Not cut out for this Loading Life

ChrisTheBrown

Sunday was the start of my 3rd week with UPS in Oklahoma City. I was hired as a package handler on the midnight shift. I thought I was in pretty good shape. I was an athlete up until college. I'm 26 now and I took this job just for extra pay on the side because I do have a full time job. Honestly, I don't think my body can handle it. I don't want to quit. I'm trying to stay focused on the big picture. It was recommended that I take the sort test to move over to the sort aisle. I got the study guide last night and I have no clue how to even begin studying. I know something has to give but I'm not a quitter. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement, motivation?? Anything is appreciated!!

You're in OKC?! Go at it like Westbrook, & those vicious ninja turtle dunks!

wayfair

swollen member
Sunday was the start of my 3rd week with UPS in Oklahoma City. I was hired as a package handler on the midnight shift. I thought I was in pretty good shape. I was an athlete up until college. I'm 26 now and I took this job just for extra pay on the side because I do have a full time job. Honestly, I don't think my body can handle it. I don't want to quit. I'm trying to stay focused on the big picture. It was recommended that I take the sort test to move over to the sort aisle. I got the study guide last night and I have no clue how to even begin studying. I know something has to give but I'm not a quitter. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement, motivation?? Anything is appreciated!!

what pd are you loading?

KOG72

I’m full of it
Man that first day I started I didn't think I was going to make it but I did one thing that helped me out when I started ,was I always brought a Coleman jug full of Kool-Aid.Totally different day on the second day.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Finish the drill. I was 31 when I started; worked 12.5 years on the preload, with a full time job during the day. Will retire soon.

Finish the drill

BigD Bri

Myself, coming to the end of my second week loading. Older guy, have a full time job that's physical (that I'm gonna smile*can when peak starts). Honestly, I don't feel too bad. It's not easy by any stretch, but I've done more physically demanding work.. Mentally for me, I suppose it's a little easier because I'm not just here to earn extra cash. I'm here to be a driver, and I think it helps in keeping your mind right if promotion is your motivation. If you are just looking for a way to put an extra couple hundred bucks a week in your pocket, I'm sure there are easier ways..

snarts

Not the responses you thought you would get OP. They don't take kindly to whining on here.

Anyway you have to decide what your motivation is benefits, etc. This job is not for everyone. It's a very physical job but definitely a lot of mental. If you really want it, hang a little longer and you can do it.

Good luck

BTW I'm on week 8

Take her words with a grain of salt. She is a female and more likely than not has been given the easiest crap to do.

LS Nerd

Just remember that you've already done this 2 weeks. That's 10 days. What's one more? Just take it day by day! You just have to look back and be like 'Of course I can do this. I've -been- doing this. It's not even a question.'
Try listening to music as you do it, get some earbuds so you can have one ear in and the other ear open for if someone speaks to you.

snarts

Ahhh....then please...enlighten me. Tell me how easy my decade at ups has been because i have breasts.

I'm listening....

The only female driver on my boxline has the lightest route.
The only female loader on my boxline loads the lightest sets. (still gets more misloads than anyone else)
The ratio of female supervisors to female loaders is way off when compared to male sups to male loaders.
Most of the females hired get sent to small sorts and even then UPS has trouble keeping them.

Listen I'm sure you do the best with what you are given. But don't deny that females don't have it easier here in UPS when compared to a male. You are just here to fulfill a quota.

Also let me just add that the one female supervisor that we had never wanted get her hands dirty and was so useless that my full time sup got rid of her.

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

The only female driver on my boxline has the lightest route.
The only female loader on my boxline loads the lightest sets. (still gets more misloads than anyone else)
The ratio of female supervisors to female loaders is way off when compared to male sups to male loaders.
Most of the females hired get sent to small sorts and even then UPS has trouble keeping them.

Listen I'm sure you do the best with what you are given. But don't deny that females don't have it easier here in UPS when compared to a male. You are just here to fulfill a quota.
Although there are exceptions, for the most part you are on the money.