No more PVDs?

PVD Scab

We hired absolutely 0 drivers all summer so alot of us have made a bunch of money on 9.5 grievances. But come the middle of August locally we are now on a hiring spree, (Saturday delivery here starts in October so this may be why), but we were also told by our BA that 22.4's cant be hired until we actually start delivering on Saturdays.

Nice, sounds like your management prepared for peak already.

BrownSnowFlake

So you enjoy willingly letting the company train your replacement just so you don’t have to work late? Smh
Read what I said a few posts up. My PVD driver gave me back a package bc the road was closed for construction. I walked 100 yards and delivered it myself. This wasn't a 70 lb leaf spring. It was little Amazon bubble mailer. These people are not our replacements.

Back From Break
I still remember back in the day when a business agent at a termination hearing would stand up and slam the contract book on a table and threatened a wild cat strike unless the member got their job back with back pay. In our building It was not uncommon to see a 24 strike notice posted every 3 months.

It never got that far here.

The newly elected Business Agent came to the Center Managers office to discuss a recent termination. The Business agent pulled his .45 pistol out of his jacket, set it on the Center Managers desk, and asked him if there was a problem..

We never had issues from that point on. @BigUnionGuy probably knows who I am talking about.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It never got that far here.

The newly elected Business Agent came to the Center Managers office to discuss a recent termination. The Business agent pulled his .45 pistol out of his jacket, set it on the Center Managers desk, and asked him if there was a problem..

We never had issues from that point on. @BigUnionGuy probably knows who I am talking about.
Sounds like a great way to conduct business

SMH

Whither

Scofflaw
Went the Local 41 meeting this morning. Our BAs are all on the same page: no PVDs. I've only skimmed the decision so far, but even if it does grant UPS latitude to solicit volunteers to drive their own cars, I doubt most people would choose that over driving a company vehicle. Then again, who knows.

Back From Break
Went the Local 41 meeting this morning. Our BAs are all on the same page: no PVDs. I've only skimmed the decision so far, but even if it does grant UPS latitude to solicit volunteers to drive their own cars, I doubt most people would choose that over driving a company vehicle. Then again, who knows.

The issue is that in order to drive a company vehicle, the PVD would need a DOT physical. We have some vehicles under 10,001 lbs, the cut-off for a CMV, but UPS probably could not guarantee what vehicle they may have to drive on a day to day basis.

If you're a PVD, you may elect to drive your own vehicle, getting paid expenses for it, and forego getting a DOT physical. Especially if you are just working for a couple of months a few hours a day to make extra money.

35years

Gravy route
If the arbitrator ruled they are package car drivers then wouldn't they be subject to/protected by all provisions in the national contract and supplements pertaining to package car drivers?

Think of all the possible conflicts between the way they are using pvds now vs how they have to use temporary peek package car drivers.

It seems the Union then would have a huge upper hand in negotiating a remedy. IF they decide to use the advantage.

They want to use the pvds/temp drivers during peek? Apply 9.5 language during peek, no more 70 hour rule, and no forced 6th punch.

Last edited:

Back From Break
If the arbitrator ruled they are package car drivers then wouldn't they be subject to/protected by all provisions in the national contract and supplements pertaining to package car drivers?

It seems the Union then would have a huge upper hand in negotiating a remedy. IF they decide to use the advantage

They are seasonal, or probationary, or temporary, depending on the Supplement. They receive no benefits from the CBA except wages.

35years

Gravy route
They are seasonal, or probationary, or temporary, depending on the Supplement. They receive no benefits from the CBA except wages

Well if the language protecting drivers from using thier own car applies to temps/pvds....wouldn't other provisions...not benefits, but other language?

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
They had planned to roll out the pvds October 1st.

I assume (until the defined peek period) any laid off package driver or air driver who is not offered ground driving work could grieve thier hours.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
They had planned to roll out the pvds October 1st.

I assume (until the defined peek period) any laid off package driver or air driver who is not offered ground driving work could grieve thier hours.

The way they are digging up bodies to fill these entry positions there shouldn’t be any lay offs anywhere.

Iamsomebody

It's just that once you let the company push aside members that would like a full time package car job it's hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
They wanted to use them this summer during the free period too. That got shut down at least in the Central Region to my understanding.
They'll do a lot of things to get around hiring permanent full time pkg car drivers.
But we're talking about peak. How would it benefit the company or the union if they hired a bunch of full time drivers only lay them off or let them go for the rest of the year. The union should be worried about getting better wages for the drivers they currently have. The fact that a new hire makes almost half what a top rate driver does with a 4 year profegression is pretty :censored2:ty if you ask me.

