Negotiations Update (April 19, 2013)

Hoaxster nailed it. The goal of UPS is to divide the full timers and part timers....and its working! The full timers want more and more...$33 an hour $75k a yr they could care less about their fellow part time teamster brother yet want to complain about their load quality everyday. It is time for full timers and the union to look at the big picture...part timers scraping for hours and a decent hourly wage. No wonder most of them dont want to join the union or dont like the union, they feel they are not get represented like full timers. We are all in this together.....if union brothers dont understand this their will sooon be NO such thing as teamsters! Wake up brothers and sisters!
I'm a Ft and it's time to take care of are Pt brother's and sister's. Even if we don't get raises, Ft worker's should help their Pt workers if not quality in the work place is going to be sheet. Let's make this better. p.s vote no!!

balland chain

Here in the south we already have 20 dollar copays... Dont think the central states plan is good for us..It is horrible insurance..benefits usually decrease every year already.. I have been with the central states plan since 86, believe me, it is bad....this is not the answer we need for our healthcare...especially if they force us to pay even one cent,,,

balland chain

I will never understand why there is not uniform health and pensions... We down south in the central states plan get 3K after 30 years of service, too many times when I meet up with another feeder driver from up north, they tell me that they get 1000 to 2000 more after the same number of years.. Our local and Washington really should make it fair for all with the same amount for all UPSers regardless of where they are from.. it is just not fair...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I for one am sick and tired of hearing how everyone has a different/better healthcare plans or retirements!! What makes all of you feel like you are more deserving than your fellow union members!! Do we not all put our pants on the same way? Do you all not shoulder the work load together? When it is all over, you may get to keep your Cadillac plan, but will be a part of this union crumbling. Yes this is the first time everyone has had a smart phone in their hands during a contract negotiation. I am willing to strike. But if the only reason to vote no is you keeping your company plan..... You can wish in one hand.

if you use this example, why do some retirees draw almost double what other retirees draw? do we not all work for the same company doing the same work?

I believe some places deserve bigger pensions. Cost of living is different every where.

balland chain

Wel that would be the case if they stayed in that particular state after retirement, what is to say if they move to Florida to retire and get 1000-2000 more per month simply because they worked in NY,PA,VA,etc..that just does not seem fair...

Brownslave688

I think it's because ups is a dement that the company plan is killing their credit rating with its liability. They need it off their books for accounting reasons. I want my company to remain very profitable forever so that my livelyhood remains good. This is indeed a concession but I'm banking that UPS will let us strike over this. If we can see a raise in the pension and 65cent raises and we all go into one healthcare fund with good harassment language and a limit on surepost wouldn't this be a fair deal. If we do strike and I do think big brown would let us over this shouldn't we compromise a little. Lets both save some face. We strike and fedex gets a foothold that we never come out of. Lets all get fat together just not obese.

Far cry from your hall is a a badass and will get us the best contract ever posts of earlier.

65 cent raise so u want to be able to buy less goods over the life of this contract than the previous one?

And who cares about a freaking pension increase all your doing is putting your money in someone else's hands.

Brownslave688

Wel that would be the case if they stayed in that particular state after retirement, what is to say if they move to Florida to retire and get 1000-2000 more per month simply because they worked in NY,PA,VA,etc..that just does not seem fair...

Then you chose to move there.

This is why I'm against pension increases in general. Your giving someone else control of the money you worked hard for. Give me a raise equal to the pension contributions a d ill opt out in a heartbeat.

LagunaBrown

Stop trying to peek through keyholes and guess what is gonna happen... People are saying they are gonna vote no on something they have not even read yet..... LOL thats really intellegent Chicken Little but I will wait till they are done to speculate (and yes I have money saved just in case). Just remember TDU does not have a seat at the big boy table so believe nothing you hear and only half what you see from them.

Last edited:

brostalss

In order to get quality work from PT workers, UPS first needs to hire quality people. I question how some of these PT workers even get out of bed in the morning.

brown_trousers

This is why I'm against pension increases in general. Your giving someone else control of the money you worked hard for. Give me a raise equal to the pension contributions a d ill opt out in a heartbeat.

Amen. Although the pension is nice to have. I would much rather get that money in my paycheck so I can choose my own methods of retirement investment.

Far cry from your hall is a a badass and will get us the best contract ever posts of earlier.

65 cent raise so u want to be able to buy less goods over the life of this contract than the previous one?

And who cares about a freaking pension increase all your doing is putting your money in someone else's hands.
I know you are a financial guru and a very hardcore union man with ton of years experience at ups and in the teamster union!!!!!!! LOL You have it all figured out. Where I'm from though hall is a real bad mother trucker. He's got infinite experience negotiating with ups and a track record of good contracts. Everything doesn't always stay the same and we do have to evolve with the times. Pricing ourselves out of the equation is folish. Our company need to remain very profitable for all out sake in the future. Just because you would rather not have a pension as apposed to a 401k doesn't mean that this is the cure all. There are a large majority of people who would mismanage this form of retirement and would be forced to work forever.

You keep being an armchair quarterback and having a ton of beers on Friday night and realizing you could do it so much better than hall. This will get you there right?? Good luck brother. I'm putting my money on hall though.

pretender

I think it's because ups is a dement that the company plan is killing their credit rating with its liability. They need it off their books for accounting reasons. I want my company to remain very profitable forever so that my livelyhood remains good. This is indeed a concession but I'm banking that UPS will let us strike over this. If we can see a raise in the pension and 65cent raises and we all go into one healthcare fund with good harassment language and a limit on surepost wouldn't this be a fair deal. If we do strike and I do think big brown would let us over this shouldn't we compromise a little. Lets both save some face. We strike and fedex gets a foothold that we never come out of. Lets all get fat together just not obese.

