New Seatbelt, Bulkhead, Brake, and GPS sensors being put into UPS trucks!

over9five

Staff member
"What I don't get is why does Fedex leave the bulkhead open all the time and DOT won't fine them like they supposedly will to us."

I've always wondered about this too. UPS says we will get fined 2 gazillion dollars for that bulkhead door open. DOT could bring in a lot of money with Fedex. Their ground guys leave the bulkhead AND overhead door open when they're away from the truck.

As a driver, the new sensors don't bother me at all.

But as a stockholder who has seen the stock value being stagnant for many years, I think it's a huge waste of money that could better be spent elsewhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've got a feeling that DOT don't have any regulations on bulkhead doors. I would like to see proof. (Not that it isn't a good idea to keep them shut)

over9five

Staff member
"I've got a feeling that DOT don't have any regulations on bulkhead doors."

But......but......... but that would mean.........

UPS LIES TO US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.

rod

Retired 22 years
"I've got a feeling that DOT don't have any regulations on bulkhead doors."

But......but......... but that would mean.........

UPS LIES TO US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it aint so.
I feel real bad about bursting your bubble- Yes Virginia, UPS has been known to tell a little white lie every once in awhile:happy2:

Docparcel79

Rod I do agree with ya on that one. Just the simple fact is every Fedex and DHL driver you see are flying around with their bulk head doors open. None of them being stopped, but yes they are more likely to be targeted by the TSA. Funny small quick story. I was out with my wife and son on a saturday, and I happan to see a FedEx Express truck pull right out in front of me, and to my amazment, His rear door was wide OPEN!!!!! No packages were seen in the back. I followed him to a covenance store and asked him if he thaught it was safe to have that door open with a two wheeler not secured, His reply I DO IT ALL THE TIME WITHOUT AN ACCIDENT.. go figure

rod

Retired 22 years
The first day of delivering in 1971 I was in a P600 and it happened to be the hottest day we had had in years. About 3 o'clock the center manager who was training me couldn't stand it no more so he opened up the rear door (bulkhead door had been open all day) and we finnished off the route driving with ALL doors open. He did tell me not to do it when I was on my own- the old do as I say not as I do thing. P.S. In those days package cars didn't have seatbelts or jump seats in them so basically we were an accident waiting to happen.

Tony31yrs

They never told us that it was a DOT rule. They said it was a safety issue. When I first started, they would make us take out cars that were so full that the packages would tumble out and jam the stickshift because the bulkhead wouldn't close. After a pkg jammed the tranny in first gear in traffic once, I told them I would not take a car out if it wouldn't close.
Another time, when the truck was half empty, a pkg fell forward off the shelf knocking the car out of gear and hitting me. It's more of a safety issue than a DOT rule.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was actually going to take the time to search DOT for this bulkhead rule......however, an introduction told me there were 1.2 million pages of regulations listed.

I don't have that kind of time !! left!! :wink2:

Docparcel79

SEATBELT!!!!! SEATBELT!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SEAT BELTS... We'll just use the sup's ties that we have strapped to our necks while their whipping our backs!!

paidslave

Not wearing your seatbelt as a driver is a cardinal offense here. You always get fired for it, unless it's around Christmas time then they just talk a big game and give you a warning letter. Has never happened to me personally, I wear it at all times, even at docks when I'm backing in a P700 with the doors (annoying).

Cardinal Offense? Where does it say that in the contract and what contract are you reading?
Dishonesty
Stealing
Non Employee Passengers
3rd accidents in 12 months unless someone is seriously injured in First or second Accident and its your fault!
Drinking on Job
Rollaway
No call No show
All others are subject to Written warning!
These are the Cardinal Offense in my contract!!!
Please back your statement with facts or refer your comments as Propaganda!

moodaddy247

I can't drive 55
Actually, I think it's kinda funny.

They can sit in the office and can tell where you are at, whether you're moving or not, whether your bulkhead door is shut or not, whether your seatbelt is on or not, etc..........but they still can't deliver the packages from the office. That's got to irritate the heck out of somebody!

Or yet better... perhaps a computer to do the supvs. job and let the computer document all of these 'infractions'...lol

moodaddy247

I can't drive 55
How embarrassing would that be if your sitting in front of a customers store and you fell out of your seat. ha ha ha

It would be one of those man I hope nobody was watching. Only to find out the next day that they had you on camera. This has happend but, I didn't fall out of my seat.:knockedout:

I've fallen out of a tractor b/4... it hurts, for sure... course, thats why they preach the 3 point contact to us at all times... and it works!:peaceful:

satellitedriver

SEATBELT!!!!! SEATBELT!!!! WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SEAT BELTS... We'll just use the sup's ties that we have strapped to our necks while their whipping our backs!!
If you had lost a friend that had her face cut off going through a windshield, because she was not wearing a seatbelt, you might not be so flippant.
It was three days before her wedding and her fiance was driving.
He was wearing a seatbelt. He told me he wanted to kiss her goodbye, before she died, lying in the road.
He could not, because her lips had been cut off.
Sorry to be so graphic, but this is a serious subject.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
They need to install sensors in the offices to see how much time is spent sitting around with their feet up on a desk, time spent on the computer on non UPS sites, if their eyes are open or if they are sleeping and if they are even in the office or out screwing off all day.

Griff

They need to install sensors in the offices to see how much time is spent sitting around with their feet up on a desk, time spent on the computer on non UPS sites, if their eyes are open or if they are sleeping and if they are even in the office or out screwing off all day.

Management doesn't steal, they have integrity. I thought everyone knew that stealing is relegated to people who pay union dues. :rolleyes:

Docparcel79

If you had lost a friend that had her face cut off going through a windshield, because she was not wearing a seatbelt, you might not be so flippant.
It was three days before her wedding and her fiance was driving.
He was wearing a seatbelt. He told me he wanted to kiss her goodbye, before she died, lying in the road.
He could not, because her lips had been cut off.
Sorry to be so graphic, but this is a serious subject.
Satellitedriver, I was just being comical<sp>. Seatbelts are a very important tool to our everday activities. I for one wear mine everyday. I too someone who had an accident and the seatbelt saved their life. I apologize for my comment

wornoutupser

I have personally had 2 package cars fall apart on the highway.

WHY would you not wear a seatbelt driving these rolling trash cans?

Hangingon

I guess this means they'll need to hire more Christmas drivers. No way the gunners who were running 350-400 stops a day w/o a helper are going to be able to do it w/o the shortcuts.
I'm a bit curious about the enforcement, if you get written up for not wearing your seatbelt according to the sensor, can the steward verify that everyone who wasn't wearing their seat belts that day are also being disciplined (ie the bonus babies)?