DELACROIX

But we're talking about peak. How would it benefit the company or the union if they hired a bunch of full time drivers only lay them off or let them go for the rest of the year. The union should be worried about getting better wages for the drivers they currently have. The fact that a new hire makes almost half what a top rate driver does with a 4 year profegression is pretty :censored2:ty if you ask me.

I guess they sort of tried last contract and couldn’t get it done...

It doesn’t help when the Company tells the Union to jump and they answer “How High”..

Heavy Package

UPS will say fuggit and use PVD's .The Union will posture and scream and nothing will change.

What do you expect? There is an estimated 5 million package overage per what can be delivered per day this peak by all delivery companies. People do not want to work due to the excessive benefits and stimulus they are receiving from the Federal Government. UPS wages, despite what people spew and vomit and bitch about on this forum, are very competitive with the industry. Try getting OT after 5 hours at Amazon, lol.

We need any and all available people, rentals, cars, etc. for this peak. I am watching driver trainees quit after 1 week or get DQ'd because they are rushed through or get into a silly accident. Or they think their car will be loaded like in "Clarksville" with 20 total stops per day, all 1 lb envelopes and boxes.

This job is very difficult as the new generation of workers expect everything for doing nothing. And afterward they want to be told how great they are and everything is wonderful with them. These are the realities that UPS (and the Union) are facing trying to bring on 100k plus seasonal and permanent workers in a 3 month window. It is quite a S* show to watch - more so this year with the stimulus cash than in recent history. Tie in the fact that there is no HR office or personnel in many hubs now due to consolidation and downsizing, and it is a real joke to see why hiring personnel and getting them trained is a disaster at UPS.

Maybe this is the year UPS sees it needs to change for the future in terms of staffing the operation. I'm not holding my breath. In any case, I am ready to go out with a full car and do my job. If S* can't be delivered, it's on them, not me.

vvv

Think of all the possible conflicts between the way they are using pvds now vs how they have to use temporary peek package car drivers.

It seems the Union then would have a huge upper hand in negotiating a remedy. IF they decide to use the advantage.

They want to use the pvds/temp drivers during peek? Apply 9.5 language during peek, no more 70 hour rule, and no forced 6th punch.
None of that would help or benefit me. :)

DELACROIX

What do you expect? There is an estimated 5 million package overage per what can be delivered per day this peak by all delivery companies. People do not want to work due to the excessive benefits and stimulus they are receiving from the Federal Government. UPS wages, despite what people spew and vomit and bitch about on this forum, are very competitive with the industry. Try getting OT after 5 hours at Amazon, lol.

We need any and all available people, rentals, cars, etc. for this peak. I am watching driver trainees quit after 1 week or get DQ'd because they are rushed through or get into a silly accident. Or they think their car will be loaded like in "Clarksville" with 20 total stops per day, all 1 lb envelopes and boxes.

This job is very difficult as the new generation of workers expect everything for doing nothing. And afterward they want to be told how great they are and everything is wonderful with them. These are the realities that UPS (and the Union) are facing trying to bring on 100k plus seasonal and permanent workers in a 3 month window. It is quite a S* show to watch - more so this year with the stimulus cash than in recent history. Tie in the fact that there is no HR office or personnel in many hubs now due to consolidation and downsizing, and it is a real joke to see why hiring personnel and getting them trained is a disaster at UPS.

Maybe this is the year UPS sees it needs to change for the future in terms of staffing the operation. I'm not holding my breath. In any case, I am ready to go out with a full car and do my job. If S* can't be delivered, it's on them, not me.

This pandemic has changed everything worldwide. This coming Contract has to adapt to what is going on in the labor markets, at UPS the concept of getting cheap young expendable part timers are gone. Just read on this site that they are forced to raise the starting part time hourly rate to 26 bucks an hour in some areas and are still not keeping people.

Another factor is the diversity angle... how are these Companies going to fill their projected quotas when most of the positions at UPS are designed to physically destroy your bodies before 25 years of service. Currently in our center we have about 100 package car drivers out if that we only have 3 that are women and they have less than 3 years seniority. These out dated production standards and the need for operational level management to get those numbers in order to look good on paper are obsolete, besides that climbing the corporate ladder has nothing to do in how good you are, besides those positions are slow being eliminated for good reasons.

Whoever gets in with the Union election has to totally rewrite the 2018 contract, changes are a coming. It is very important that every member votes no matter who you are favoring, it does send a message to the Company and it does empower our negotiating committees if they feel that there is a rank and file mandate in place.

Big Rigger

How would it benefit the part time teamsters who waited their turn in line for a ft driving job and during the free period were bumped out of driving because the subcontracting PVDs at peak were basically then slotted in to cover vacations in their personal vehicles?

Are were going to make them 22.5s in 2023?

Dude, I'm not thinking that you are a union member. There is a contract and both sides signed it. Don't be a troll.