New England Contract - How long are part-timers required to work?

DonnyThao

I took a look at the contract and there is no mention of how long part-timers are required to work, intentionally vague, I'm sure. I was always told that i can leave after 5 hours, however transferring to a smaller building, they said they could make me stay until the work is finished. I'm hearing horror stories of peak season where they don't leave until 2:30 AM. I did not sign up for 9 hour shifts. I have other priorities. Anyone know?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I took a look at the contract and there is no mention of how long part-timers are required to work, intentionally vague, I'm sure. I was always told that i can leave after 5 hours, however transferring to a smaller building, they said they could make me stay until the work is finished. I'm hearing horror stories of peak season where they don't leave until 2:30 AM. I did not sign up for 9 hour shifts. I have other priorities. Anyone know?

When your boss says you can leave

Working 9 hours would probably mean you are double shifting and is voluntary. Besides Peak is 6 months away and you could find a better job by then.

DonnyThao

Working 9 hours would probably mean you are double shifting and is voluntary. Besides Peak is 6 months away and you could find a better job by then.

They only have 2 shifts and the evening shift doesn't end until the preload. Also I've been with UPS for 20 years. Don't think I'll be leaving unless I win the lottery or something.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yes , when you get a job you have to work ..

The man want's a job to get paid.... not to work. :-)

Working 9 hours would probably mean you are double shifting and is voluntary.

Not necessarily.

Forced overtime, is an acceptable solution to fulfill the company requirement to

"exhaust all means" to avoid having supervisors working.

Also I've been with UPS for 20 years.

And this situation has never come up before.... in 20 years ?

-Bug-

DonnyThao

Not necessarily.

Forced overtime, is an acceptable solution to fulfill the company requirement to

"exhaust all means" to avoid having supervisors working.
If that's the case, shouldn't there be something in the contract that defines overtime hours? What are the limits? What if they wanted you to stay 12 hours? People have other jobs.

And this situation has never come up before.... in 20 years ?

-Bug-
Never moved to a different building in 20 years. Also, at the old building, everyone left after 5 hours and the management didn't say anything, even during peak.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If that's the case, shouldn't there be something in the contract that defines overtime hours?

Generally speaking, for full-time employee's it's overtime after 8 hours.

For part-time, it's overtime after 5 hours. (or the terms of your supplement)

What are the limits?

None that I am aware of.

What if they wanted you to stay 12 hours?

You're going to make a lot of money ?

People have other jobs.

The way UPS looks at it....

Does your other job provide free healthcare and a defined pension plan ?

You might have to pick.

Also, at the old building, everyone left after 5 hours and the management didn't say anything, even during peak.

How does that work ?

That's typically known as job abandonment.

What does the company do.... if the work is not finished ?

Roll it over until the next day ?

DonnyThao

Generally speaking, for full-time employee's it's overtime after 8 hours.

For part-time, it's overtime after 5 hours. (or the terms of your supplement)

Last year, Rhode Island fought the 70 hour work week and won.

None that I am aware of.

Right, so who's to say they can't make you work 16 hours or more if there's no limit?

You're going to make a lot of money ?

I have enough money. I don't need 12 hour shifts.

The way UPS looks at it....

Does your other job provide free healthcare and a defined pension plan ?

You might have to pick.

healthcare and pension don't pay the rent.

How does that work ?

That's typically known as job abandonment.

What does the company do.... if the work is not finished ?

Roll it over until the next day ?
It just went over to the next shift or the supervisors did it. Shouldn't it be management's problem if they can't get enough people to handle the work?

PT Crazy

You leave when the boss says so. Part time is OT after five hours. They send people home following the seniority list. Ask from the top force from the bottom.

Mr. Marshall

If you have another job I bet they will find a way to let you go leave to make the job but if you live with your parents and only want to work 5 hours a day because you have no expenses I would say you are SOL. It also depends upon what kind of worker you are and how big of pain you are for them. We have a preloader at my building that they only make work 1 or 2 days a week and another that doesn't arrive until break. Plenty of others leave early for school.

rocket man

For ever plus ten years

unloady

I hate to break it to you but yes they can make you stay if they choose to do so. Leaving without permission from a supervisor is considered job abandonment and can get you fired. The job is done when it is done you can't just walk off when you feel like it. I'm in the same position as you and work a full time job on top of preload. It can get hectic especially during peak season. My advice is to just talk to your supervisor beforehand and explain your situation. You have 20 years? That means your making around $25 an hour give or take? I'm sure someone in management would love to get you off the clock as soon as possible, volunteer to leave early if they ask. You have lots of seniority. Worst case scenario let your other job know about the situation. I know other employers might not let that slide, I had to go through several other jobs before I found one that was willing to work around my UPS schedule especially during peak. Some times you just have to tough it out for awhile. There were plenty of days where i was working more than 16 hours a day between both jobs. Like a previous poster said, you have a solid pension even at part time and unrivaled healthcare/benefits. Maybe it's time to find a different second job, maximize your hours at ups and use your seniority for extra work while you look for another fulltime job. Either way, I would not jeopardize 20 years of investment for something as simple as clocking out when you feel like it..

LarryBird

You think you can dictate to UPS when your shift is over?

Hey sup bro, it's been 5 hours, :censored2: servicing our customers. I'm out.

Try that one out and see how it goes for you.

We're union brothers, so I hope you get your job back when you're in front of the panel for job abandonment. But you likely will not.