New Seatbelt, Bulkhead, Brake, and GPS sensors being put into UPS trucks!

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Amen!

Next time you're in the seat take a look at how far away the ground is. That would be a heck of a tumble, even if parked.

Forget the tumble. How about when the truck falls on top of you?

Adding this to my truck is a waste of money. I've been playing by the rules since I got written up for an open bulkhead 25 years ago. Honestly, when you get the hang of it, it doesn't take any longer to do the job as instructed. If it does, you make more money. A no-lose situation!

Pip

It's true. UPS mechanics have started putting in new sensors in the UPS trucks. There is a central unit which monitors whether a driver is using their seatbelt, shutting their bulkhead door, and using the parking break. The unit knows whether the truck is moving with a new GPS receiver in the truck. If your truck is moving and your seatbelt and bulkhead door are not on/shut, you may now be fired because of it. If your truck is not moving, and your parking break is not on, same deal.

This might be happening in other parts of the country. We haven't been told to install any telltale sensors in any cars in our fleet yet. The new cars coming in haven't had anything like this added either. The drivetrain does have sensors to monitor the pre-failure components. But nothing was added to the seatbelts, B/H door, or anything like that. Could possibly be something that is going to be phased in at some point. But i haven't seen it here yet, nor have been told about it.

upsgrunt

I just got a new P12 four months ago, and it has all those sensors right from the factory. There is even a door ajar "dummy" light on the dash. Closing the door and putting on the seat belt is no big deal when you get into the habit, but I do have one question: On the new automatics, are we still required to set the ebrake at each stop?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only people who should concern themselves with these safety/monitoring devices are those who are not following the methods. I have to disagree with an earlier post in which the person advised everyone to "slow down and follow the methods." I follow the methods and consider myself to be a very efficient driver so you don't necessarily have to use shortcuts to get the job done quickly. Knowing the DIAD inside and out, having a good memory, spending as little time in the back of the truck as possible (they called that "massaging the packages" when I started 19 long years ago) and, most importantly, knowing your customers and their preferences all lend themselves to a smooth day.

Pip

I just got a new P12 four months ago, and it has all those sensors right from the factory. There is even a door ajar "dummy" light on the dash. Closing the door and putting on the seat belt is no big deal when you get into the habit, but I do have one question: On the new automatics, are we still required to set the ebrake at each stop?

Yep your supposed to set the brake. Example. last summer driver stops, thinks he puts it in park all the way. Goes to make delivery. Comes back to package car slowly rolling along the side of the road. Luckily nothing happened but he came over to tell me about it that night when he got back. Everything checked out ok in the shifter assembly, driver was honest to me and said he might not have got it totally up into park.

Point being, still best to cover your butt and set the park brake. Most of us don't in our personal vehicles, but best to set it in UPS vehicles.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Point being, still best to cover your butt and set the park brake. Most of us don't in our personal vehicles, but best to set it in UPS vehicles.

Automatics will roll if not in Park, and sometimes the shifter doesn't shift into gear like it should. Always set the Parking Brake. Don't ask me how I learned this..............

Fredless

APWA Hater
good, let them. I follow those methods all of the time anyway.

If I am turning the key with my right hand, my left is clicking my seat belt.

bulk head door always closed when i'm in the seat.

to me, its common sense. What I don't get is why does Fedex leave the bulkhead open all the time and DOT won't fine them like they supposedly will to us.

FromBluetoBrown

Automatics will roll if not in Park, and sometimes the shifter doesn't shift into gear like it should. Always set the Parking Brake. Don't ask me how I learned this..............

You are right scratch, I'm not a driver but I have asked to move the floor cars from time to time and they are automatics and there have been a few times where they appear to be in park but yet still roll anyways. Also some of the trucks the indicator screen on the lever is dirty or hardly readable so its hard to tell where the indicator arrow is.

Tony31yrs

I started using my seatbelt about 20 years ago when my on car supe was training a new guy in a bad neighborhood. A drunk driver broadsided him in the summer at 2 in the afternoon and they both got thrown out of the truck and knocked out. Some scum took the keys and stole about 10 pkgs out of the back while they lay there. I got used to putting it on and locking the bulkhead and never had to worry about the Nazi bosses sneaking up and catching me not following procedures. They were suspending or firing guys for not using seatbelts when I retired. I always told the younger guys to follow the rules and don't worry about the sporh. Just do the job and the union will back you.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

I've never driven a commercial vehicle. When I was still driving a personal vehicle, I'd set the e-brake everytime that car was in park. My father was riding in the car with me once when I did that and asked why. I told him about seeing a sedan roll away in a parking lot of a grocery store I worked in. The car rolled right into an SUV when the owner got out of the car. I was first to arrive on the scene (right after the driver of the sedan) and sure enough, the car was supposedly in park. Moral of the story: I always set my e-brake! Excessive? Maybe. Additional wear and tear on the brakes? Probably. Never having the embarassment (or an insurance claim for carelessness) for a roll-away? Priceless.

They were suspending or firing guys for not using seatbelts when I retired.

I might take heat for this but I think they should be fired if they are NOT using their seatbelts. I was in two collisions as a driver--one would have been fatal if I'd been driving a smaller car when being hit by something like an SUV (long story). The seatbelt saved my life in a collision as a kid when my mother rear-ended a Suburban at 30. I'm a very big advocate of seatbelts. Right after I started driving, I threw a kid out of my car that refused to buckle up. I was almost deafened by yelling when my father found out I'd thrown the kid out. He calmed down when I told him my side of the story and offered my license if he didn't agree with my actions--then or in the future--if it happened again. Never another problem with seatbelts....-Rocky

SmithBarney

... What I don't get is why does Fedex leave the bulkhead open all the time and DOT won't fine them like they supposedly will to us.

Makes sense to me.(having worked for both)

FedEx ground guys are horrible about closing the doors

Its required at Express, in fact all new(keyless) FedEx Express Vehicles
will not start if the bulkhead, or rear door is open.

Seems like UPS would rather catch someone instead of
just putting in a simpler system that won't allow it to start.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
It's hard to believe that when I first started, seat belts were not required. Then we were all upset when they told us we had to wear them to and from our area. We REALLY flipped out when they required them all of the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was 8 years military before working at UPS so the seatbelt requirement is no big deal to me. I also would have no problem with termination for failure to wear your seat belt. We have an air driver who rarely wears his seat belt and is always seen talking on his hand-held cell phone while driving (illegal in NY) so it is just a matter of time before he will go from saying "First initial, last name, please" to "Do you want fries with that?"

Griff

Not wearing your seatbelt as a driver is a cardinal offense here. You always get fired for it, unless it's around Christmas time then they just talk a big game and give you a warning letter. Has never happened to me personally, I wear it at all times, even at docks when I'm backing in a P700 with the doors (annoying).

Tony31yrs

Once you get used to putting it on, it becomes automatic like everything at UPS. I hit the button on the seatbelt as I pulled the keys and in the motion of getting up, I inserted the key in the bulkhead lock. The newer seatbelts are much better too. If you have any problem with the seatbelt just write it up and the mechanics will fix it or order a new one. I used to write them up if they didn't stay up or if the plastic on the holder cracked. It's a big thing with UPS so they will fix any problems you have immediately. For the last 11 years, I had a newer car and didn't think I would like the shoulder strap, but after adjusting it and getting used to it-I loved it.