New driver put on new route

Duc848EVO

I won a 22.4 bid a month ago and just started driving this week and today was my first Saturday! It was fun, no business deliveries, no pick ups, fun times. Today I was put on a different route than my training route. My route is 90a and they tossed me into route 90c. A driver told me this morning that I no longer need to scratch because I ran a different route? Is this true? I’m in the local 638, glanced at the contract and I didn’t see anything about scratching 5 days in a row. What do you guys think? Do I still have to scratch before my 30 days are up?

21Savage

Yup they're not supposed to work you Saturday while you're still qualifying. You should be good. Get with your shop steward tuesday to verify in case they try to pull any funny stuff. But the fact they even worked you on a Sat while in qualifying means they most likely want to keep you.

I won a 22.4 bid a month ago and just started driving this week and today was my first Saturday! It was fun, no business deliveries, no pick ups, fun times. Today I was put on a different route than my training route. My route is 90a and they tossed me into route 90c. A driver told me this morning that I no longer need to scratch because I ran a different route? Is this true? I’m in the local 638, glanced at the contract and I didn’t see anything about scratching 5 days in a row. What do you guys think? Do I still have to scratch before my 30 days are up?
22.4 drivers don't have a route

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
How over allowed were you on 90c?

Sixth Punch Sense

You'll never be RPCD
giphy.gif

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I worked every Saturday while I was qualifying (as all 22.4s in my building did) and I was told my over allowed on Saturdays didn’t count against me because the Saturday routes are a whole different beast.

However they were looking to hire people. If they are looking to DQ people it could be different. Don’t rely on the word of another driver. Ask your supervisor, and then also ask the union to make sure your supe is being straight with you.

quad decade guy

While I'm not in his Local....we had to be 5 days under in a row. I had 4 and was DQ'd. Obviously, I did qualify.....and yes I had to go to the panel to get another chance. Btw, I was put on a "put together" route to qualify.....this was (eventually) why I got another chance. The next qualifying period was by the book and I qualified easily. Btw, my first center mgr. told me that he didn't like me from the get go...If they don't want you to make it.....you won't. Btw, this was during paper records and timecards....which could/were easily manipulated.
I had a great steward and he documented all this. He was crucial to my success. The Company could use that 4 out of 5 under allowed against me.....and did.

DriverNerd

I'm also in 638 and there is no requirement to run scratch a specific number of days. UPS can send you packing or keep you based on your performance, but no formal specific numbers are required. We've had plenty of drivers never run scratch and still qualify. Here they just want to see a consistent improvement throughout your probation, though they still like to see you run scratch. I find it odd they would not have you run Monday through Friday on a training route during your probation. Especially during your first week.

quad decade guy

I'm also in 638 and there is no requirement to run scratch a specific number of days. UPS can send you packing or keep you based on your performance, but no formal specific numbers are required. We've had plenty of drivers never run scratch and still qualify. Here they just want to see a consistent improvement throughout your probation, though they still like to see you run scratch. I find it odd they would not have you run Monday through Friday on a training route during your probation. Especially during your first week.
I'm curious....how do you know exactly what the parameters are?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Congrats lol If I were in your manager's shoes I'd be sweating bullets.
several local unions have a standard negotiation for when someone qualifies early but is later discovered to be accident-prone within 30 days. So stay safe, but otherwise, you already made it.

DriverNerd

I'm curious....how do you know exactly what the parameters are?
Your supervisor lets you know every couple days how you're doing and what they are expecting to see and every new driver is assigned an experienced driver as a mentor. When I was qualifying they expected us to run scratch at least once, now for the newer people they just expect to see improvement throughout probation. Our training routes haven't changed for years so they know which routes are obtainable scratch routes (for new drivers).