New Seatbelt, Bulkhead, Brake, and GPS sensors being put into UPS trucks!

ExupserNaples

For all of you drivers that are taking shortcuts (not using the seatbelt, shutting bulkhead door, applying parking break) between stops, you'd better rethink how you run your route!

Its kinda surprising to me that its Mr "Pickups" is the one talking about taking shortcuts. HAHAHA

Channahon

My take on this new technology and as I see it benefits the safety of UPS employees and the public

Seatbelts - saves your life

Bulkhead doors - saves your life - prevents someone from entering your vehicle and surprising you with a weapon in hand. Prevents unauthroized packages (tick -tick -tick) from being placed in your vehicle and protects our customers packages.

Brakes - saves your life - no rollaway vehicle or chasing your car to set the brake

GPS - saves your life - if an incident occured, (accident, hold up, road call, theft of pacakge car) help can be sent immediate location.

GRACEDOG

I drive a 2007 P57 and all wires are there from the factory. This really does not bother me. I am just waiting for the temperature sensors on the hand rails? Probably next. I read the post about the cab & cargo area cameras if that ever happens imagine the lost time trying to find a public restroom instead of the trusty gatorade bottle. But, back to the serious talk. I guess UPS has had this technology for a while and they are just making it happen now. I also read & heard that in order for them to discipline you they have to catch you in person for it to stick. Is this true? They won't just believe a computer because a computer is never wrong?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Bulkhead doors - saves your life - prevents someone from entering your vehicle and surprising you with a weapon in hand. Prevents unauthroized packages (tick -tick -tick) from being placed in your vehicle and protects our customers packages.

Another big thing with bulk head doors is that they keep packages from becoming projectiles. If you get hit in the head and knocked out by package you then become out of control of your vehicle. You're already out of control of your surroundings so why would you chance giving up the one thing you are still in control of.

govols019

You smell that?
Keeping the bulkhead door closed also keeps packages from sliding out of your truck and into the street while you're making a turn or hard stop. That would be embarrassing. Not that I know or anything.

satellitedriver

Another big thing with bulk head doors is that they keep packages from becoming projectiles. If you get hit in the head and knocked out by package you then become out of control of your vehicle. You're already out of control of your surroundings so why would you chance giving up the one thing you are still in control of.
It only took one time for me.
When that two wheeler came through the open bulk head door, after I had to hit the brakes hard, I had no problem keeping the door closed.
It flipped and almost caught me in the head.
Never again.
PAX

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I *usually* keep my door shut, always when I am away from the vehicle, sometimes I just forget....But I would actually like to see the numbers of UPS drivers cited by homeland security for not having it closed.
Im Ok with the censors, til they put a swear-o-meter in there, then we have a problem, other than that Im good.
Seat belts, yes it is a no brainer, you are sitting on a glorified post up your butt. But the shoulder harness in winter is a pain, I have so many clothes on I cant reach my diad.
And I dont care for the automatic with ABS in the winter, I think you can feel where you are at on the ice much better with manual, and I dont like the brakes taking over. I usually throw it in neutral and maneuver myself, but Ill live with it since its awesome the other months. Ill keep it.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Its kinda surprising to me that its Mr "Pickups" is the one talking about taking shortcuts. HAHAHA
I am here to help. Whether it be giving drivers a heads up on these sensors, or giving drivers a safer way to get important info from their pickup customers.
You can call me Mr. Helpful.

LeddySS98

I was finishing up the route in those big long beast 12's and i had my bulk head door closed when i got on the brakes and i heard the hand cart come sliding up the floor making that distinct sound on the floor with all the grooves... BANG... I was glad to have it closed that day:happy-very:

Yesterday, I drove a 1985 p500 the hand brake wouldn't hold, the bulk head door was very hard to open and close (took two hands), the drivers door would not close all the way (1/4 daylight gap), none of the dash gauges have worked in years, the back door seals are in such bad shape that one two mile trip on a dirt road and every package close to the back is covered in dust, driving into a 10-15 mph wind = 55-60 truck mph max, the steering is so loose the truck road walks like an Egyptian. The mechanics can't repair crap because UPS won't give them the time for the work and money for parts. Tell me again UPS really cares about MY safety and health. Seems to me that they could put all that money they are spending on technology to catch someone not setting their hand brake once in a while or not using their seat belt for a three house drive up to better use.
Don't get me wrong, I believe that all those safety rules are good and should be used, but I call BS on the premise that this technology is for OUR safety.

upsdude

I am here to help. Whether it be giving drivers a heads up on these sensors, or giving drivers a safer way to get important info from their pickup customers.

