No more PVDs?

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Of course because most don’t have a sack, and most just want their day made easier by any means necessary. That’s why hourlies are going to have a big problem on their hands in the future. Younger generation just wants life as easy as possible and they don’t care what route is taken to accomplish that. That’s not the way it should ever work at this company. There’s a process that should be followed.
Actually most of the RPCD's I was referring to have been with the company 15 to 20 years+.

PVD Watch
Current PVD Job Openings
These ads are for multiple PVDs in a town or area.
Quite a few states in the central region, too.
Looks like UPS plans to do whatever it wants.

In many areas of the Central during the last two peak seasons, part-time union drivers were sent home with minimum hours, while PVDs would be working 6-12hr days. Looks like the nightmare continues again, and each of us will lose another $25-35k. (Most of the Central is comprised of Right to Work states, so the PVDs are not paying dues.)

UPS is doubling down with the purchase of Roadie, rather than backing off. Ignoring what is going on, means you will be next.
Not just PT Union members but FT delivery drivers were being forced to give up their work to PVDs who were under utilized.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Not just PT Union members but FT delivery drivers were being forced to give up their work to PVDs who were under utilized.
In my particular case I never became a PVD to take work, and by extension, money from members either in a bargaining unit or that have been there longer than me. That being said I think it's wrong to cut a regular employee's hours and give them to a PVD. I approached the offer they made to me to become a seasonal pvd as one who would augment and assist over burdened RPCD's during peak season and then I'd be gone until next peak season. As I have stated, for me and the many old timer RPCD-ers I have contact with it has always been positive, never has any one of them complained about the pvd taking away their money or OT. There may be other things they complain about but that wasn't it.

Back From Break

OK. We bitched to the Union about working long hours, not seeing our families, especially during peak.

The Union heard our bitching and did something about it.

Now we’re bitching about not getting enough hours.

Make up your damn mind so the Union knows exactly what you want.

You want to work exactly 9.3 hours, no more, no less. Ain’t gonna happen.

worldwide

OK. We bitched to the Union about working long hours, not seeing our families, especially during peak.

The Union heard our bitching and did something about it.

Now we’re bitching about not getting enough hours.

Make up your damn mind so the Union knows exactly what you want.

You want to work exactly 9.3 hours, no more, no less. Ain’t gonna happen.

PVD Watch
Current PVD Job Openings
These ads are for multiple PVDs in a town or area.
Quite a few states in the central region, too.
Looks like UPS plans to do whatever it wants.

In many areas of the Central during the last two peak seasons, part-time union drivers were sent home with minimum hours, while PVDs would be working 6-12hr days. Looks like the nightmare continues again, and each of us will lose another $25-35k. (Most of the Central is comprised of Right to Work states, so the PVDs are not paying dues.)

UPS is doubling down with the purchase of Roadie, rather than backing off. Ignoring what is going on, means you will be next.

Who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just folded without any bribes. But that’s above my pay grade. Word at my local is no PVDs this peak. Center manager says otherwise. Should be interesting.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Your post literally says why they shouldn’t be allowed. Or strictly limited. You have almost a 50/50 split. That’s crazy!!!!
What do you suggest than? Tell me your glorious plan that will get us through peak. I for one am here for the paycheck/bennies. I work hard everyday for those. I don’t get paid enough to figure out “plans”. Just get the job done and enjoy the little time I have away from this place.

Rack em

Made the Podium
What do you suggest than? Tell me glorious plan that will get us through peak.
Hire seasonal drivers to drive either package cars or fleet rentals, the company has had plenty of time to plan and get rentals in order. Allowing pvds is allowing the company to plan for an alternate work force in the event of a strike. Pvds are subcontracted scabs and need to be abolished!

