Negotiating Paused

Thebrownblob

That's not even lowball numbers. That's a complete slap in the face to all of us
I’m not really worried about it until we get into crunch time if they’re still holding out, which I don’t think they will be and I’ll be a little more upset, I think O’Brien made the company very aware that’s not acceptable.

Fenris

If Teamsters and UPS have come to tentative agreements on everything but economics, couldn't UPS deny us our jobs back post strike?
Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement.

If replacement workers were hired, the cant be forced to be displaced by returning strikers like is the case with a ULP strike, Returning strikers would be returned when jobs were available.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement.

If replacement workers were hired, the cant be forced to be displaced by returning strikers like is the case with a ULP strike, Returning strikers would be returned when jobs were available.
Two different answers

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The answer is essentially no, replacement workers and lockouts are complicated, and are not going to happen.
Seems like it'd be an easy way for the Co. to essentially drop the union.
"Okay here you go guys, all your demand with the exception of fair raises. Ohhh, unfair wage strike? Bring in the scabs, sorry guys bye bye"

Sixth Punch Sense

Those covid years pissed me off more than any contract I have been through (4 of them)

The constant press releases how UPS cared for our wellbeing. The extraordinary steps they were taking to protect us all.

Payback is a bitch.
Absolutely. I remember delivery packages at 10 at night in a rental with zero area knowledge. Only to come back to the building and told I have 3 hours of availability on Saturday and need to show up.