Negotiations

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You think "most" of the company's profits were generated by part time employees with less than 9 months of seniority?

Lol.

Operating Costs...Just study the Company's history dealing with any newly created Full Time positions. The prime objective has always been to have underpaid, temporary, no medical benefited and non vested part time employees in every position.

Wasted pension accrual years

Especially those vested part time years under the Central and Southern. Look how the West combines their part time and full time credit years

Usually I would say no but given all the hiring over the last 2 years for the fake pandemic…..it is very possible. But I see your point.

Look at the current quality of our newbies...None of them are thinking about hanging around to reach top scale or be vested in a pension plan..unless they are older or have a family, hiring college kids is next to impossible. The physical nature and work commitment associated with an entry level UPS job is simply not worth 20 bucks an hour for most, so much work out there that pays better and will not break down your body before retirement age or 25 years service.

Thebrownblob

How can that be when they make up the majority of the workforce, governed by a democratic contract ratification process?

Why do they continue to allow those kind of contracts to pass?
It’s hard for me to imagine someone who tramples on the back of Low seniority part-timers as much as @PT Car Washer having the nerve to be indignant. But then again, I just consider the source.

Thebrownblob

95% of pt doesn’t plan on staying, forward thinking PT is an oxymoron the shifts can operate fine with a full time staff
I don’t know about the 95% number. The full-time combination jobs were a big win in 1997 but my local has One hub and five centers in its jurisdiction the only place there is enough shifts for full-time work is the hub. The centers generally only have a Preload and one other sort many hours apart.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Operating Costs...Just study the Company's history dealing with any newly created Full Time positions. The prime objective has always been to have underpaid, temporary, no medical benefited and non vested part time employees in every position.
Um, okay?
The troll said most of the company's profits are generated by part time employees with less than 9 months seniority. I simply laughed at his ridiculous statement.

It’s hard for me to imagine someone who tramples on the back of Low seniority part-timers as much as @PT Car Washer having the nerve to be indignant. But then again, I just consider the source.
I have been accused of hogging all of the extra work by lower seniority air drivers. The Union and the company says I am exercising my seniority rights. Do you know of a better system then seniority for extra work. Maybe who is younger or prettier or chummy with the boss?

TeltBender

Especially those vested part time years under the Central and Southern. Look how the West combines their part time and full time credit years

Look at the current quality of our newbies...None of them are thinking about hanging around to reach top scale or be vested in a pension plan..unless they are older or have a family, hiring college kids is next to impossible. The physical nature and work commitment associated with an entry level UPS job is simply not worth 20 bucks an hour for most, so much work out there that pays better and will not break down your body before retirement age or 25 years service.
Why would college kids stay when they are going to college

Thebrownblob

I have been accused of hogging all of the extra work by lower seniority air drivers. The Union and the company says I am exercising my seniority rights. Do you know of a better system then seniority for extra work. Maybe who is younger or prettier or chummy with the boss?
You’re not full-time you don’t have any seniority rights for full-time work

Over70irregs

Maybe some consultants need to be brought in from western pensions for the other plans ? We all deserve pension competency.

Ptrunner

That's sad
No actually it’s not. I was lucky to be able to go find half my dream job. I have another job that I love and look forward to every day and ups is my side gig for benefits and great pay.

We just have to agree to disagree on part time top rate.

I’ll be in my 50s slinging boxes I think that I deserve that higher rate of pay for that work when im that old. Im 41 now and still faster then the new hires in here who will make it to 20 dollars faster then it took me to get to 20. They need to bump up the pay. The last two years has been the worst employees and turnover I’ve seen in my 22 years. I just think mine shouldn’t be touched. There’s not many of me out there it should effect the numbers in this contract.

No actually it’s not. I was lucky to be able to go find half my dream job. I have another job that I love and look forward to every day and ups is my side gig for benefits and great pay.

We just have to agree to disagree on part time top rate.

I’ll be in my 50s slinging boxes I think that I deserve that higher rate of pay for that work when im that old. Im 41 now and still faster then the new hires in here who will make it to 20 dollars faster then it took me to get to 20. They need to bump up the pay. The last two years has been the worst employees and turnover I’ve seen in my 22 years. I just think mine shouldn’t be touched. There’s not many of me out there it should effect the numbers in this contract.
No doubt they need to bump up the part-time pay

The only problem is these part-timers many of them do not wish to go full time

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No doubt they need to bump up the part-time pay

Absolutely.

When @PT Car Washer and I started out, the rate of pay was like double minimum wage.

You could hold your head high.... having a job that paid so well. People were in awe of us. (seriously)

The only problem is these part-timers many of them do not wish to go full time

I don't have an answer for that one brother.

They bring newbies in for orientation and a tour of the building. Maybe (?) 1 in 20 lasts 30 days.

Some will walk out at break on their second day. Some won't come in for an interview without their phone.

But.... that's a company problem. Not ours.

Absolutely.

When @PT Car Washer and I started out, the rate of pay was like double minimum wage.

You could hold your head high.... having a job that paid so well. People were in awe of us. (seriously)

I don't have an answer for that one brother.

They bring newbies in for orientation and a tour of the building. Maybe (?) 1 in 20 lasts 30 days.

Some will walk out at break on their second day. Some won't come in for an interview without their phone.

But.... that's a company problem. Not ours.
Most of the younger drivers we have are off the street hires because nobody from the inside wanted to go out driving

Thebrownblob

Most of the younger drivers we have are off the street hires because nobody from the inside wanted to go out driving
I think I’ve said this a few times as I have been involved in a few contract negotiations in the past couple years, so I have a little different perspective, More than money, the members involved in many of these contracts wanted more time off.
For reasons that I won’t say are good or bad, there has been a shift in the majority of the younger peoples value system. Some people call them lazy or unmotivated, and that is
Possibly the case in some instances.

But many of these people have watched their parents and grandparents struggle and strive and get very little out of their 30 and 40 year careers, so they value their time more than they value a job in the pile of money.
So to an 18 to 25 year old working 60 hours a week for any amount of money is very unattractive. It is what it is.

I think I’ve said this a few times as I have been involved in a few contract negotiations in the past couple years, so I have a little different perspective, More than money, the members involved in many of these contracts wanted more time off.
For reasons that I won’t say are good or bad, there has been a shift in the majority of the younger peoples value system. Some people call them lazy or unmotivated, and that is
Possibly the case in some instances.

But many of these people have watched their parents and grandparents struggle and strive and get very little out of their 30 and 40 year careers, so they value their time more than they value a job in the pile of money.
So to an 18 to 25 year old working 60 hours a week for any amount of money is very unattractive. It is what it is.
They definitely don't want to work overtime