Cementups

Box Monkey
So by this logic you should have been happy with the same pay drivers made in 1978 and they should have been happy with what drivers made in 1958. But I'm sure back then times were different and you deserved more than they made 20 years earlier.

Some of you guys are unbelievable!

transparent-red-x-icon_293199.png

Nice how you tried to spin that in a total opposite direction of my point though. Must be a manager/supervisor. :p

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
transparent-red-x-icon_293199.png

Nice how you tried to spin that in a total opposite direction of my point though. Must be a manager/supervisor. :p

Nope not management and never want to be, I am a feeder driver.

Progression has been lengthened substantially from when you went through it: FACT

It now takes going through an entire 4 year progression to earn a wage equal to what you earned in two years with inflation factored in: FACT

You seem to think people starting out in a much worse position then you did are whiners: FACTUAL and HYPOCRITICAL

New employees today are now forced to go through a part-time progression when hired and then another 4 year full-time progression, and your response is they are whiners and need to spend their money better.. please tell me you have NOTHING to do with the bargaining unit!!!

Also, I apologise to whomever I stole the FACT thing from. :)

Cementups

Box Monkey
Nope not management and never want to be, I am a feeder driver.

Progression has been lengthened substantially from when you went through it: FACT

It now takes going through an entire 4 year progression to earn a wage equal to what you earned in two years with inflation factored in: FACT

You seem to think people starting out in a much worse position then you did are whiners: FACTUAL and HYPOCRITICAL

New employees today are now forced to go through a part-time progression when hired and then another 4 year full-time progression, and your response is they are whiners and need to spend their money better.. please tell me you have NOTHING to do with the bargaining unit!!!

Also, I apologise to whomever I stole the FACT thing from. :)

FYI, never once did I call anyone a whiner.

And my bargaining unit is in my pants ;)

The Range

In too deep
That's irrelevant.
I made top rate 20 years ago (1998) when it was $19.76 after 2 years of progression. Now drivers make just shy of that to start.
To me it's just a sense of entitlement that new drivers have that think they should earn today what others worked up to after 2-4 years.

I was telling my wife one day when I was still in package, I was overhearing two fresh college graduates discuss getting jobs. Entry level jobs to get their foot in the door. I hear the one say, "They want me to start at $15/hr!!!" with the other one following with comments on how great that would be. I kind of scoffed. But when I got home and was telling my wife about it she said, "Yeah, that's what jobs start at or even finish at sometimes."
And yet here at UPS we have drivers complaining about making $18.75/hr to start and if they make their 30 days and keep their head above water for 4 years they will make $36+/hr (over $40/hr by the end of the next contract), making more than most college graduates without the debt of a college graduate.

What was your adjusted buying power with a 1998 top rate.. over $30/hr. How long to go full time? For context, it is 8 years to drive here (15 years inside). Someone starting at UPS in this area (NE) will wait 12 years driving and 20 years inside until top rate. You're also chasing that time, as automation creep, a weak union (hybrid drivers, expanse of seasonal, part time cover), and UPS shenanigans will not reduce the wait. Those who began at UPS in 1998 typically endured a 6 year or less wait from pt > full time > top rate. Analyzing the facts, you had it good in comparison. That is interesting indeed, sir. Why would one go to college when that debt could be avoided while earning more $? We reside in a free market, and last I checked UPS cannot staff the operation with union-negotiated pay schedules.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
What was your adjusted buying power with a 1998 top rate.. over $30/hr. How long to go full time? For context, it is 8 years to drive here (15 years inside). Someone starting at UPS in this area (NE) will wait 12 years driving and 20 years inside until top rate. You're also chasing that time, as automation creep, a weak union (hybrid drivers, expanse of seasonal, part time cover), and UPS shenanigans will not reduce the wait. Those who began at UPS in 1998 typically endured a 6 year or less wait from pt > full time > top rate. Analyzing the facts, you had it good in comparison. That is interesting indeed, sir. Why would one go to college when that debt could be avoided while earning more $? We reside in a free market, and last I checked UPS cannot staff the operation with union-negotiated pay schedules.

Here at HARPA you can having a driving job today if you are looking to move. And pretty much instant full-time, especially if you have a CDL and are interested in feeders.

I had to wait 2.5 years to start driving but I also wasn't 21 yet or I could have been out sooner. And it was about 8.5 years for me to get full time though i could have done that sooner too if I would have been smart and taken combo or 22.3 jobs. But I was part time and top rate long before I was full time.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I really don't have a problem with them extending the probationary period for full-time employees from 2-4.years .My issue is with the lower wages.

For estimate purposes say our top rate is $36 and the starting wage is $18.50. That puts a first year driver at 51.4% of top rate. In year two they are at a whopping 55.2% of too rate.

To put that in perspective, you would have started adriving at $10.14 per hour in 1998, moved to $10.89 in 1999 and at the beginning of year 3 gone to a whopping $11.77 instead of $19.72 and still had two years to go.

Did you start full-time anywhere close to $10.14 an hour?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't recall exactly what the rate was exactly when i started driving in 1996 but I think it was in the $12/hr range and I think the last rate before hitting top rate was in the $15 range. Then at two years my top rate was $19.76/hr. (for some reason i recall that number accurately). That was April 1998 and I was still a part timer. In CPA we have part time cover drivers. I didn't go full time until 1/14/2002 at which I was already top rate for 4 years.