Non Union Technical to Tractor/Feeder Driver

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Rod Dev, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

I have been employed with UPS since 2014, I am currently on a non-union technical role. I want to grow with UPS but it seems only the union staff is growing. I had no idea a union existed prior to being hired. I would like to become a feeder driver. I will get my CDL in the next few months. I asked management about the "bid list" and they stated I would need to be Union. Now I am not union since I am on a technical role. What would you guys recommend given my current situation. How do I become a Feeder Driver? I know it will not be quick and I am willing to wait as long as I have to. I just don't know how to go about it. Do I need to quit and come back in as union or can I transfer to or apply to the list even though I am not Union? Please let me know any input is appreciated.

2. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

drive it straight

3. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

What does that mean?

4. Jkloc420

might have to quit and join the union

5. Jkloc420

6. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

and come back as what position?

7. Jkloc420

sometimes they hire outside help

8. Coldworld

Coldworld Bad mall cop...no donut!!!

Yep... but if you are in a location that is hiring dozens of drivers you could be put on fast....

9. Jkloc420

i dont know what you mean by non technical

10. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

I dont think I can afford to quit

11. Jkloc420

I'm not trying to be a feeder the guy above is. He is asking what he needs to do. That as far has i can get him

12. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

I am currently a technician for UPS which is a non union role

13. Jkloc420

in order to bid for union jobs, you have to be union. Now sometimes they hire outside help for drivers and stuff. However i dont know if that apply to feeders to

14. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

So I can't be a feeder at all then.....
    I cannot quit as I cannot afford it.

15. Jkloc420

you have to find the union person at your work and ask him or her what you need to do

16. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

I have no idea who they are lol. I will ask

17. Jkloc420

good

18. Redtag

Redtag Part on order

What kind of tech are you? Our automotive and building mechanics are union, I am in IAM. Are you a TSG employee?

19. Rod Dev

Rod Dev New Member

20. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

The best way is to make your intentions known to HR and the feeder manager. They may allow you to work as a seasonal driver. Then they may hire you permanent.
    Also read the local union contract for how hiring is conducted. It is different across the country