I am not sure that I disagree with you...

It is nice to be able to get information on a forum such as this. The problem is, there is a lot of misinformation also: I also read that the union proposed to take over healthcare--That would seem to be more than a concession. To me, a concession would be to accept 20/40/80 and stay in the company plan. I would rather have a fixed cost for the next 5 years, and have a reasonable idea of out of pocket expenses, rather than "free' insurance and no idea what out of pocket expenses will be. It could be much more expensive in the long run. I have no problem with a $20 copay to see the doctor. It is the claim denials and 20% copay for prescriptions that scares me.

As I said in my original post, it is one thing to move all UPSers into one union plan, but I don't want someone else to vote that way while keeping their superior plan...

pretender

I will never understand why there is not uniform health and pensions... We down south in the central states plan get 3K after 30 years of service, too many times when I meet up with another feeder driver from up north, they tell me that they get 1000 to 2000 more after the same number of years.. Our local and Washington really should make it fair for all with the same amount for all UPSers regardless of where they are from.. it is just not fair...

It is one of the great ironies of union membership--Of course we should all enjoy the same benefits as our "brothers and sisters". If I am not mistaken, UPS makes equal contributions for everyone, so the funds that are in better shape should be willing to share with us who are less fortunate. The bottom line is that, when it comes down to it, everyone is out for themselves. A perfect example would be the part timers who complain about drivers not looking out for them: If UPS proposed giving a PT wage increase of $5 per hour in exchange for the drivers making a contribution to healthcare, does anyone actually believe they would turn it down because it would not be fair to their full time brothers and sisters?

I am not dissing part timers or union members--I was both. I am just sayin...

pretender

If I had been given raises equal to pension contributions, along with the money I paid into Social Security, I would not even by interested in healthcare changes. I would just buy my own.

rudy5150

Do u really think UPS has high quality workers pounding down the door with work applications ???? haha they start at $8.50 an hour backbreaking work. Would you get out of bad at 3 am for it? and be motivated especially after working a 2nd job?

upsset

OUR PENSION PLAN IS A DIRECT BENEFIT PLAN WITH A GUARANTEEd monthly payment. iT is administered by professional investors and managed by a board of trustees. This means that changes in investments, payouts, etc... have to be agreed on before they happen. NO RASH DECISIONS! I DDON'T KNOW ABOUT ANYONE ELSE BUT I CONSIDER THIS A LOT WISER THEN AN AMATEUR STEERING THE SHIP. I KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO RELY ON A 401 AS THERE PRIMARY RETIREMENT PLAN WHO ARE NOT RETIRING WHEN THEY HOPED TO AND ARE NOT SURE WHEN THEY CAN AFTER ALL THE VOLATILITY IN THE MARKETS.

Brownslave688

I am not sure that I disagree with you...

It is nice to be able to get information on a forum such as this. The problem is, there is a lot of misinformation also: I also read that the union proposed to take over healthcare--That would seem to be more than a concession. To me, a concession would be to accept 20/40/80 and stay in the company plan. I would rather have a fixed cost for the next 5 years, and have a reasonable idea of out of pocket expenses, rather than "free' insurance and no idea what out of pocket expenses will be. It could be much more expensive in the long run. I have no problem with a $20 copay to see the doctor. It is the claim denials and 20% copay for prescriptions that scares me.

As I said in my original post, it is one thing to move all UPSers into one union plan, but I don't want someone else to vote that way while keeping their superior plan...

The problem u have with putting healthcare in the unions hands is they can change it whenever they want. There is no contract language to hold them to anything.

Brownslave688

I know you are a financial guru and a very hardcore union man with ton of years experience at ups and in the teamster union!!!!!!! LOL You have it all figured out. Where I'm from though hall is a real bad mother trucker. He's got infinite experience negotiating with ups and a track record of good contracts. Everything doesn't always stay the same and we do have to evolve with the times. Pricing ourselves out of the equation is folish. Our company need to remain very profitable for all out sake in the future. Just because you would rather not have a pension as apposed to a 401k doesn't mean that this is the cure all. There are a large majority of people who would mismanage this form of retirement and would be forced to work forever.

You keep being an armchair quarterback and having a ton of beers on Friday night and realizing you could do it so much better than hall. This will get you there right?? Good luck brother. I'm putting my money on hall though.

Had zero beer last night. The problem I have is even though I haven't been at ups that long is when you go back and look at past contracts we have been giving concessions for years. All while ups continues to rake in massive profits. For anyone with ten or so years left these little concessions don't look too bad. For guys like me with 25-30 years left. Well keep it up and ups won't be such a great job when I retire.

As someone states earlier what's not being brought up enough is the future growth of online shopping. We couldn't handle all the volume even if we wanted to. Same for FedEx. There's plenty of room for two fish in this sea.

Volume will continue to go up. Ups will raise its prices every year. They will continue to ask more from you and I every year. All while likely increasing profits from year to year. How that equals time for concessions is beyond my tiny little brain I guess.

DOK

40% of employees are currently in UPS plans. It's those that they are looking to divert to the CS plan. I'm in local 251 and we have our own plan run by our local. There are board members from the local and other companies too. We all have the exact same benefit plan as our local executive board members. Works out well that way.

The actual numbers are 47% of full timers and 90% of part timers are presently in the ups plan. Are you that dumb??!!
Just returning the jab, stink. I owed you;-)