Until we get a PCM that directs us to your “service” most of us will work as directed. I’m sure a lot of drivers use their phones etc to contact pickup accounts, but at times you’re treading in some dangerous waters.

Years ago I called a PU because I was running late. The owner told me he had nothing to ship. A few minutes later one of his employees called UPS and said their driver didn’t show up for the PU. The only reason I didn’t get in a mess was because the business owner called my boss and took responsibility. His call combined with my heavy dispatch that day kept me out of the Warning Letter of the Month Club.

brownrecluse

I can't believe all of the mileage this extraordinarily self-serving post has gotten. Someone mentioned SPAM below... I totally agree.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
I can't believe all of the mileage this extraordinarily self-serving post has gotten. Someone mentioned SPAM below... I totally agree.

Yeah, you're right. Next time I find out that ups is doing something that most drivers don't know about; something that will certainly concern them and their job; I shouldn't let drivers know about it. Let them find out the hard way. My post is exactly what brown cafe is all about. Spam? Maybe you are eating too much of it.

paidslave

I *usually* keep my door shut, always when I am away from the vehicle, sometimes I just forget....But I would actually like to see the numbers of UPS drivers cited by homeland security for not closing it.

Homeland Security? When was the last time homeland security visited your drivers?

Homeland security is for finding terrorist.....Please leave your comments for yourself and/or back them up with proof....Other than that this is propaganda!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'll call you mr spammer... You are well aware that you are not permitted to post links to your website here.

Like I told you multiple times, send me some proof that UPS will not fire people for using your service or hold them accountable for service failures caused by your service and then we can talk about your advertising here. Since you already know I do not allow links to your site this thread is just more self promotional spamming.

satellitedriver

My post is exactly what brown cafe is all about.
Wrong, spam breath.
BrownCafe is not here for promotion of your "service". ( I use the word service in replacement of a word I would have to delete as a moderator)
Your "service" has no viable application for UPS , or in this forum.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Homeland Security? When was the last time homeland security visited your drivers?

Homeland security is for finding terrorist.....Please leave your comments for yourself and/or back them up with proof....Other than that this is propaganda!

Oh great one, please excuse me.
I guess I should have said DOT, but we were also told another reason to keep our bulkhead door shut was so someone could not overtake our vehicle, or put a box with unknown contents in it, after 9/11.

So Oh great one, I'll define my posts better in the future, or check with you , K??????????:laughing:

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
I'll call you mr spammer... You are well aware that you are not permitted to post links to your website here.

Like I told you multiple times, send me some proof that UPS will not fire people for using your service or hold them accountable for service failures caused by your service and then we can talk about your advertising here. Since you already know I do not allow links to your site this thread is just more self promotional spamming.

Don't you know how to send a private message via your web site? I guess I will go ahead and reply here in the forum like you did.

If you don't want people to post links on your web site, then just update your site so that it doesn't give people the option! That way you can stop spending you precious time monitering my comments.

I am not trying to promote my web site, it does just fine on it's own. I was simply posting the pictures for others to see. Drivers need to see what the sensors look like so they can know once they are put into their trucks. If I posted them on your web site, you'd probably give me **** for that somehow too. And according to your disclosures, the pictures would then be yours to either allow or disallow your members to use. I didn't want to give you that option.

My post was simply an attempt to get the word out on this important issue. I thought that's what your web site was for?

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Wrong, spam breath.
BrownCafe is not here for promotion of your "service". ( I use the word service in replacement of a word I would have to delete as a moderator)
Your "service" has no viable application for UPS , or in this forum.

What does my "service" have to do with this thread?

Last edited:

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Until we get a PCM that directs us to your “service” most of us will work as directed. I’m sure a lot of drivers use their phones etc to contact pickup accounts, but at times you’re treading in some dangerous waters.

Years ago I called a PU because I was running late. The owner told me he had nothing to ship. A few minutes later one of his employees called UPS and said their driver didn’t show up for the PU. The only reason I didn’t get in a mess was because the business owner called my boss and took responsibility. His call combined with my heavy dispatch that day kept me out of the Warning Letter of the Month Club.

Yeah, my "service" eliminates the problem you had.