My UPS hub is going on strike.

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
We're so divided in what we want that I'm starting to have no hope for negotiations.

Longer term employees want H&W and Pension

RPCDs want more money and no 6 day work weeks/PVDs

22.4s want no more 22.4s and same protection as RPCDs

Long term Part timers wants more full time inside jobs and a catch up raise

Regular part timers want a huge pay increase.

Neither one really cares about the others wants except for a minority in each group when it comes to push and shove so we'll see what happens.
Your list looks good to me let’s just do those things real quick.

1643739328349.jpeg

Yolo

RPCD here. I don't give a rats ass about PVDs. They are seasonal employees that work for 5-6 weeks a year. I want to maintain our benefits and strengthen our pension.

I’m a part time package handler at my local hub. I was signed on for $21/hr and my 9 month waiting period for benefits will be up in march. Last Wednesday my supervisor told us that a higher up wanted to talk to us (not sure if from union or corporate honestly) and to shut off the belt and meet by trailer 106. When we’re all gathered there the guy tells us that the week PRIOR our wages were lowered from $21/hr to $16.10/hr. Not only did UPS not contact anyone in any way to notify us of the change, but the cities minimum wage raised to $16.20 the first of this month and they’re paying us $16.10. The guy said that they had organized a protest the next day from 7am-10am. He also said that they filed a grievance, and if they don’t restore the wages then we will “consider it a strikeable offense.” I wasn’t able to go to the protest but I know that by the end of the day no progress was made and about 100 people were there. Me and one other loader checked upsers.com and it said our rates were $17.50, but two other coworkers’ paystubs did indeed say $16.10. Has this happened to anyone else before? Are we gonna go on strike now? What’s gonna happen? Am I gonna have to find another job?
Call your union hall about the strike... your local business agent would not have been INSIDE your building telling you to go on strike (they need mngmt present to be in building) so they need to be made aware. Ask your steward for a contract and to show you the pay. Grieve all pay discrepancies. The only time they would decrease your pay is possibly if you were hired on as seasonal But then got made permanent. After 9 months they are not allowed to change your pay. Again call the union hall have your business agent contact ups labor. We just got a center manager suspended then fired for doing that.

msbusterbrown

Buster: a person that stops or prevents something
The contract I signed onto says I’ll be making $21 an hour

Your hiring letter you mean? That’s not a ‘contract’ but you can possibly use that as evidence in a grievance. They can’t pay you less than the contract allows and then there are additional provisions for when the employer increases wages above contractual minimums written (whether they are allowed to ‘take that away or not). Law prevails over contract so if your minimum wage reduced under local minimum wage or if they decreased it without notifying you and made it retroactive, that is against the law. Article 8 section 2, If your union has deemed this a strikeable offense and you are on strike legitimately you should be getting paid as usual on strike, look up and read your labor laws, federal and state.