No pay for the snow day

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Hey when you come back to work. Slow down and get paid. Help your buddy out take stops of them. You will make this up some where down the road.
Well we are making up the day off from Tuesday with 10.5 hours yesterday and 11.5 hours today, probably 11 day tomorrow, so I will hold my 1 sick day for a nice day before May 1st

Poop Head

Judge me.
my friend.
66582_0.jpg

PT Car Washer

Not sure how automotive works, but I'd bet yes. We had a package car with a new engine put in second to last week of last month, but they wouldn't let us put it in service again until March so the cost was allocated to this month.
Also a good excuse to load drivers up with stops because we are short of package cars?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
piss or no piss, im more of a bran flake kinda guy at this stage and id like to make the decision on whether i get paid 4 days or 5 in any particular week for any particular reason. i wasnt coming in regardless, but i save a few days for snow every year. its a $200 paycut for next week that i was not planning or expecting for a ridiculous reason.
if you have been working here for 27 years and $200 is going to break you , then something sounds wrong there.

It has happened to me several times and i was happy to have a 4 day week. the smaller paycheck did not hurt us at all. we were always prepared for a rainy day. ( snowy day in this case )

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I think just about everyone would. What I was getting at was it was a golden opportunity for management to get some of those paid day offs burned up and they blew it. They deserve to have it bite them in the ass at a later date.
exactly right! they were always trying to get us to cash out sick days. it pissed them off that I banked the maximum and before i retired took every monday off and sometimes tuesday until they were all used up .

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
if you have been working here for 27 years and $200 is going to break you , then something sounds wrong there.

my god people its not about whether i starve next week or lose my house or get the lights and heat turned off! jeez its the principle. anyhoo... problem seams to have been resolved and i was told we are to let the manager know if i want to use sick/personal day and it has to be put in as an adjustment due to Tuesday being a non operational day. couple extra clicks of the mouse i guess. i can breathe easy now and not have to worry that i might have had to eat my dog. thanx to everyone for there assumption on my irresponsible poverty and your sound financial advice. night all!
:its_all_good:

J

jibbs

I didn't see once where the OP stated anything about not having enough to pay his bills cause he's getting shorted one day. So where did this come from?

Rough quote: My pockets are hurting because I was forced a single unpaid day.

There's an inference to be drawn from the entire original post (and that rough quote specifically), and just to be clear, Johney-boy, an inference is a different beast altogether than an assumption.

I'd be happy to break down the post for you with legit notations and everything if you're still having trouble with the reasoning behind my postings. I don't have :censored2: to do for another hour and a half and it would probably remind me of my TA days in college, so it really wouldn't be a bother at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my god people its not about whether i starve next week or lose my house or get the lights and heat turned off! jeez its the principle. anyhoo... problem seams to have been resolved and i was told we are to let the manager know if i want to use sick/personal day and it has to be put in as an adjustment due to Tuesday being a non operational day. couple extra clicks of the mouse i guess. i can breathe easy now and not have to worry that i might have had to eat my dog. thanx to everyone for there assumption on my irresponsible poverty and your sound financial advice. night all!
thank GOD!!!!!!!!! I was losing sleep over your situation.

there are more important things for you to worry bout.

Johney

I'd be happy to break down the post for you with legit notations and everything if you're still having trouble with the reasoning behind my postings. I don't have :censored2: to do for another hour and a half and it would probably remind me of my TA days in college, so it really wouldn't be a bother at all.
That would be so nice of you to take your time and explain it more thoroughly to me. Please don't be offended if I don't respond right away with any more questions as I have to go back and catch so more ZZZZ's I'm working a "5th" report tonight for around 11 to 12 hours(all O/T). I will thank you ASAP.

J

jibbs

Turns out my replies were directly to someone who was not the OP. I managed to confuse usernames, but the overall theme still applies-- and sure, breakdown coming up:

This is my first snow season here [Excessive and irrelevant. The point is that you don't have the money you wish you did, not that you're brand new. Focus on your theme as there should only be one.] I don't make what you old timers make. [Irrelevant, but if intent on keeping in final copy merge this sentence and the next: i.e. "--old timers make, but loosing--"] Loosing a days pay hurts my pocket. [Vague. More information needed. Specifically, WHY do your "pockets hurt" after a single unpaid day?]

I was really expecting to do it with the OP though, Johney-boy, but when I went to it I realized I wasn't directly conversing with him throughout the entire thread. If those're the notations you wanted, just say the word, brutha.

[EDIT: @LongIslandNewbie Please take no offense here, man. I'm not personally attacking you or your writing style or anything, and I apologize if this post offends you as I'm truly not trying to bash on anybody. A li'l somebody called me out and I'm the type to follow through when that happens.]

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jibbs

Ahhhh you know what, I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyways. Pre-apology to @just chillin' , this is not an attack on you in any way, shape or form, simply a response to another poster altogether.

I was told yesterday when i came in that we can not use a sick or personal day for Tuesdays snow closure. everyone is to be coded 26 scheduled day off no pay. that has to be the most ridiculous payroll decision i have yet seen in my 27+ years. some pissing match about contract language between the company and union. this is in NY local 804. i skimmed through both the international and my local supplement and could not find anything pertaining to emergency closures and payroll decisions. i for one am not looking forward to a short paycheck next week when i have days left! what are they doing for you guys in other areas?

^^[Beautiful! Grammar and punctuation need work, but the message was clear, close to concise and included all information needed for someone to be able to offer advice with your situation without having to milk you for more information.]^^

piss or no piss, im more of a bran flake kinda guy at this stage and id like to make the decision on whether i get paid 4 days or 5 in any particular week for any particular reason[Management isn't entitled to give you anything if an Act of God is the reasoning behind your issue]. i wasnt coming in regardless [Cut. Makes the entire situation appear meaningless], but i save a few days for snow every year. its a $200 paycut for next week that i was not planning or expecting for a ridiculous reason.

not asking to be paid for free... just want to burn a day i got in the bank! [Technically contradictory. Consider revision.]

its ups taking the decision out of my hands and making it for me that has me :censored2: off [100% Agreeable, elaborate if possible on how this has hindered your capabilities to provide for yourself and/or family]

i knew it was a mistake to mention dollar amounts as soon as i posted. sorry about that [Cut apology. The truth is the truth and one should not apologize for stating it.]

J

jibbs

Make sure they click that mouse, bro. Stay on 'em about it (not harassment-style, just constant friendly reminders). Something about squeaky wheels getting greased up first or somethin' like that?

And yeah, I get you on the principle thing. UPS does shady :censored2: like this with payroll decisions often enough that I'm pretty confident in calling them consistent with it.

You're welcome for the advice. :thumbup:

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Ahhhh you know what, I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyways. Pre-apology to @just chillin' , this is not an attack on you in any way, shape or form, simply a response to another poster altogether.

^^[Beautiful! Grammar and punctuation need work, but the message was clear, close to concise and included all information needed for someone to be able to offer advice with your situation without having to milk you for more information.]^^
Lmfao A+ post

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

did you forget to take your meds?