No more PVDs?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The ones that want to "hurt" the company because they hate management are the ones that are screaming for a strike here if PVDs are used.
Until they panic when no paychecks come in. Oops, my new pickup is getting repo'd! Guess I should have saved a few bucks?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
UPS will say fuggit and use PVD's .The Union will posture and scream and nothing will change.

That is all they do now a days..

Last time that they were proactive was in 1997.

I still remember back in the day when a business agent at a termination hearing would stand up and slam the contract book on a table and threatened a wild cat strike unless the member got their job back with back pay. In our building It was not uncommon to see a 24 strike notice posted every 3 months.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Two helpers per driver. Screw an extra seat to the bulkhead door.

I believe that at the 2018 negotiations the Union’s original proposal was a new classification of a two person delivery of strictly irregulars in a panel van. Made too much sense so it didn’t cut the mustard, they settled for the 22.4’s instead.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I still remember back in the day when a business agent at a termination hearing would stand up and slam the contract book on a table and threatened a wild cat strike unless the member got their job back with back pay. In our building It was not uncommon to see a 24 strike notice posted every 3 months.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

When I was a newbie (part-time loader) my first business agent was from Roadway.

It was so much fun....

35years

Gravy route
I think Carol better ramp up that better not bigger strategy.

Vollume restraints for all shippers during peak if no PVDs are used.

Yeah right....Hoffa caves.

35years

Gravy route
So the lame duck Teamster administration will be negotiating a "remedy".

Oh, and just as UPS gears up for peek by hiring thousands of pvds, and mentions them at every pcm for 2 weeks.

How convenient the timing is....almost as if UPS and the Union planned it this way.

Last edited:

Big Rigger

These newly classified (package care drivers) can drive company vehicles or rentals, just never deliver out of their own personal vehicles.

What will be their starting hourly rate and will they be paying union dues?

There was talk about corporate getting into the same day delivery business..I guess they have to figure a way by using collective bargaining employees.

Is there any language in the Master or Supplements that allows temporary non union ex-PVDs anyway, and how did they get into our buildings over the last two years?
The company bought another company to deliver pkgs similar to ride share. Read the ups news.
Pkg car driver rates are posted in the contract.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I just read most of the arbitration ruling and it isn't as big of a win for the union as it's being made out. The union was favored in ONE article, but lost like 5 others. The big one I would have liked to see won was the issue of subcontracting since pvds are definitely a form of subcontracting! The arbitrator found the union didn't provide enough evidence to support article 32, that is not good. The only thing in the unions favor is article 26 about being forced to use personal vehicles. Since the company specified in the job listing they would have to use their own vehicle, that's why the arbitrator ruled in our favor. So all the company has to do is change the wording in the job listing to say seasonal drivers could opt to use their own personal vehicle or be supplied with a ups package car or rental truck.

It sounded like a win, but we really lost that arbitration case because of current contract language!!! We need specific language on the use of these scab ass pvds in the next contract. I would rather not see another pvd deliver ever again, but we all know the union will cave and allow some use of them. I would like to see language that 1. ONLY allows the use of pvds in the month of December alone. 2. Limit the amount of pvds the company is allowed to use. 3. Limits the amount of work AND hours the pvds are allowed. 4. RPCD's will have to agree to what areas of their bid route will be affected. 5. The company pays DOUBLE the pension contributions and union dues for every pvd used.

Iamsomebody

Can someone help me understand why people are so against pvds. I don't see how it's any different than hiring a bunch of seasonal drivers apart from saving the company money on providing vehicles.

Big Rigger

Can someone help me understand why people are so against pvds. I don't see how it's any different than hiring a bunch of seasonal drivers apart from saving the company money on providing vehicles.
It's just that once you let the company push aside members that would like a full time package car job it's hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
They wanted to use them this summer during the free period too. That got shut down at least in the Central Region to my understanding.
They'll do a lot of things to get around hiring permanent full time pkg car drivers.

PT Car Washer

In my Local the company had to use all of the PT air drivers to deliver ground while PVDs were being used. At top driver rate.

PVD Scab

It's just that once you let the company push aside members that would like a full time package car job it's hard to get the toothpaste back in the tube.
They wanted to use them this summer during the free period too. That got shut down at least in the Central Region to my understanding.
They'll do a lot of things to get around hiring permanent full time pkg car drivers.

I remember this Feb or March there were packages being PAL'd with route labled PVD1 and PVD2 and set off to the side during pre-load. Only saw this a couple days.

One time when I was on my packet in June I saw a PVD from last peak at the center loading his car.

Central region. Not sure if they actually got shut down or if they just didn't need them a bunch at our center.

Big Rigger

I remember this Feb or March there were packages being PAL'd with route labled PVD1 and PVD2 and set off to the side during pre-load. Only saw this a couple days.

One time when I was on my packet in June I saw a PVD from last peak at the center loading his car.

Central region. Not sure if they actually got shut down or if they just didn't need them a bunch at our center.
It was shut down.
That's the problem. Give the company an inch.

iowa boy

PVD's were shut down here in the central. We hired absolutely 0 drivers all summer so alot of us have made a bunch of money on 9.5 grievances. But come the middle of August locally we are now on a hiring spree, (Saturday delivery here starts in October so this may be why), but we were also told by our BA that 22.4's cant be hired until we actually start delivering on Saturdays. So this whole mess will be fun to watch as we are not telling any of our new hires that they may potentially working every Saturday.

Remember, communication is the key to success.