New hire and not getting work

Hassan87

Hi,
I was hired as a combination driver. I went through training already. For the 5 days I am going everyday to work and being told to come back tomorrow because there’s no work. It’s not just me , all the new hires are being sent home and being asked to come back tomorrow but still not getting work. I was wondering how long will this go on. What should I do? I need to pay my rent and feed my family. Should I look for another job or just going everyday in hope that they will start giving me work ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi,
I was hired as a combination driver. I went through training already. For the 5 days I am going everyday to work and being told to come back tomorrow because there’s no work. It’s not just me , all the new hires are being sent home and being asked to come back tomorrow but still not getting work. I was wondering how long will this go on. What should I do? I need to pay my rent and feed my family. Should I look for another job or just going everyday in hope that they will start giving me work ?

after ups sends you home head over to the Home Depot parking lot

somebody will have work for you

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Hi,
If possible just let them juggle you around till you drive everyday it will be worth it my non-union brother

Hassan87

It's up to you whether you stick it out or not, but once you do make seniority you will be guaranteed 40 hrs per week. You might considered heading over to a day labor place after UPS tells you there's no work to help you make it through.
Okay thanks. I would stick it out if I know one day I’ll be guaranteed 40 hours. Meanwhile I can drive Uber.

Dough99

Hi,
Keep your mouth shut until you qualify

MattM

I'm guessing you're working out of a delivery building and not a hub? So there's no inside work for you?

We had a couple guys transfer to another building under the impression more work would be available there vs. my building.

Hassan87

I'm guessing you're working out of a delivery building and not a hub? So there's no inside work for you?

We had a couple guys transfer to another building under the impression more work would be available there vs. my building.
Yes it’s a center.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Okay thanks. I would stick it out if I know one day I’ll be guaranteed 40 hours. Meanwhile I can drive Uber.

Here is the actual language regarding the 22.4 hours. Some people interpret it as a guarantee of 8 hours for 5 consecutive days, but after reading it again, it could also be interpreted as if they don't schedule you, then you aren't guaranteed the hours.

"Article 22 Section 4(b)

Paragraph

5. All 22.4 combination drivers shall be guaranteed eight (8) con- secutive hours of straight time pay per day, if reporting as sched- uled. All 22.4 combination drivers shall work a fve (5) consecutive day schedule of Tuesday through Saturday or Wednesday through Sunday. This paragraph shall supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject."