctr's not on this program?

Don't know, but they did collect em all. They never said it was only FL and NY. I mean what do these two places have in common? LOL Told Derek you were asking about him, hardly see Layne, he's lost in PSL somewhere.