Future

Victory Ride
How much debt are you in after that 10 years of school? The point was that almost nowhere do you go to top rate of pay in your field from the beginning . Don't expect it from UPS either
425F44A4-9B21-492C-82DD-A57B6E1B1D53.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Actually, new drivers do the routes nobody else wants to do, because they suck, and they work harder/faster trying to prove themselves while making less $/hr than top-rate drivers running gravy/easy routes working 8-9 hour days making twice as much on a paycheck. If the job were exactly the same for top-rate and new hires, that’d actually be an improvement.

Prove yourselves to who? Maybe the reason top rate guys seem to get easy routes is a simpler answer than you think it is.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Spoken like a man that already got his

That's irrelevant.
I made top rate 20 years ago (1998) when it was $19.76 after 2 years of progression. Now drivers make just shy of that to start.
To me it's just a sense of entitlement that new drivers have that think they should earn today what others worked up to after 2-4 years.

I was telling my wife one day when I was still in package, I was overhearing two fresh college graduates discuss getting jobs. Entry level jobs to get their foot in the door. I hear the one say, "They want me to start at $15/hr!!!" with the other one following with comments on how great that would be. I kind of scoffed. But when I got home and was telling my wife about it she said, "Yeah, that's what jobs start at or even finish at sometimes."
And yet here at UPS we have drivers complaining about making $18.75/hr to start and if they make their 30 days and keep their head above water for 4 years they will make $36+/hr (over $40/hr by the end of the next contract), making more than most college graduates without the debt of a college graduate.

MAKAVELI

It makes sense, it just sucks, and isn't really fair. Ultimately it comes down to is how it is negotiated. If they reduce progression and anyone still in progression at the beginning of the new contract automatically changes to the new progression, then they top out after only two or three years, how is that fair to those of us who got screwed with a four year progression. If that happened, then I'd accept a $20k settlement for the under payment compared to every other driver who has ever worked for UPS, and I think UPS could afford it, I'm sure it wouldn't cost too many millions of dollars to settle with the drivers who went through 4 year progressions.

I say all this with the full understanding that a reduction in progression is highly unlikely, and if it did happen there will be no cash out for four-year progressors.
So would you demand a retro payment if they raised the starting wage?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's irrelevant.
I made top rate 20 years ago (1998) when it was $19.76 after 2 years of progression. Now drivers make just shy of that to start.
To me it's just a sense of entitlement that new drivers have that think they should earn today what others worked up to after 2-4 years.

I was telling my wife one day when I was still in package, I was overhearing two fresh college graduates discuss getting jobs. Entry level jobs to get their foot in the door. I hear the one say, "They want me to start at $15/hr!!!" with the other one following with comments on how great that would be. I kind of scoffed. But when I got home and was telling my wife about it she said, "Yeah, that's what jobs start at or even finish at sometimes."
And yet here at UPS we have drivers complaining about making $18.75/hr to start and if they make their 30 days and keep their head above water for 4 years they will make $36+/hr (over $40/hr by the end of the next contract), making more than most college graduates without the debt of a college graduate.

And yet you made no valid point at all why it was ok for you to only wait 2 years and why drivers now should wait twice as long or longer in your words.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's irrelevant.

If you factor in inflation (which you should) that $19.76 is worth $30.37 today so if we're being fair then new drivers should be making at least $30.00 at two years.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
How much debt are you in after that 10 years of school? The point was that almost nowhere do you go to top rate of pay in your field from the beginning . Don't expect it from UPS either

I agree that 4 years is a reasonable progression for drivers hired off the street. PT should get credit for time in, and Air Drivers should get even more credit. A new ground driver with 8 years part time and 4+ years as an air driver, driving ground routes during peak, is not the same as an off the street hire.

That's irrelevant.

@Jones' reply is correct.

So would you demand a retro payment if they raised the starting wage?

I'm not demanding anything, just being rhetorical. The reason I bring the matter up is that drivers in a 4 year progression miss out on anywhere from $30k - 100k depending on what other progression schedule you compare it to. If they decrease the progression schedule in the next contract the question then becomes why should drivers hired under this contract accept $30k+ less than drivers hired after them? If that's what happens, there may not be any recourse, but that doesn't make it fair. I'd be a year closer to paying off my house with that money, and that's no small matter. The same thing happen to me when I enlisted in the Army. Two years later they started offering much larger enlistment bonuses, and more money for school. Life's just not fair sometimes.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Two years longer to buy a house two years longer to have kids. While waiting 5 years longer to even make it to ft.
People have a house and two kids on a lot less than what UPS atop rate employees make. All depends if you want to clothe them in WalMart or Ralph Lauren. And if you want a 1200 sq ft home or a 3000 sq ft home. How bad do you need to keep up with the Jones’???

I will agree with @Jones in that maybe the steps of progression may need to be a little more but the time span is good. It took me two years but no one ever heard me complain that it should be 6 months like it was years before me.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
That's irrelevant.

So by this logic you should have been happy with the same pay drivers made in 1978 and they should have been happy with what drivers made in 1958. But I'm sure back then times were different and you deserved more than they made 20 years earlier.

Some of you guys are unbelievable!

So by this logic you should have been happy with the same pay drivers made in 1978 and they should have been happy with what drivers made in 1958. But I'm sure back then times were different and you deserved more than they made 20 years earlier.

Some of you guys are unbelievable!
What??
Yes the proggprogre is longer but I guess everyone wants to start at top rate

I would have limel that too.