Negotiations

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Why would college kids stay when they are going to college

Many moons ago..the part timers were making close to their full time counterparts. It changed back in 1982.

The college educated kids that stayed discovered that they could make the same and have better benefits than their selected majors.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Thanks Cronkite
I waited 7 1/2 or two then had a two-year progression. So basically 10 years to top scale.
them when you finally get on you don’t work everyday and get the crappy cut routes…fun times

Ptrunner

No doubt they need to bump up the part-time pay

The only problem is these part-timers many of them do not wish to go full timethwre
No doubt they need to bump up the part-time pay

The only problem is these part-timers many of them do not wish to go full time
In our building 22.3 jobs would take 20 years part time seniority to fill. Now starting last year it’s dwindled down to off the street because of how they do them now. Before it was easy job like small sort or clerking or janitorial and now it’s load/load or unload/load. I believe this is because they can’t keep part timers at those spots and this is ups new way of keeping staff.

We had 40 feeder drivers get laid off and their choice was either unload/unload in building or no pay at home. Most of them choose no pay at home. Most of them had barely one year of seniority.

Ptrunner

You would be surprised how many newer drivers aren’t even getting the hours in per year to make a full pension credit…because of all the days they are taking off…
Same in our building with 22.3 full timers 3/4 of them are not getting pension credit due to calling in or going home.

Thebrownblob

Thanks Cronkite

them when you finally get on you don’t work everyday and get the crappy cut routes…fun times
Well, I don’t know that that’s any different than it’s ever been, my first 2 1/2 years as a cover driver I spent until April in the building because I was laid off and then after that I was bounced around from route to route like a cheap floozy. But management never misunderstood that I wanted to work every day, and I was never asked to go home because they knew I would not. I was willing to go out and fail every route. They put me on blind L O L. And boy did I fail…. A lot.😂

Well, I don’t know that that’s any different than it’s ever been, my first 2 1/2 years as a cover driver I spent until April in the building because I was laid off and then after that I was bounced around from route to route like a cheap floozy. But management never misunderstood that I wanted to work every day, and I was never asked to go home because they knew I would not. I was willing to go out and fail every route. They put me on blind L O L. And boy did I fail…. A lot.😂
And you still do...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
True… all I was saying is that it was a long road to get into a “decent” pkg route…at least back when we started

Thebrownblob

True… all I was saying is that it was a long road to get into a “decent” pkg route…at least back when we started
Very true the younger people coming up today have their own struggles I am aware I don’t discount what they have to deal with, but I think some dismiss people who have already went through something similar to them.

Over70irregs

I think I’ve said this a few times as I have been involved in a few contract negotiations in the past couple years, so I have a little different perspective, More than money, the members involved in many of these contracts wanted more time off.
For reasons that I won’t say are good or bad, there has been a shift in the majority of the younger peoples value system. Some people call them lazy or unmotivated, and that is
Possibly the case in some instances.

But many of these people have watched their parents and grandparents struggle and strive and get very little out of their 30 and 40 year careers, so they value their time more than they value a job in the pile of money.
So to an 18 to 25 year old working 60 hours a week for any amount of money is very unattractive. It is what it is.
After seeing the mental abuse and time control they put out it’s no wonder they avoid driving. But every man/woman has to make their bed.

Thebrownblob

After seeing the mental abuse and time control they put out it’s no wonder they avoid driving. But every man/woman has to make their bed.
It’s always been said that delivery driving at UPS is not for everyone and that is true. For me I have always enjoyed their mental games because it’s a challenge for others. It’s a burden.

Thebrownblob

In my building when you have FT and PT in the same job extra work will go by building seniority.
How would you be in the same job at all? You literally make no sense you’re not a ground driver you shouldn’t even be delivering ground. And you certainly don’t have a right to any of the extra work. LOL.

PT Car Washer

How would you be in the same job at all? You literally make no sense you’re not a ground driver you shouldn’t even be delivering ground. And you certainly don’t have a right to any of the extra work. LOL.
I was talking about delivering NDA and the other PT air drivers. But then I was referring to 22.3 and PT in the preload or the Hub. People low on the seniority list don't always understand how it all works.

Thebrownblob

I was talking about delivering NDA and the other PT air drivers. But then I was referring to 22.3 and PT in the preload or the Hub. People low on the seniority list don't always understand how it all works.
If your air qualify, I would agree with you that it will go by seniority, I was talking about groundwork.