Negotiations Update (April 19, 2013)

balland chain

Just curious, what kind of Insurance are the Teamsters in Washington, DC have ?? Since we are being left in the dark on some issues would emailing them put the fire under their ass?

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I'm a known Man from the company and the international. It's no big deal. Come on

You want to know what local he's from? Why so many post on that subject? No posts about what is being negotiated on our behalf? Your asking the wrong questions man.

pretender

Just a few comments here....

1) Harassment will always exist in one form or another....no amount of contract language regardless of how well it is written will ever be enforced. There is no such thing as.......... "good harassment language".

2) SurePost - Currently 1/3 of of our volume (smalls 10 lbs or less) is subject to SurePost weight and size limits.....meaning that we could stand to lose even more volume to SurePost... We currently have language against subcontracting our work.......regardless....SurePost was still put in place with absolutely no issues from our Union. ...........almost as good as our 22.3 language.....

3) If you really want UPS to remain profitable forever.....do you think it may be time to implement a two-tiered driver wage? The money saved by implementing the two-tier driver scale could be used to fund a non-concessionary health and welfare benefit package for all EXISTING UPS employees. Similar to how the part-timers wages were tiered years ago. This would go along with your comment..."shouldn't we compromise a little?"... (note: just provoking a little controversial thought here...)

4) As far as your comment.... "I want my company to remain very profitable forever so that my livelyhood remains good".... I believe that UPS was VERY profitable in 2012....to the tune of 4.5 Billion Dollars.....AFTER Creative Accounting........ I 100% agree that it is in all our best interest to help keep UPS profitable........HOWEVER...... at what point do we quit investing in our own lives to benefit the sole interests of "Wall Street"? IMHO.......I believe that the UPS Pie needs to be divided differently.....not necessarily in greater proportions.....In other words.....we can still remain "healthy"..... WITHOUT getting fat....as you mentioned in your post. CONCESSIONS on the other hand will only serve to feed the FAT CATS of Wall Street and Atlanta....

I agree. No matter what people may think about Upstate, I admired the fact that he did not waver on this issue. I expressed the same idea once, but just let it go, because of the overwhelming sentiment against it. This is where I think Dave's talent was squandered--If he had not been such a "dink" in other ways, he may have been able to persuade the undecided. Or at the very least, the people who agreed with him would have been more likely to speak up, rather than not wanting to be associated with him.

A two tiered wage with no changes to health and welfare would be a win/win. You could even offer profit sharing to the lower tiered drivers. A $25 per hour wage with profit sharing would still a highly desirable job.

pretender

In the process of rereading this statement, it occurred to me what the problem is. When hall states that the Company has indicated a willingness to move employees to Central States health and welfare, that infers that it was a Union proposal. It makes it seem like UPS is willing to think it over whether they want to give up responsibility for healthcare, when in reality, they would jump at the chance to offload it.

I agree. No matter what people may think about Upstate, I admired the fact that he did not waver on this issue. I expressed the same idea once, but just let it go, because of the overwhelming sentiment against it. This is where I think Dave's talent was squandered--If he had not been such a "dink" in other ways, he may have been able to persuade the undecided. Or at the very least, the people who agreed with him would have been more likely to speak up, rather than not wanting to be associated with him.

A two tiered wage with no changes to health and welfare would be a win/win. You could even offer profit sharing to the lower tiered drivers. A $25 per hour wage with profit sharing would still a highly desirable job.
In 1982 a PT job paying $8.00 an hour sounded pretty good also. Now less than mim. wage in some states. Heard this all before. Do not go for a two tier wage system unless you want to be like a new PTer making $8.50 working next to one making $31.75 an hour. No reason to give concessions on this contract.

IzzyTheNose

Had zero beer last night. The problem I have is even though I haven't been at ups that long is when you go back and look at past contracts we have been giving concessions for years. All while ups continues to rake in massive profits. For anyone with ten or so years left these little concessions don't look too bad. For guys like me with 25-30 years left. Well keep it up and ups won't be such a great job when I retire.

As someone states earlier what's not being brought up enough is the future growth of online shopping. We couldn't handle all the volume even if we wanted to. Same for FedEx. There's plenty of room for two fish in this sea.

Volume will continue to go up. Ups will raise its prices every year. They will continue to ask more from you and I every year. All while likely increasing profits from year to year. How that equals time for concessions is beyond my tiny little brain I guess.

This right here is what everyone needs to focus on. The success ($$$) UPS has found since 2007 is from the yield of OUR labor. Why should we make concessions when UPS is coming off a banner year where they profited in the BILLIONS? Why should our benefits DECREASE? Why should we pay ANYTHING more than we're paying now?

UPS gave Scott Davis a 75% raise in 2011. The COO and CFO also received raises of 72% and 49% respectively. All this, and the company's profits pouring in DESPITE the recession.

But WE have to make concessions? OUR benefits have to take a hit?

The company has sent a clear message to us. And it's that they don't value the employees that work for them, nor appreciate the work we do, or the hardships that the job entails.

What we're asking for isn't unfair. But make no bones about these string of proposals from UPS. They're absolutely UNFAIR.

balland chain

You hit the nail on the head with that post..The question should be thru these negations is WHY SHOULD WE !! Management get their bonus', and as you stated, the top brass took very good care of themselves... Why should we give, when they clearly did not...

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
How about more paid vacation time? I'll take 11 months without including holidays, sick days, and personal holidays. This way more part-timers can go full time. Simple huh!

[video=youtube;E9E4aooCEGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9E4aooCEGs[/video]

[video=youtube;FqVEvNocKTA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVEvNocKTA[/video]

balland chain

I feel WE as a union of workers at UPS ,, we should make sure ALL are treated fairly.. part-timers work their ass' off. Most of us have been there..just because we were fortunate enough to get a full time position we should never forget how hard those PT jobs are..they are grossly underpaid for the work they do daily...we need them and they need us to earn a paycheck .. it is time now to make sure they get their fair share.. Hopefully the negotiating committee will feel the same and step up to the plate for them...

purplesky

Hoaxster nailed it. The goal of UPS is to divide the full timers and part timers....and its working! The full timers want more and more...$33 an hour $75k a yr they could care less about their fellow part time teamster brother yet want to complain about their load quality everyday. It is time for full timers and the union to look at the big picture...part timers scraping for hours and a decent hourly wage. No wonder most of them dont want to join the union or dont like the union, they feel they are not get represented like full timers. We are all in this together.....if union brothers dont understand this their will sooon be NO such thing as teamsters! Wake up brothers and sisters!

I dont know any full timers who want to screw part timers? Have you spoken to Full timers in your BLDG?

If the contract is bad for part timers than VOTE NO. USE SOCIAL MEDIA AND GET PART TIMERS ONBOARD NATION WIDE TO MAKE SURE ALL UPSERS GET A FAIR DEAL.

The starting wage for part timers IS A FRICKING JOKE! :wink2: