Obama the oil baron

brett636

I'm forecasting Rep's will gain a few seats more just by the opposing party's historical track record in off presidential election years, but not by biblical proportions many on the right are predicting. Just wishful thinking...

If by a few you mean a majority then you would be right.

moreluck

golden ticket member
About 30 weeks to go......Our memories are not that short-termed. I expect the people will show how disgusted they are with having this health bill rammed down their throats and will express that disgust with cleaning house (so to speak) at the polls. :peaceful:

klein

Für Meno :)
$100 oil by Oct. 1st 2010
$160 oil by Oct. 1st 2012
We will see $100 no doubt, very soon in the near future.
LOng term, it all depends on Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, and any future oil developments. And ofcourse, in which direction the US dollar goes.

If you really believe in such high oil prices, I suggest when and if you invest in Oil, do it using the Canadian Dollar, (also known as Petro Dollar).
The higher oil prices go up, so does the Canadian "petro" dollar.
Thats a fact. Do all the research you want on that. You can double dip earnings that way.

unionman

About 30 weeks to go......Our memories are not that short-termed. I expect the people will show how disgusted they are with having this health bill rammed down their throats and will express that disgust with cleaning house (so to speak) at the polls. :peaceful:

People are just as disgusted with the Republicans. They will gain some seats but they will not gain a majority especially since the Recession is over.

wkmac

Oil as a renewing resource? References, please. Is there some new theory of how oil came to be? I thought it was carbon-based life compressed over millions of years....if it is being created continuously, is the creation process faster than our usage rate?

It turns out Techgrrl that the answer to your good question on a new theory is yes and no. Yes it's new in the west or at least new in the since that we the people are beginning to hear of it but the other answer No is because in Russia this understanding that oil is renewable has been known for over half a century. In post 18 of this thread I linked this article (linked again for you) concerning peak oil and this Russian geologic theory that challenges western thought on the subject matter. To even prove the theory the Russians have in fact been finding oil in areas deemed unproductive under western geologic teachings.

Now to take it one step further, Cornell Professor emeritus Thomas Gold in 1999' published his eye opening work, "The Deep Hot Biosphere, The Myth of Fossile Fuels" which of course challenges the biogenic theory for the origins of oil. Google books has a review of this book and ironically it stops at page 38 where the chapter "The Origin of Petroleum, The Two Conflicting Theories" begins and the lone unfinished paragraph however IMO tells the tail of the bigger issue why we don't know the truth and that collution between industry and academia may be at play. Go to the book review link above, scroll down to page 38 and read it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Here is Gold's original paper published with the National Academy of Science in 1992' (influence for the later book) that discusses in more detail to your question on a new theory. In Gold's paper he discusses what is called "basement rock" formation and in googling that term in relation to oil, I'm surprised to learn of the many new oil finds in this type deep structure. As Professor Gold talks about deep life beyond the reach of sunlight and photosynthsis which are key to carbon creation and thus biogeneic process to oil, I watched a program last night on TV where they drained the oceans to explain what was at play and during the program they showed where in deep oceans beyond sunlight, they were finding coral and in various colors too. This coral defied the belief that in order to live and grow, coral needed sunlight so if coral can adapt in a new species to a purely chemical process beyond the need of photosynthesis, what does this further tell us about the Russian and now Professor Gold's suggestion that micro-chemical life might well be possible in deep earth depths and thus a source of renewable oil? It is an interesting question with an earthshaking possible answer.

Is there any evidence to support renewed oil in existing oilfields? Yes, right here in the good ole' USA off the coast of Louisiana on Eugene Island. In 1999' Christopher Copper, Staff Writer for the Wall Street Journal broke a story about this very thing taking place there. Trying to understand the deeper meaning of this in a biogeneic construct might prove problematic but if you consider a "deep earth" explanation then the solution seems more readily at hand but now you have a severe challenge to the whole idea of peak oil.

Hope that provides some starting basis or at least an introducton to the concept Techgrrrl.
:peaceful:

If we are at peak oil, how do we explain the many recent finds of oil in say Haiti, Venezuela or the Caspain as I linked in an earlier post? What about the many oil finds in the South China Sea or in Vietnam? Start googling and at first you may have to dig a bit but like wildcatting, you will strike oil and it will open your eyes. What you see above is only a very small tip of the iceberg so I hope this at least on a very basic level answers your question or at least gives basis for challenging the biogenic origin of oil in that oil is or might be renewable.

Here's a broader question to consider. If your currency is measured and linked to a commodity and that commodity is of limited supply, your currency will tend to hold a higher value. Pure supply and demand thing. If the commodity is say gold, the more gold, the less value the currency, the less gold the more value. In 71' when Bretton Woods collasped and Nixon closed the gold window for good, the US dollar becamed linked to the new commodity of the day, black gold or oil thus the term petro dollar. Now again using supply and demand, in whose interest is it to limit the global supply of oil and in whose interest is it to inflate that supply of oil? And who is being squeezed in the process?

Come On People THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diesel96

Hope that provides some starting basis or at least an introducton to the concept

Kmac, your untapped carbon-based cesspool of recyclable knowledge ceases to amaze...if ever on Jeopardy, convince Alex Trebek to give us a shout out...:salute:

No matter how many times you echo the Republican/ Fox News talking that the Democrats have "rammed health care reform down our throats" even though the American people don't want it.
That's just wrong! When there is a landslide triumph for a party as there was in November, 2008, for the victor to actually govern and legislate is not "ramming anything down anyone's throat." It is doing what the people asked you to do. Obama campaigned on this issue, and presumably that fact had not escaped the electorate's notice.
Just so we don't forget, if we sized the lower 48 states according to their population, this is what the Democratic victory looked like...

statepopredblue512_8e92c_0.png

If by a few you mean a majority then you would be right.

If the GOP really thought that the Dems could lose their majority, they would of kept their mouths shut and let the Dem's implode by themselves. The truth is--and it's obvious to anyone who thinks about it--Rep's know that passing health care reform helps the Dem's Party and they tried to keep that from happening with all their intentions to confuse the public and meaningless verbage like reconciliation equating to "jamming it through Congress".

moreluck

golden ticket member
Landslide triumph because Acorn was able to get every crack head out of their den to go vote.......some people were registered 72 times....like the Cleveland guy. It happened. We're all stuck with the results for now. Even Obama voters are disappointed in his performance.......don't deny that, because they've already done interviews and admitted it. Things are gonna change in Nov. No more Muslim president who bows to dictators.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Take a look at this and just remember elections in November 2010.

1. U.S.House & Senate have voted themselves $4,700 and $5,300 raises. They voted to NOT give you a SS. Cost of living raise in 2010 and 2011.
  2. Your Medicare premiums will go up $285..60 for the 2-years You will not get the 3% COLA: $660/yr. Your total 2-yr loss and cost is -$1,600 or -$3,200 for husband and wife. Over these same 2-years each Congress person will get $10,000 Do you feel SCREWED? Will they have your cost of drugs - doctor fees - local taxes - food, etc., increase?
  3. NO WAY. Congress received a raise and has better health and retirement benefits than you or I.

1. Why should they care about you?
  2. You never did anything about it in the past. You obviously are too stupid or don't care.
  3. Do you really think that Nancy, Harry, Chris, Charlie, Barnie, et al, care about you?

Send the message to these individuals --- “YOU'RE FIRED!”

In 2010 you will have a chance to get rid of the sitting Congress: up to 1/3 of the Senate and 100% of the House!

Make sure you're still mad in November 2010 and remind their replacements not to screw-up.

It is ok to forward this to your sphere of influence if you are finally tired of the abuse. Maybe it's time for Amendment 28 to the Constitution.

28th Amendment will be as follows:
"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .."

diesel96

Landslide triumph because Acorn was able to get every crack head out of their den to go vote.......some people were registered 72 times....like the Cleveland guy. It happened. We're all stuck with the results for now. Even Obama voters are disappointed in his performance.......don't deny that, because they've already done interviews and admitted it. Things are gonna change in Nov. No more Muslim president who bows to dictators.

....While I'm going to lay off the subliminal message embedded in this post, and also the difference between voter registration fraud and voter fraud credited to Acorn by it's haters, I'm still trying to sort out this perspective that Obama is a Muslim, yet he sat in Rev Wright's Christian pew for twenty years listening to the "Chickens have come home to roost" and "Hate Whitey" rantings....LOL....Now which faith is he ?....shall we call his Grandma, you know, the one who "enquiring minds" says "he was born in Kenya" to clear this up ?.......Nevermind, we'll ask "The Birthers"....For some show-n-tell reason, I'm begining to think "Crack Heads" are more saner than Rt Wing Think Tank voters....lol

klein

....While I'm going to lay off the subliminal message embedded in this post, and also the difference between voter registration fraud and voter fraud credited to Acorn by it's haters, I'm still trying to sort out this perspective that Obama is a Muslim, yet he sat in Rev Wright's Christian pew for twenty years listening to the "Chickens have come home to roost" and "Hate Whitey" rantings....LOL....Now which faith is he ?....shall we call his Grandma, you know, the one who "enquiring minds" says "he was born in Kenya" to clear this up ?.......Nevermind, we'll ask "The Birthers"....For some show-n-tell reason, I'm begining to think "Crack Heads" are more saner than Rt Wing Think Tank voters....lol

Besides Religion, you forgot to add his political views, that the Rights can't get right ! LOL
Which one is it ? :

images
OR
images

Must be somewhere in the middle LOL
And must be something in the Tea they drink !

Blizzard

People are just as disgusted with the Republicans. They will gain some seats but they will not gain a majority especially since the Recession is over.

I'm sure the 8 million people who have lost their jobs will be relieved to know the recession is over.

Blizzard

crack heads do seem to have their prioritys set straight. Liberals tend to give us huge government spending programs when the economy needs fixing.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

We will see $100 no doubt, very soon in the near future.
LOng term, it all depends on Iran, Iraq, Afganistan, and any future oil developments. And ofcourse, in which direction the US dollar goes.

If you really believe in such high oil prices, I suggest when and if you invest in Oil, do it using the Canadian Dollar, (also known as Petro Dollar).
The higher oil prices go up, so does the Canadian "petro" dollar.
Thats a fact. Do all the research you want on that. You can double dip earnings that way.

Shorted oil from 110-130 levels to the 30's, Went long in the 40's . Closing half the position @ 90. The US consumes 25 barrels per person. China 2 per person. India .9 per person....How will the world keep up with demand? Fundamentally oil is going higher. It won't be a green back play any longer.

klein

Shorted oil from 110-130 levels to the 30's, Went long in the 40's . Closing half the position @ 90. The US consumes 25 barrels per person. China 2 per person. India .9 per person....How will the world keep up with demand? Fundamentally oil is going higher. It won't be a green back play any longer.

Well, just 2 or 3 years ago, I thought the same with natural gas, esspecially when all of North America was in a housing boom. (more houses = more heat = more gas).
But, it tanked !
So, in my opinion, even though inventory says we have enough. Natural gas might be a better bet ??

diesel96

crack heads do seem to have their prioritys set straight. Liberals tend to give us huge government spending programs when the economy needs fixing.

Look around....the inherited freefalling economy is improving, and can you really explain the difference between Liberal spending and Conservative spending. When was the last time you can honestly claim we had fiscal conservatives in the Whitehouse....

unionman

Consumer behavior shows recession is over

By Chris Isidore, senior writerApril 7, 2010: 11:21 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Economists have been saying for a while that the Great Recession has ended. Now, there are signs that the general public is finally starting to agree.

Though still pitifully low, consumer confidence is improving.

But some of the positive economic news of recent weeks, like the best job gains in three years, the continued stock market rally and early signs of a turnaround in home values, is starting to make people more hopeful.
It's a growing optimism that can best be seen in consumers' actions, not their answers to various polls.

"If you look at what they're saying, they're still very nervous," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com. "But if you look at what they're doing, they're more convinced that things have turned the corner."
Voting with their wallets
Consumer spending is improving at a faster pace than many had expected at this stage in the recovery.

The savings rate, which soared last year when people were afraid they'd lose their jobs and homes, has started to decline.

"That's an indication of increased confidence," said Keith Hembre, chief economist at First American Funds.

And home prices appear to be stabilizing too. With three quarters of month-over-month gains, according to S&P/Case-Shiller.Although prices lower than they were a year ago, the free fall seems to have ended.

"I think people are coming to the conclusion the worst is pretty close to over in the housing market," said Zandi.
A key retail sales report on Thursday is expected to show that chain-store sales grew at a 6% rate in March. That would be the best increase in three years.

And auto sales are also improving, with almost all automakers posting double-digit percentage gains in March.
Jobs mean confidence
While the jobs picture is still gloomy, there are signs of improvement there too.
Unemployment remains close to 10%, with few forecasts of large decreases anytime soon. Those who are out of work have been looking for a job for almost eight months on average, a record duration for long-term unemployment.
But the number of discouraged unemployed workers who had dropped out of the labor market fell by more than 200,000 last month, as they began looking for jobs again.

"That's a sign of greater confidence in what is going on," said Zandi.

0:00 /1:52Geithner: Job rebound near
And while the closely-followed reading of employer payrolls show only modest job gains, the number of Americans surveyed by the Labor Department who say they now have work has shot up by 1.1 million this year.
Some economists believe that means the labor market