No more PVDs?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Yes, I know. How much did UPS pay them under the table, on top of the dues?

Who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just folded without any bribes. But that’s above my pay grade. Word at my local is no PVDs this peak. Center manager says otherwise. Should be interesting.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just folded without any bribes. But that’s above my pay grade. Word at my local is no PVDs this peak. Center manager says otherwise. Should be interesting.
Same. I will file a grievance for every pvd I see every day since the company would be maliciously going against an arbitration ruling if they hire any pvds. Some people in my local are in the process of getting a strike authorization if the company tries to use pvds. I doubt the local will authorize a strike, but we have to do something because these subcontracted scabs cannot be allowed.

Same. I will file a grievance for every pvd I see every day since the company would be maliciously going against an arbitration ruling if they hire any pvds. Some people in my local are in the process of getting a strike authorization if the company tries to use pvds. I doubt the local will authorize a strike, but we have to do something because these subcontracted scabs cannot be allowed.
I think it's going to be a long peak my friend

Rack em

Made the Podium
I think it's going to be a long peak my friend
I don't care if I max out my 60 hours every week this peak. It's better than letting the company establish an alternate work force. Working late during December has always been a part of this job, we don't need to work 8 hour days and have a ton of scabs take the rest of our work. Yeah it's nice not getting home late during peak, but pvds are not the answer. The company can hire seasonal employees to drive package cars. Out of package cars? Yeah every center has been for years because the company doesn't spend the money to get us the package cars we need to deliver the volume we get year round. The company made a HUGE profit in the first quarter which could have paid for a lot of package cars. Plus they still have plenty of time to get the rentals needed for peak volume.

I don't care if I max out my 60 hours every week this peak. It's better than letting the company establish an alternate work force. Working late during December has always been a part of this job, we don't need to work 8 hour days and have a ton of scabs take the rest of our work. Yeah it's nice not getting home late during peak, but pvds are not the answer. The company can hire seasonal employees to drive package cars. Out of package cars? Yeah every center has been for years because the company doesn't spend the money to get us the package cars we need to deliver the volume we get year round. The company made a HUGE profit in the first quarter which could have paid for a lot of package cars. Plus they still have plenty of time to get the rentals needed for peak volume.
If we had somebody different in office I don't think we would have had this PVD problem

ManInBrown

preloader2driver said:
The same guys that hate PVDs are the same guys that complain about excessive work and excessive OT during peak. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️ I knew going into this career I would be a slave during peak so the work and hrs don’t bother me.

I can’t find this comment to quote it correctly but do you realize what you’re saying makes no sense. Anyone that hates excessive work would love PVD’s. I hated it but I had a sack and work ethic. I handled things the right way, by shoving 9.5 grievances up their arse. Doesn’t change the fact that if I was still in package I would despise PVD’s. There’s a way to relieve someone’s workday, Dispatch properly. I would have no interest in handing off work to some idiot driving a Prius, when all they would do is cause me even more work because chances are half the stuff would be misdelivered and I’d have 20 driver follow ups everyday.

preloader2driver said:
The same guys that hate PVDs are the same guys that complain about excessive work and excessive OT during peak. 🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️ I knew going into this career I would be a slave during peak so the work and hrs don’t bother me.

I can’t find this comment to quote it correctly but do you realize what you’re saying makes no sense. Anyone that hates excessive work would love PVD’s. I hated it but I had a sack and work ethic. I handled things the right way, by shoving 9.5 grievances up their arse. Doesn’t change the fact that if I was still in package I would despise PVD’s. There’s a way to relieve someone’s workday, Dispatch properly. I would have no interest in handing off work to some idiot driving a Prius, when all they would do is cause me even more work because chances are half the stuff would be misdelivered and I’d have 20 driver follow ups everyday.
No the company needs to start negotiating with the union and not just doing as they please.
That's the problem

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
UPS: let's just call that 12 hr day an 8.2 hr day. That will solve everything. It has worked for years.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Last peak was a breeze......had to work Saturdays but home by 6:30 every night. A ton of PVD's were hired.They found a way where they could hire PVD's and not pay us OT.
I am in the minority here. Personally, I’d rather they use a PVD fleet during peak than not. Why would I want to work 60+ hours a week and not see my wife and kids? Especially when we don’t have enough RPCD’s, preload/utility “drivers”never actually want to drive. We are allowed 27 pvd’s this year here with the 30 something full time drivers we currently have. You do the math. We’d be fooqed in * without any pvd help.
1632802170398.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

intel wild

I am in the minority here. Personally, I’d rather they use a PVD fleet during peak than not. Why would I want to work 60+ hours a week and not see my wife and kids? Especially when we don’t have enough RPCD’s, preload/utility “drivers”never actually want to drive. We are allowed 27 pvd’s this year here with the 30 something full time drivers we currently have. You do the math. We’d be fooqed in our gaping butts without any pvd help. View attachment 353800
i actually agree with you....(during peak only)....

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
All I know is, every driver I've encountered has been happy to have the use of a pvd to help in their work load. And, has never related any horror stories that have been mentioned in this thread. That's not to say it doesn't happen, it just hasn't been an issue in our hub.

ManInBrown

All I know is, every driver I've encountered has been happy to have the use of a pvd to help in their work load. And, has never related any horror stories that have been mentioned in this thread. That's not to say it doesn't happen, it just hasn't been an issue in our hub.
Of course because most don’t have a sack, and most just want their day made easier by any means necessary. That’s why hourlies are going to have a big problem on their hands in the future. Younger generation just wants life as easy as possible and they don’t care what route is taken to accomplish that. That’s not the way it should ever work at this company. There’s a process that should be followed.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am in the minority here. Personally, I’d rather they use a PVD fleet during peak than not. Why would I want to work 60+ hours a week and not see my wife and kids? Especially when we don’t have enough RPCD’s, preload/utility “drivers”never actually want to drive. We are allowed 27 pvd’s this year here with the 30 something full time drivers we currently have. You do the math. We’d be * without any pvd help. View attachment 353800
Your post literally says why they shouldn’t be allowed. Or strictly limited. You have almost a 50/50 split. That’s crazy!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Commercial Inside Release

PVD Watch
Current PVD Job Openings
These ads are for multiple PVDs in a town or area.
Quite a few states in the central region, too.
Looks like UPS plans to do whatever it wants.

In many areas of the Central during the last two peak seasons, part-time union drivers were sent home with minimum hours, while PVDs would be working 6-12hr days. Looks like the nightmare continues again, and each of us will lose another $25-35k. (Most of the Central is comprised of Right to Work states, so the PVDs are not paying dues.)

UPS is doubling down with the purchase of Roadie, rather than backing off. Ignoring what is going on, means you will be next.

Last edited: