No more PVDs?

Big Rigger

This pandemic has changed everything worldwide. This coming Contract has to adapt to what is going on in the labor markets, at UPS the concept of getting cheap young expendable part timers are gone. Just read on this site that they are forced to raise the starting part time hourly rate to 26 bucks an hour in some areas and are still not keeping people.

Another factor is the diversity angle... how are these Companies going to fill their projected quotas when most of the positions at UPS are designed to physically destroy your bodies before 25 years of service. Currently in our center we have about 100 package car drivers out if that we only have 3 that are women and they have less than 3 years seniority. These out dated production standards and the need for operational level management to get those numbers in order to look good on paper are obsolete, besides that climbing the corporate ladder has nothing to do in how good you are, besides those positions are slow being eliminated for good reasons.

Whoever gets in with the Union election has to totally rewrite the 2018 contract, changes are a coming. It is very important that every member votes no matter who you are favoring, it does send a message to the Company and it does empower our negotiating committees if they feel that there is a rank and file mandate in place.
This pandemic has lined the company's profit margin and the stock doubled in price in about 12 months. I haven't looked at it in the last four months but with the increased net revenue the drivers in our area have been hammered and all the part timers get is more exclusion due to PVD abuse? Feel the love.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What do you expect? There is an estimated 5 million package overage per what can be delivered per day this peak by all delivery companies. People do not want to work due to the excessive benefits and stimulus they are receiving from the Federal Government. UPS wages, despite what people spew and vomit and bitch about on this forum, are very competitive with the industry. Try getting OT after 5 hours at Amazon, lol.

We need any and all available people, rentals, cars, etc. for this peak. I am watching driver trainees quit after 1 week or get DQ'd because they are rushed through or get into a silly accident. Or they think their car will be loaded like in "Clarksville" with 20 total stops per day, all 1 lb envelopes and boxes.

This job is very difficult as the new generation of workers expect everything for doing nothing. And afterward they want to be told how great they are and everything is wonderful with them. These are the realities that UPS (and the Union) are facing trying to bring on 100k plus seasonal and permanent workers in a 3 month window. It is quite a S* show to watch - more so this year with the stimulus cash than in recent history. Tie in the fact that there is no HR office or personnel in many hubs now due to consolidation and downsizing, and it is a real joke to see why hiring personnel and getting them trained is a disaster at UPS.

Maybe this is the year UPS sees it needs to change for the future in terms of staffing the operation. I'm not holding my breath. In any case, I am ready to go out with a full car and do my job. If S* can't be delivered, it's on them, not me.
Better not bigger

Brownslave688

(Better and Bigger) sounds like a better deal.

Shouldn’t that be our goal? 🤔
Not to someone like carol. Growth and spending because of high volume low margin shippers is wasted effort to her. She wants to stretch this operation to the brink. Squeeze everything she can out of it.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Not to someone like carol. Growth and spending because of high volume low margin shippers is wasted effort to her. She wants to stretch this operation to the brink. Squeeze everything she can out of it.

I see this “Better not Bigger” concept as a good excuse to eliminate fat on the corporate levels.

The deal to sell UPS freight was probably set into motion prior to the 2018 contract ratification. The increase in volume, and revenues has nothing to do who occupies the CEO position, any claim to the contrary is unless bragging.

Watching the markets today and see what is happening, no one has control or predict on the future.

Brownslave688

I see this “Better not Bigger” concept as a good excuse to eliminate fat on the corporate levels.

The deal to sell UPS freight was probably set into motion prior to the 2018 contract ratification. The increase in volume, and revenues has nothing to do who occupies the CEO position, any claim to the contrary is unless bragging.

Watching the markets today and see what is happening, no one has control or predict on the future.
She has made comments publicly that she’d rather have lower volume shippers that have higher margins.
You don’t think the ceo can set some type of strategy for what volume we will take?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
She has made comments publicly that she’d rather have lower volume shippers that have higher margins.
You don’t think the ceo can set some type of strategy for what volume we will take?
The old way of “we’ll take it no matter what” has led to some SERIOUS overtime overhead; especially when you consider 9.5 grievances.
She seems to understand that you either:
Hire enough guys
Or
Take on less work
A very simple formula. We got milked for all we have over the last 18 months; and she sees the money that was left on the table; or better yet, the money that the company hemmoraged from OT; completely unnecessarily.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The old way of “we’ll take it no matter what” has led to some SERIOUS overtime overhead; especially when you consider 9.5 grievances.
Hire enough guys
Or
Take on less work
A very simple formula. We got milked for all we have over the last 18 months; and she sees the money that was left on the table; or better yet, the money that the company hemmoraged from OT; completely unnecessarily.
Overtime is not a new concept at UPS. Hope this helps.

Brownslave688

Hire enough guys
Or
Take on less work
The bigger problem I see is the amount of money that needs to be spent on facility upgrades.

PT Car Washer

The bigger problem I see is the amount of money that needs to be spent on facility upgrades.
At my building they just keep adding more of those mobile loading docks. We are at Peak levels all Summer long. Last Peak opened up a satellite facility at the airport. You can imagine the number of misloads with 2 centers 10 miles apart. And that was with a record number of PVD drivers. Good news is PT air drivers could be cashing $2k paychecks again.