Nys teamsters pension & retirement fund

He admitted that he and his wife had grown great wealth thru defined contribution plans.

Then proceeds to talk about how bad they are for "normal" people.

Is that not condescending to you?
I heard him say the pension works until you start fleecing from them.

rickyb

What he's saying is some of you are morons and don't deserve to handle your own money.
yea at the beginning he says specializations are much more efficient at performing work than everyone trying everything.

I always thought it was wierd as well making my own decisions about investments.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
yea at the beginning he says specializations are much more efficient at performing work than everyone trying everything.

I always thought it was wierd as well making my own decisions about investments.
But shouldn't we have a choice in who makes those decisions for us?

rickyb

But shouldn't we have a choice in who makes those decisions for us?
look man, im not an expert on this other than the number of workers with pensions is shrinking amidst record corporate profits. all i know is where to look to get some general answers.

david cay makes a good point that if you needed surgery, you shouldnt be the surgeon.

sometimes people shouldnt be left to their own decisions; like speed limits for example.

look man, im not an expert on this other than the number of workers with pensions is shrinking amidst record corporate profits. all i know is where to look to get some general answers.

david cay makes a good point that if you needed surgery, you shouldnt be the surgeon.

sometimes people shouldnt be left to their own decisions; like speed limits for example.
The biggest problems are is the math they use to calculate pensions.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's why you hire a professional if you're not comfortable doing it.

You choose your surgeon or plumber or roofer no?

It's not like they say oh you live on west street this is who you get.

rickyb

That's why you hire a professional if you're not comfortable doing it.

You choose your surgeon or plumber or roofer no?

It's not like they say oh you live on west street this is who you get.
yea im thinking of something else, the one where they match part of what you invest. i had that on the local railway

rickyb

Federal Treasury Department approves potential Teamster pension cuts

Not everyone favors the cuts.

Karen Friedman, policy director at the Washington, D.C.-based Pension Rights Center, believes the federal government should do more to backstop troubled pensions.

They favor cutting some large tax loopholes for the wealthy in order fund an account that could be tapped by various pensions worried about their futures.

She noted that the Treasury Department, after several years of saying “no” to pension cut plans, seems to shifting its stance. They recently approved a similar reduction plan for a Cleveland-based ironworkers union.

“There trend is going to be to approve these applications,” she said.