My First Day: LOL

Im still waiting for the training video to come out on how to correctly load a trailer.

My training lasted a whole work week which also involved 2 days loading with a trainer. We watched about 6 different videos including some showing you how to load air containers. We don't even have those here. And yes the videos are a joke. The Packages leave my HAND and fly TO the SURFACE of the wall. Usually.

iowa boy

My training lasted a whole work week which also involved 2 days loading with a trainer. We watched about 6 different videos including some showing you how to load air containers. We don't even have those here. And yes the videos are a joke. The Packages leave my HAND and fly TO the SURFACE of the wall. Usually.
wow, i had two days with a sup and that was it. I have yet to see a video on how to load a trailer or air can. gotta love ups!!!!!!:happy-very:

drewed

Shankman
our training is 2 weeks (20 hrs each week) 1 week is spend doing certs and classroom training the second is hands on. Then when they get to their work area (well atleast on my sort) they load for me for a day, then theyre put with a senior hourly for a week or 2

sillyputty

Training in my building... Day 1- watch a few videos, sign your life away in paperwork... possibly load. Day 2... maybe finish up with videos, for sure load. I remember doing cornerstone training but not how long it took.

When I started I think I had a supervisor with me for a few days, then got tossed in with one of the good loaders to learn from him. I know I only had to "work" an hour or so a night for the first week or so. Then I never knew if 30 days to seniority meant 30 calender days or 30 working days and I had no idea how I was doing, so I figured I'd just keep showing up until someone told me not to. I didn't know how I could possibly make my pieces per hour when I was being moved from one trailer to the next all the time. But here I am- still there. Nine years this coming Sunday.

These days- four center managers later- I don't really think they train at all. The wall building I see in the back is absolutely atrocious. Columns. Not even tight ones but loosely tossed in columns. We used to get photos sent to us from other buildings when things were just a little bit sloppy- I don't know how they let it go as it is. And I don't know how these people don't have their walls collapse on them.

UPS Lifer

The Pacific Region has a pretty standard training program for hub employees - This may or may not include local sort or preload... depends on the area.

I was the Ontario Air Hub Training Mgr for a year. 2nd best assignment I had! Our employees got 1 week of classroom with 1 hour a day loading experience and the next week they were with a trainer every day. I had over 35 training supervisors with 2 full timers that split up 6 different sorts. After 2 weeks every new hire was followed up with counts and critique daily for the new hire period. We had weekly/monthly department meetings to talk about their progress. I had daily meetings with the FT sups charting progress and target employees. I also had mtgs with each operation mgmt team daily dealing to discuss the hiring needs and concern employees. This hub around 1200 employees pre-peak conditions. We tailored the training for the employees with concerns.

Each employee had a training packet with all the necessary training documentation and progress charts.

The hub had some of the best retention numbers in the Region. At the time, I was there it cost approx $4000 to train one employee. The training was more extensive than regular ground hub training because each employee was certified air handler as well.

Every month I held a department meeting and pulled all the trainers out of their operation for a training, motivation and recognition session. My full time sups and I would pick a supervisor of the month for each operation and then we would have a department SOM from those folks.

This is the way training should be done in all operations, all the time.

DS

Fenderbender
Lifer,its not like that anymore.
When the dispatch allowance sheet prints out,
theres often no time for training/safety crap.
Git er done.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Does everyone do the 5 keys to lifting and lowering and 8 keys to prevent slips and falls now instead of HABITS? HABITS was so much easier to remember. There are no good acronyms for the keys...

I have all that drivel on a little laminated 3x5 card. When I get called into the "safety zone" for my weekly acronym regurgitation, I just pull out my little card and spoon-feed it all back to my supervisor in a monotone. It doesnt matter to him that I am blatantly cheating by using a card....he gets to listen to the buzzwords and wallow in that warm, fuzzy feeling of safety like a pig in slop.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer, I don't remeber, did you ever say how long you have been retired?
I agree with DS. In my world (and I'm not trying to be a smarta$$) there is no such thing as training.

I started as preload in May 05 and all I got was the safety video, a 5 min (if that) orientation on load charts. Then I was thrown to the wolves. For months my docks were a disaster. I loaded my trucks when everyone else was taking their break. We have one belt that has 17 rtes, half on each side of the belt. Let me digress a second. I say 'belt' but when I was preloading we didn't have an automated belt. We had rollers and all the work was manual labor. I was bounced around from the middle of the belt to the end and then back again, loading three trucks. Of my 3 drivers 2 of them were laid back and didn't make a big deal (generally) about the loads. The 3rd driver was a real bastard to load for but he taught me the most about loading.

