My First Day: LOL

sx2700

Banned
This isn't the holy grail, people; it's UPS.

You're really going to stir up the hornet's nest with comments like that. There are plenty of people here that believe UPS is the end all of jobs. Yet most of the people where I'm at are miserable and 'bitch and moan' endlessly. If you've really only been here for 2 days and you think it's bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

You're really going to stir up the hornet's nest with comments like that. There are plenty of people here that believe UPS is the end all of jobs. Yet most of the people where I'm at are miserable and 'bitch and moan' endlessly. If you've really only been here for 2 days and you think it's bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

SX, I understand that everyone's going to have their own perspective about their job in relation to their own life, where they are, where they've come from, and where they want to go. This is an innernet forum, yah? People will get on me regardless of what I write.

I'm sure I've made clear that I'm not going to sacrifice my life and limb for $9/hr and no bennies. I'm a hard worker, but not an irrational one. If working at UPS does prove to require "irrationality" as a personality trait, then sure, I'd have no qualms or regrets about leaving a ridiculous situation for a better one. Like I wrote in my first post, maybe I should have known better about UPS after lurking here...but sometimes you gotta see things for yourself, right?

"Bitch and moan" is relative too, isn't it? For me, "bitching and moaning" consists of requesting proper training BEFORE I start working, so that I can be successful in completing a task safely. The whole sink-or-swim methodology is about 50 years ago, and definitely not appropriate for such a respectable company.

If the reactionary posts here are serving to say "get out now, because you're too RATIONAL for UPS", then I may be able to agree with that. ;)

Like I wrote in my first post, maybe I should have known better about UPS after lurking here...but sometimes you gotta see things for yourself, right?
Yup. They're basically three kind of people in the world. Those that learn from being told, those that learn from watching and those that have to piss on the electric fence themselves.

Yup. They're basically three kind of people in the world. Those that learn from being told, those that learn from watching and those that have to piss on the electric fence themselves.

Hahaha, well played. :funny: If I'd only believe what I read, I'd be so much better off. Good luck on your hurricane!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I haven't read him bitching and moaning.

I believe that inexperienced, unknowing readers can unintentionally extract feelings as such through metamorphisis of conveyed thoughts. This occurs all-too-often in reading forums, blogs etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a valuable thread that definitly reveals UPS as an unsafe work environment for an unknown portion of new-hires and though typically the large buildings are known for their saftey spin, in this case it isn't the case!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. All I ask for is proper preparation and instruction by the people who promised me such as conditions of my employment. It's tough to be successful when you aren't given the means, would you agree?

If you plan on making UPS a career, you would do well to remember one thing; UPS management doesnt always do a very good job of keeping their promises. The nice part about being in a union is that you have a remedy for such situations.

New Englander

In all honesty. What do you want?

You mentioned you had one truck to load. Did you want a supervisor hovering over you to see if you could actually read?
With just one truck you must of had times where you were just standing there waiting for a package with your truck number to come down the belt.

I don't know....we have a safety chair person who is a driver. In our state we have Rookie camp where all new hires meet up with him for 10 - 20 minutes prior to their shift. ESPECIALLY drivers but part timers as well.

This is the type of training we have these days. It's no wonder that the loads are so messed up. Little things that we used to take for granted are now none existent, such as all packages of the sames address loaded together, tight loads on the shelves, bulk stops loaded in the floor under the sequence number where it would be on the shelf. Today we are lucky to get the packages put in the correct section. What am I thinking?, we're lucky to get them in the correct truck.

Silly, pay attention to your neighbor, watch what he/she is doing with the loads. He/she may not be doing it all correct but it's better than guessing.

sillyputty

I remember when they used to make us watch the videos once a year...with the packages all labels up and one at a time on a belt, the "actors" smiling, picking up the package and leisurely placing it where it belongs- full Cornerstone training in place, 5 keys to this and 8 keys to that...HABITS, etc. I haven't been asked to watch a video in at least 4 years now, but we do have to fill out out safety sheets once a month.

"What methods does your supervisor enforce?"

Ha!

I have the phrases/terms memorized though... "Straps and bands will cut your hands" "Buddy up on bulk!" "Objects in Powerzone"

Does everyone do the 5 keys to lifting and lowering and 8 keys to prevent slips and falls now instead of HABITS? HABITS was so much easier to remember. There are no good acronyms for the keys...

UPS Lifer

Haha, I understand what you both are getting at. ;) Just because I'm currently a package handler, doesn't mean I necessarily plan on being one for long, right?

In this amazing country, we are granted the power to choose our own destiny to whatever extent our personal situations and character allow. Indeed, the notion is what our collective American elders and leaders gave up (or are giving up) a great chunk or all of their lives for.

I intend to choose my own destiny as far as I am allowed by fair work and personal drive.

Does this explanation satisfy ye?

I think you have potential as a community organizer!! Chicago is looking for one!:thumbsup:

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Does everyone do the 5 keys to lifting and lowering and 8 keys to prevent slips and falls now instead of HABITS? HABITS was so much easier to remember. There are no good acronyms for the keys...

hmmmm. in my building, we have 8 steps to lifting and lowering and only 5 keys to slips and falls.........

Whats the use in more training if you wont pay attention?

Last edited:

atatbl

hmmmm. in my building, we have 8 steps to lifting and lowering and only 5 keys to slips and falls.........

Whats the use in more training if you wont pay attention?

You should consider the fact that you are the only person posting on this forum that is not consuming alcohol.

Or, at least that is my assumption since you didn't understand his typo.

Or wait........ am I the only one drinking?

Hope I remember to figure that out tomorrow.....

sillyputty

oops...other way around then. They made our monthly sheets easier so we just have to fill in blanks. And the answers are posted above where we turn them in. I still liked HABITS better.

drewed

Shankman
god i hated habits that :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: was stupid.
it had some useful info but not really methods orientated
as for the acronyms i have them for both of them on my comp at work ill have to get them for you guys

AND its the 1000 post of drewed! shanazzy ehh?