Nys teamsters pension & retirement fund

upschuck

The union is here to negotiate what WE WANT. Without us the union does not exist.

Getting away from this is why Hoffa needed Canada to squeak out a victory in the general election.
I highly doubt that the general union population would want a 401k contribution instead of a pension. Look at the blowback when management went to 401k contribution instead of pension.

oldngray

nowhere special
I highly doubt that the general union population would want a 401k contribution instead of a pension. Look at the blowback when management went to 401k contribution instead of pension.

Starting from scratch most would probably prefer the 401k. The problem is when they already have years invested in a pension.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The younger the workers the more likely they are to accept it.

As they watch pension after pension fall or make serious cuts they will realize there's no real guarantee you'll have your pension.

Brownslave688

Starting from scratch most would probably prefer the 401k. The problem is when they already have years invested in a pension.
Yep. 10 years in and I'd still give up all of my accrued pension for that money to go into my 401k.

Now another 10 years in and that won't be so easy a choice.

A pension is simply never going to touch the return on investment a 401k can.

The company will put in on average at least 25k per year on my behalf for my career.

25k x 35 = 875,000

That's with 0% return. At 4K a month payout I'll have to live 18 years into retirement just to get my money back

Or I could retire with 2-3 million and have all of that money to do with as I please at 59.5.

It's a no brainer.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree with what you are saying. But you can still have other retirement accounts. If ups matched a portion of your 401k (which I believe is the worst retirement account, due to its rules). You would be lucky to get 10k a year.

You need to match apples to apples. Base your numbers on the amount you think ups will give you. I think 10k is fair.

10k x 35 years = 350,000 in contributions.

A properly run pension 26 years = $60k a year. Currently a 14.3% ROI.

More than twice the size ?

That would be beyond.... stupid.

In that case, you know what we have to do.

200_s.gif

Nobody is forcing you to work at UPS.

There are all kinds of jobs available.

Just name one.... with the same pay, benefits, and pension.

Here is a hint, there aren't many.

-Bug-
When did the central states pension start?

Brownslave688

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with what you are saying. But you can still have other retirement accounts. If ups matched a portion of your 401k (which I believe is the worst retirement account, due to its rules). You would be lucky to get 10k a year.

You need to match apples to apples. Base your numbers on the amount you think ups will give you. I think 10k is fair.

10k x 35 years = 350,000 in contributions.

A properly run pension 26 years = $60k a year. Currently a 14.3% ROI.
You have yet to make any points as to why 401k are so terrible.