The lead preloader/splitter was on my side of the belt. He was a bastard to work next to. He knocked me on my :censored2: several times by pushing pkgs 'past' me as I was trying to pull mine off the belt. We had more than a few words on the belt. Now we are best of friends and I dearly love getting to bid on his rtes. He knows what he does. He's been doing it for along time.

And this doesn't even cover driving. That's a whole different story. Same wolves though.:whiteflag:

rod

Retired 22 years
I have all that drivel on a little laminated 3x5 card. When I get called into the "safety zone" for my weekly acronym regurgitation, I just pull out my little card and spoon-feed it all back to my supervisor in a monotone. It doesnt matter to him that I am blatantly cheating by using a card....he gets to listen to the buzzwords and wallow in that warm, fuzzy feeling of safety like a pig in slop.

This is so funny and true. When we were sheeting stops on paper we used to have to take a written test on recording different kinds of stops. I got so tired of the same test over and over again that I sheeted all the correct answers down ( they would give you the correct answers after taking this half hour test) using about 8 or 10 carbon sheets. After that I would just goof off and hand in a carbon copy of the test with the correct answers and nothing was ever said about it. :wink2:

UPS Lifer

Dill,
I have been retired since April of 2007. The Pacific Region at the time, was only California. The boundary changed to re-include Oregon and Washington. The Arizona District was part of the Pacific Region years ago but not recently. I think it is in the Southwest Region.

Cornerstone training is still done in my old district's hubs; and the air training is a security regulation monitored by the FAA so I am sure that training is still done for any operation connected with a ramp or air operation.

To reduce turn-over and increase retention, certain hubs were targeted across the country after the '97 strike. Training guidelines were put in place to stop the "bleeding" and improve quality, performance retain employees for a minimum of one year and preferably two years! The cost savings and quality improvement proved successful. Each district or region could decide to expand the process if desired. The Pacific Region decided to expand the process and put a manager in place to ensure compliance with the recommended steps.

So - not all areas have the same training. I bring it up because you folks should continue to fight for this training process. It is essential to your success and the company. The better trained you are the easier your job is and you and your customers benefit. .... more importantly the new folks.

This process is more efficient and cost effective in a large hub with multiple centers. Smaller buildings will have a tougher time coordinating this type of training. BUT - depending on your HR department, it can be coordinatde

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer, I didn't realise you had been retired such a short time.

I understand the necessity for more training in air facilities, especially after 9/11. I liked your statement, ".......The better trained you are the easier your job is and you and your customers benefit. .... more importantly the new folks."

Your operation sounds like it was and may still be very well ran. I just don't understand why this organization is not company wide. My personal goal (as far as my job goes) is my safety first and foremost and then the care of my customers. I would think that my goals would be the same as UPS goals. It just seems that UPS's goals are ALL about money and not so much about it's employees or its customers.

Brownnblue

I remember when they used to make us watch the videos once a year...with the packages all labels up and one at a time on a belt, the "actors" smiling, picking up the package and leisurely placing it where it belongs- full Cornerstone training in place, 5 keys to this and 8 keys to that...HABITS, etc. I haven't been asked to watch a video in at least 4 years now, but we do have to fill out out safety sheets once a month.

"What methods does your supervisor enforce?"

Ha!

I have the phrases/terms memorized though... "Straps and bands will cut your hands" "Buddy up on bulk!" "Objects in Powerzone"

Does everyone do the 5 keys to lifting and lowering and 8 keys to prevent slips and falls now instead of HABITS? HABITS was so much easier to remember. There are no good acronyms for the keys...

How about this: How does UPS management treat its hourly employees

With
Excessive
Levels of
Disrespect and
Malice

UPS Lifer

It sure seems that way,doesnt it.

I have to agree with this also.... My position as training manager was added because of the high turn-over rate and I my operation was in the top 5 in the region for a long period of time. The position was not is the budget and the district manager had to approve it.

As soon as things got tight (again!), they eliminated the position and made each manager in each of the operations responsible for their own training.

You know what happens in a case like that... the managers do not have time to spend because some managers do not see the big picture.

I looked at my operation like I was the coach and my goal was to get the most talented folks and keep them. I also knew that I needed to have depth in all key positions so we cross trained in non-mgmt and supervisory positions all the time. When things went sour we had people who could step up and put out the little fires as they started. My trainers were used in other areas (either being cross trained or cross training employees) rather than constantly training new hires because the turn-over was low.

When I moved on to my final position, they took about eight supervisors away from the operation and placed them in other operations to improve the overall building. 4 of my supervisors were promoted to FT and were also imbedded into other operations in the building.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer, All the cross training seems like an easier task to accomplish in a larger center than a small one like ours. There is more room for lateral movement. In our center the company relies on 1,2 or 3 people to be responsible for all areas, if there is a failure in any one area the whole center suffers.

It is very hard to get overly excited about what the company wants when they have little regard for what we need, especially safety and training.