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Hire seasonal drivers to drive either package cars or fleet rentals, the company has had plenty of time to plan and get rentals in order. Allowing pvds is allowing the company to plan for an alternate work force in the event of a strike. Pvds are subcontracted scabs and need to be abolished!
Yeah sure sounds great if you live in a higher than average population area. Here, there aren’t enough people who’d want to seasonly drive for :censored2: pay and no job afterwards in tough weather for 14 hours a day.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yeah sure sounds great if you live in a higher than average population area. Here, there aren’t enough people who’d want to seasonly drive for :censored2: pay and no job afterwards in tough weather for 14 hours a day.
Sounds like the companies problem to handle. I am in the same boat as you where we are in a less popular area, but that doesn't mean I am willing to let the company get away with their agenda just to get some help one month out of the year. Last year we had part timers wanting to do seasonal work but weren't allowed because the company abused the pvds. How is it right to take work away from union members who want it and give it to scabs?

Heard there is a shortage of rental trucks available because of the chip shortage. Ford and GM are using the chips they can get in the higher end cars and trucks with the highest profit margins.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Heard there is a shortage of rental trucks available because of the chip shortage. Ford and GM are using the chips they can get in the higher end cars and trucks with the highest profit margins.
Then the company should have done their damn job and had package cars made. Damn near every center has been short package cars for as long as I've worked here. We have had the same 7-8 rentals since last year, with the amount of money the company is paying for them each month they could have easily built at least 5 package cars. Not to mention the companies ridiculous first quarter profit! The company will always find ways not to invest in updating centers and manufacturing package cars because they are all about "doing more with less".

Then the company should have done their damn job and had package cars made. Damn near every center has been short package cars for as long as I've worked here. We have had the same 7-8 rentals since last year, with the amount of money the company is paying for them each month they could have easily built at least 5 package cars. Not to mention the companies ridiculous first quarter profit! The company will always find ways not to invest in updating centers and manufacturing package cars because they are all about "doing more with less".
How about when the rentals just sit because of a flat tire or another mechanical issue? Or the keys get lost? Sit there for weeks because management doesn't know anything about it. You can't make this stuff up.

Back From Break
Hire seasonal drivers to drive either package cars or fleet rentals

What is the difference if a seasonal driver drives a rental supplied by the company or their personal vehicle with the Company paying mileage for it?

Allowing pvds is allowing the company to plan for an alternate work force in the event of a strike.

You're kidding, right? They may be able to clean out the system, but that's about it. How is a PVD going to back his mini van onto a Kohl's dock, or Target, and load 10,000 packages?

but that doesn't mean I am willing to let the company get away with their agenda just to get some help one month out of the year.

So, you want the Company to buy thousands of package cars just to use for 1 month, during peak? And let them sit there for 11 months out of the year? I agree they could use a few extra right now, but obviously you have no idea how a business runs or how to run a business. Keep driving that truck, truck driver.

Last year we had part timers wanting to do seasonal work but weren't allowed because the company abused the pvds.

This I agree with. Part timers should have first shot at PVD work, even if it only 3 or 4 hours per day.

How is it right to take work away from union members who want it and give it to scabs?

The PVD's are dues paying seasonal workers. They are the same as jumpers or extra part timers hired for peak. Are jumpers and extra part time workers scabs also?

Then the company should have done their damn job and had package cars made.

You don't get it. That does not make business sense. I can't blame the Company. Their business plan of using rentals every year has been very effective. The Union agreed to PVD's. A seasonal package car driver using his own vehicle instead of a supplied rental. What's the difference?

We have had the same 7-8 rentals since last year, with the amount of money the company is paying for them each month they could have easily built at least 5 package cars.

Again, you don't get it. The chip shortage has been going on for over a year. They cannot get package cars made, or tractors. We have been using tractor rentals also. We were told it would be well into next year before we could get any new tractors or package cars due to the chip shortage. We normally get new tractors and package cars every year. We haven't had any new ones since last year.

The company will always find ways not to invest in updating centers and manufacturing package cars because they are all about "doing more with less".

Do you really think they want to use these rentals year round? They cannot get new vehicles. And "doing more with less" makes business sense. But, there is a fine line about how much more with how much less. This is where the Union comes in. So far, haven't heard a whole lot from them.

How about when the rentals just sit because of a flat tire or another mechanical issue? Or the keys get lost? Sit there for weeks because management doesn't know anything about it. You can't make this stuff up.

No, you can't make this stuff up. We had a rental sit on property the entire peak, not moved, because they could not find the keys. No effort to contact the rental company for a spare.